PDA

View Full Version : California Modified Exhaust Ticket.

RyanS13
03-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Who has gotten one recently?
Where you able to get it signed off or did you get sent to a referee station?

I got one about 6 months ago and I put the stock exhaust back onto the car, and drove to the CHP office in Santa Fe Springs, but they wouldn't sign off the ticket. they put a sticker on the back to send me to a ref station.

I pulled the sticker off and tried the Long Beach courthouse to get it signed off and they did the same thing.

The charge for the referee station was like $130 and to just pay the tickets fine was like $103 so I just paid the fine.

But is there any way to still get this thing signed off and not have to go through a referee station?

jesse_s13
03-23-2011, 10:29 AM
My buddy got one in my old s13 all we did is put a silencer on the muffler and pay 10 bucks for the sign off. We took it to the sheriffs department.

Aoshi112
03-23-2011, 10:31 AM
I got an exhaust ticket earlier this year. Officer advised to just switch back to stock and get it signed off. I have a SR20 swap so I was afraid to put on the stocker and go the cops and get it signed off. I was looking for a friend who knew a cop to help sign off my ticket but that didn't pan out. However a couple weeks later I got a letter in the mail from the officer, changing it to NON-CORRECTABLE and I have to pay the fine.

RyanS13
03-23-2011, 10:36 AM
I got an exhaust ticket earlier this year. Officer advised to just switch back to stock and get it signed off. I have a SR20 swap so I was afraid to put on the stocker and go the cops and get it signed off. I was looking for a friend who knew a cop to help sign off my ticket but that didn't pan out. However a couple weeks later I got a letter in the mail from the officer, changing it to NON-CORRECTABLE and I have to pay the fine.

How much was your fine?

91cupcake240
03-23-2011, 10:49 AM
My fine for my exhaust ticket is $560 /: only cuz I forgot all about it and never did anything....

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

RyanS13
03-23-2011, 10:54 AM
I just called the East LA CHP office and the guy on the phone said that "We are not equipped to sign off that ticket, and any officer who signs off that ticket just plain doesn't know what he's doing"

s13 drifta
03-23-2011, 10:55 AM
That's why I moved to Nevada.

Aoshi112
03-23-2011, 10:55 AM
How much was your fine?

$190. Pretty whack for my first offense.

Fonix36
03-23-2011, 10:57 AM
i got one all i did was put the stock cat back on. went to the inspection all he did was tell me to turn the car on and he looked at the tip and wrote up the paper work.
i went to the clerk payed i think 15 and that was it done and done painless

RyanS13
03-23-2011, 10:59 AM
i got one all i did was put the stock cat back on. went to the inspection all he did was tell me to turn the car on and he looked at the tip and wrote up the paper work.
i went to the clerk payed i think 15 and that was it done and done painless

When was this though?

RyanS13
03-23-2011, 11:00 AM
$190. Pretty whack for my first offense.

Damn thats way more than mine was.

Aoshi112
03-23-2011, 11:01 AM
yea freaking sucks.

Try calling the local sherriff's office or CHP to see if they will sign off your ticket.

RyanS13
03-23-2011, 11:08 AM
yea freaking sucks.

Try calling the local sherriff's office or CHP to see if they will sign off your ticket.

I just called Downey Police Department and the guy in the back said that the front desk will sign it off. I'm not to sure if he knew his stuff though. I'll drive down there and check it out.

Fonix36
03-23-2011, 11:09 AM
It was about a year ago now.
i had headers and straight pipe on my single cam when i got the ticket.

when i took my car to get inspected it was a week after the track.
and it had no front bumper, and gutted as fuck

kevmeistah21
03-23-2011, 11:10 AM
I got mine written off by the CHP last october and i recently got another one.. Hopefully nothing changed for 2011 and i can get it written off again. Paid $25 at the clerks office after it was written off! I <3 CHP FRIENDS!

RyanS13
03-23-2011, 11:16 AM
I got mine written off by the CHP last october and i recently got another one.. Hopefully nothing changed for 2011 and i can get it written off again. Paid $25 at the clerks office after it was written off! I <3 CHP FRIENDS!

I asked the guy on the phone when I called the CHP office if any laws have been changed that now they can't sign them off, because my brother has gotten them signed off in the past, and he said no its always been the same way.

kevmeistah21
03-23-2011, 11:36 AM
fackkkkk. well at least it's under $200!

Touge Whore
03-23-2011, 11:43 AM
I asked the guy on the phone when I called the CHP office if any laws have been changed that now they can't sign them off, because my brother has gotten them signed off in the past, and he said no its always been the same way.

I wonder if this is really true, or if particular departments just don't want to deal with those kind of citations. I understand if it is "non-correctable," but it's weird that people are still getting them signed off from certain places and not others.

Vatche
03-23-2011, 12:21 PM
last i heard a few years ago they changed the laws of exhaust tickets. any modification to a muffler is a non correctable fine. and the price of the fine goes up every ticket you get.

im curious to know why people are still able to get them signed off. modified muffler became non correctable like 2-3 years ago...

maxtrbo93
03-23-2011, 12:43 PM
i run 4" straight pipes all day through police station parking lots.

welcome to canada.

kevmeistah21
03-23-2011, 12:52 PM
last i heard a few years ago they changed the laws of exhaust tickets. any modification to a muffler is a non correctable fine. and the price of the fine goes up every ticket you get.

im curious to know why people are still able to get them signed off. modified muffler became non correctable like 2-3 years ago...

it's said correctable on both of my tickets! Both cops said i have to throw my stock exhaust on and get it replaced. One cop said i can throw the stock on, get it signed, and throw my exhaust back on if i wanted to.

Okinawandrifter87
03-23-2011, 12:54 PM

Great... now Im kinda wondering the same thing now my self..

Slidin' Sam
03-23-2011, 01:27 PM
I don't see how you can NOT correct a muffler violation...

Okinawandrifter87
03-23-2011, 01:29 PM
I haven't Lived in California since end of 08 but I did not know that it was no longer correctable.

jacobs13
03-23-2011, 02:11 PM
California sucks, I get pulled over all the time for exhaust and what not. Usually I get away with acting like I know nothing about cars and say I bought it this way and hate how loud it is and say im saving up for a quiet. Worked about 3 times. When they do give you a ticket it seems to me like whatever mood they are in that day is the amount you pay. I paid 525 for fix it tickets becuase I sold a car with before getting the tickets fixed but I couldnt drive it because of the tickets? So he said just show proof of release of liability, i did, judge didnt care and gladly gave me a 525 ticket. I hate cops, even when half of them half of them have cars with mods at home.

boobs13
03-23-2011, 02:36 PM
California sucks, even when half of them have cars with mods at home.

^exactly!

I'm on extention on both of my tickets right now.

1) Stupid carpool ticket.

2) My Modified exhaust which my fine is $204.00, Or for corrections- $25.00. Hopefully they can sign off my fix it ticket because I'm kinda scared of my SR swap :(

The stupid thing about my modified exhaust ticket is, he wasn't even a real cop, he was a school cop.

Touge Whore
03-23-2011, 02:47 PM
See, but I think there may be two different types of exhaust tickets depending on how they site you. When I got my exhaust ticket years ago, it was classified under "modified emissions" and was non-correctable. I went to court to contest it because I spun bearings on the engine and couldn't fix it, but even the judge said she could not reverse it.

fckillerbee
03-23-2011, 03:30 PM
there are like 3 or 4 different modified exhaust tickets. If the cop was a homo, he could have written you a non correctable ticket (what this guy did to me when he popped my hood to find a stock KA). As I was telling him its the stock exhaust, that I just have a leak, he was being a dick head and gave me this ticket. Non-correctable. It all depends on which section code the ticket is. I think two of them are correctable...and the others are just fines.

Om1kron
03-23-2011, 03:33 PM
pretty much they will send you to the ref for what they feel fit, some cool cops will sign them off other cops will follow procedure to keep the ref in business and send you there first.

You can try to get your exhaust certified (which I tried) and if you do you pay the fine, if a cop comes and tries to give you an exhaust ticket again you whip out your paperwork telling him to eat a dick ref said my exhaust meets the db level of 98. mine unfortunately was 108db so I pay the fine and haven't dealt with any dickhead cops since.

Touge Whore
03-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Damn, that sucks man. So, I guess it just depends on which violation the cop wants to put down...

fckillerbee
03-23-2011, 03:40 PM
I'll look into the cert. where is this done at? a ref station?

drift freaq
03-23-2011, 03:45 PM
I wonder if this is really true, or if particular departments just don't want to deal with those kind of citations. I understand if it is "non-correctable," but it's weird that people are still getting them signed off from certain places and not others.

If you get a correctable violation ( they can write it for correctable or not depending on the cop) then you now have to take it to the ref to get it signed off.

The bitch about this is when it used to be the CHP they would just come out listen look and say ok your good.

The refs depending on which one you go to can be little ......... about it. I remember taking my car in and the ref wanted to put the car on the dyno to test it under load! WTF bwahahahhaha fucker knew absolutely nothing about the physics of sound.

A car does not get louder under load. Its the same DB as revving it up in neutral to the test rpm. LOL
He then found a leaking hose and said I cannot test you without that fixed. LOL

Oh and this fucker was at LA Trade tech if anyone wants to know steer clear of those fools.

matts13vert
03-23-2011, 04:10 PM
I got the same ticket a less than a year ago, and they changed the law now (from what i was told by a police officer). If you get a modified exhaust ticket or modified anything you have to reinstall all the original parts and get it inspected and passed by a referee station. Cost me in total for welding on a stock muffler $160-180. The ref insp. cost was over 100, all they do is check you motor for any illegal mods, turbo, intake, header, etc and perform a decibel test.

The folks at el camino are nice. But make sure you motor you have no obvious problems, low oil, coolant, etc.

uraznfriend
03-23-2011, 04:38 PM
i just got a reff ticket saturday and it was modified emissions and now i have to take to the ref station and i would be able to pass because to emissions delete, how happens if i go to the ref and not pass?

singlecamslam
03-23-2011, 05:21 PM
OH yes, the california ref horror stories. A friend of mine got one for a intake filter. 500 bucks, "modified emmisions" I almost passed out when he showed that shit to me. He fixed it, and they still made him pay the fine. Welcome to commiefornia.

Forge_55b
03-23-2011, 06:36 PM
pretty much they will send you to the ref for what they feel fit, some cool cops will sign them off other cops will follow procedure to keep the ref in business and send you there first.

You can try to get your exhaust certified (which I tried) and if you do you pay the fine, if a cop comes and tries to give you an exhaust ticket again you whip out your paperwork telling him to eat a dick ref said my exhaust meets the db level of 98. mine unfortunately was 108db so I pay the fine and haven't dealt with any dickhead cops since.

getting it certified is still useless cause they can give you a ticket anyways. you still have to get it inspected or signed off (depends if the cop checked correctable or not) then take it to the court house to pay the $25 and waste a shitload of time.

ZRiotFloorin'
03-23-2011, 06:50 PM

So 98 db is the legal sound limitation? 98 db is pretty damn high.
I recently got a single exhaust for my 350z. It's so loud (for me) that my left ear hurts. I went to autox event that limits the sound to 93 db. There was the soundtester in the course.
They never said anything about my exhaust so i guess mine's under 93 db.

ZRiotFloorin'
03-23-2011, 07:00 PM
i just got a reff ticket saturday and it was modified emissions and now i have to take to the ref station and i would be able to pass because to emissions delete, how happens if i go to the ref and not pass?

if you fucking with emission like test pipes, won't they impound your car?

Mita Orange
03-23-2011, 07:02 PM
i just payed off my exhaust ticket. it was only $25. i got cited late February and i just took it to Baldwin Park CHP he came out side told me to rev my car and then he signed it off and sent $25 to the court; all good.

AGNT84
03-23-2011, 07:06 PM
He fixed it, and they still made him pay the fine. Welcome to commiefornia.

seriously,i remember when i got a modified exhaust ticket and all i had to do was replace it and pay 10 bucks. Just because the cop wants to be a dick. man fuckin california....i love it here :-/

Lees_Garage
03-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Every time I get a correctable violation I take it to the police station and the guy at the front desk signs it off. Half of the time he does not even check to see if I fixed it.

rollout240
03-24-2011, 01:32 AM
cops will be dicks true. i got a modified exhaust ticket, 2751 (a) V.C mod. exhaust. This one is supposedly correctable. Truth is thats a negative. The state needs money so they are trying to get every penny possible out of you. so everyone is going to give mixed messages on if it correctable or not.
i have an sr 3" straight pipe and loud as hell. i put the stock back on and was contemplating if i wanted to take it to the chp. They told me nope. we dont write them off anymore. he said its the new law that passed for 2010/11 or what not. bs, bs, bs. so he said heres the number to call, (it was the reff. dept.) So now they want to send you to the reff. so that they can write you up for more shit.
even if you are KA they WILL find stuff to make you not pass the test.

the best thing to do is to go to the court and pay it off. i payed 180 in january and took that load off my back. It was my first mod. ex. tickets. they increase if you get caught again.

there is also the ticket 2750 (a) V.C mod. emissions. This one is not correctible. For this one they either popped your hood or where dicks and just wanted to get more from you. If they popped you for a loud exhaust and didnt pop you hood then def. they were having a bad day and took it out on you.

This ticket is about $650. straight to court and pay it off.

Likethunda
03-24-2011, 02:06 PM
^exactly!

The stupid thing about my modified exhaust ticket is, he wasn't even a real cop, he was a school cop.

Lmao... at the end of the day he is still a cop... ive goten tons of dumb tickets from "school cops"

boobs13
03-24-2011, 02:35 PM
cops will be dicks true. i got a modified exhaust ticket, 2751 (a) V.C mod. exhaust. This one is supposedly correctable. Truth is thats a negative. The state needs money so they are trying to get every penny possible out of you. so everyone is going to give mixed messages on if it correctable or not.

Great, I have the same Violation number :mad:

03-24-2011, 02:48 PM
I pulled the sticker off and tried the Long Beach courthouse to get it signed off and they did the same thing.
this is HELLA illegal

I'm on extention on both of my tickets right now.

1) Stupid carpool ticket.

2) My Modified exhaust which my fine is $204.00, Or for corrections- $25.00. Hopefully they can sign off my fix it ticket because I'm kinda scared of my SR swap :(

violating car pool is your own fault. don't get angry at california

boobs13
03-24-2011, 03:11 PM
I should be angry at california, Because there were no signs what so ever that said "Carpool lane".

Banana_Cute
03-24-2011, 03:18 PM
I should be angry at california, Because there were no signs what so ever that said "Carpool lane".

Take a picture of it and show it to to the judge, if you have enough evidence that there is no sign, or even those carpool lanes 1 white 2 yellow. You should win.

Other than that, I saw a dude when i went to court about carpool violation. The judge didnt give a rats ass about his request for lowering the fine, and then the judge even RAISED fine when the guy asked for monthly payment. :down:

Other than that....I have NOT gotten ANY exhaust ticket since ive owned a 240sx...4-5 yrs ago, and ive had about 4-5 of em. *knocksonwood*

So yeah, now reading all this make me think twice of getting another one.

Last time i got it, i jst threw my stock exhaust on, no cat no reso, and went to the local PD and they jst told me to rev the engine @ 3500 steady. Then got my shit signed off...Then again this was a few yrs ago.

GL to you guys.

Kiro1968
03-24-2011, 05:33 PM
I believe exhaust dB levels is 95 and not 98. In the late 90's I got pulled over 4x for loud exhaust in my Civic and each time I was told its not correctable, and the last ticket cost me $500. If I was to upgrade the exhaust on my 240sx daily beater I would look for something that is close to stock as possible that is quiet but with a little performance to it. Calfornia is soooo in debt they are trying to find every little thing to get you for. Just my thoughts ^_^

03-24-2011, 05:37 PM
stop spending so much on tickets and buy a daily driver

spooled240
03-24-2011, 05:50 PM
i got a modified exhaust ticket on halloween night last year and it was not correctable. I went to court, saw the clerk and she changed it to "correctable violation" Got the stock exhaust back on,got it signed off and paid 25 bucks at the courthouse.

Remember exhaust not only has to be quiet, it has to LOOK stock as well. My exhaust is quiet, especially when the cop was behind me I kept it under 1/2 throttle and under 2K rpms but an HKS hi-power isn't exactly the most subtle-looking exhaust out there lol.

i really don't know what constitutes a "modified" exhaust, how shiny it is? or how cool it looks? A quiet aftermarket cat-back should be perfectly legal but it isn't.

Forge_55b
03-24-2011, 06:38 PM
i really don't know what constitutes a "modified" exhaust, how shiny it is? or how cool it looks? A quiet aftermarket cat-back should be perfectly legal but it isn't.

Did some research on the laws and it is pretty much up to the cop to decide if a muffler is modified. I know someone with a stock G35 that got a modified exhaust ticket even though it was already stock. And there is always a way to resolve the exhaust ticket law with either the CHP sign off or going to a ref to have it tested and signed off, correctable or non-correctable, those are always the two options. In the end though it is still a pretty bogus law considering harleys and sport bikes are 1000x louder then most "modified" exhaust cars.

s13-ghost
03-24-2011, 08:20 PM
this is so true^. there is a guy around the block wit his bike always goin slow n its loud as f. i dont mind loud noise but cmon 10pm and wit that. wtf?????

mawticulous
03-24-2011, 09:38 PM
Who has gotten one recently?
Where you able to get it signed off or did you get sent to a referee station?

I got one about 6 months ago and I put the stock exhaust back onto the car, and drove to the CHP office in Santa Fe Springs, but they wouldn't sign off the ticket. they put a sticker on the back to send me to a ref station.

The charge for the referee station was like $130 and to just pay the tickets fine was like $103 so I just paid the fine.

But is there any way to still get this thing signed off and not have to go through a referee station?

wow, 130 charge for ref and 103 for fine u got lucky, i got one on my honda about a year and half ago and i went to the ref, he said it would b 8.25 for the smog test which i didnt pass any of the 5 times i went. so i said fuck it and paid the 600 dollar fine, idk how u got a 103$ fine

mawticulous
03-24-2011, 09:39 PM
Did some research on the laws and it is pretty much up to the cop to decide if a muffler is modified. I know someone with a stock G35 that got a modified exhaust ticket even though it was already stock. And there is always a way to resolve the exhaust ticket law with either the CHP sign off or going to a ref to have it tested and signed off, correctable or non-correctable, those are always the two options. In the end though it is still a pretty bogus law considering harleys and sport bikes are 1000x louder then most "modified" exhaust cars.

motorcycles dont have to pass smog thats why u can str8 pipe the hell outa bikes and get away with it

rollout240
03-25-2011, 04:08 AM
Great, I have the same Violation number :mad:

yeah man give it a shot. but if your SR id say just pay the fine. No way you wanna risk more "violations". =(

Yeah i totally agree. If i have and OEM exhaust that is 20 years old and falling apart am i not suppose to modify the car to fix it?? I really dont understand there bs.
The sound is one thing but really. i had the megan exhaust which is one of the most "stock" looking exhausts and the cop popped me. wtf? so i guess modified=loud.

stick a million resonators in there and your set haha.

ZRiotFloorin'
03-25-2011, 03:24 PM
I believe exhaust dB levels is 95 and not 98. In the late 90's I got pulled over 4x for loud exhaust in my Civic and each time I was told its not correctable, and the last ticket cost me $500. If I was to upgrade the exhaust on my 240sx daily beater I would look for something that is close to stock as possible that is quiet but with a little performance to it. Calfornia is soooo in debt they are trying to find every little thing to get you for. Just my thoughts ^_^

wait, so even though it's an aftermarket exhaust, as long as it's under 95 db, i'm ok?

daryl337
03-25-2011, 03:54 PM
See, but I think there may be two different types of exhaust tickets depending on how they site you. When I got my exhaust ticket years ago, it was classified under "modified emissions" and was non-correctable. I went to court to contest it because I spun bearings on the engine and couldn't fix it, but even the judge said she could not reverse it.

You spun bearings, and the cop that showed up gave you a modded exhaust ticket? What a prick. ¬.¬

rollout240
03-25-2011, 03:54 PM
wait, so even though it's an aftermarket exhaust, as long as it's under 95 db, i'm ok?

to help yupppers thats usually the case. only thing it's you against the law. They always find a way to make it work on their side. But under 95 db's it's technically legal in CAli.

ZRiotFloorin'
03-25-2011, 04:09 PM
^^ haha!!nice . I've been driving so carefully since it's damn loud at low RPM.
At WOT, it's under 93 db so i'm safe! they can't fuck with me :)

NissanEnthus
03-25-2011, 04:28 PM
I dont think its as simple as "it's under 93 db so i'm safe! they can't fuck with me"....Cops will give their tickets to whom ever they want, when they want. Sure you can rock those exhausts but for how long till you get the one dick not meeting a quota or having a bad day.....You have a Z so its more difficult to see a modified exhaust, where as a 240 with a "cannon" style or almost any aftermarket will stand out. As close to stock is the way to go....too bad its at the cost of performance and looks...California laws are deppressing....

NissanEnthus
03-25-2011, 04:36 PM
motorcycles dont have to pass smog thats why u can str8 pipe the hell outa bikes and get away with it

Thats a F*^&kin double standard I cant stand either.....Those annoying ass idiots on choppers.....Its all about money I guess, why pass a law for a small percenatge of bike riders when they can go after thousands of cars right....

rollout240
03-25-2011, 04:44 PM
I dont think its as simple as "it's under 93 db so i'm safe! they can't fuck with me"....Cops will give their tickets to whom ever they want, when they want. Sure you can rock those exhausts but for how long till you get the one dick not meeting a quota or having a bad day.....You have a Z so its more difficult to see a modified exhaust, where as a 240 with a "cannon" style or almost any aftermarket will stand out. As close to stock is the way to go....too bad its at the cost of performance and looks...California laws are deppressing....

^^^ this!! You're in cali dude. you could be runnig 80 db's and because the cop is the "law" he can decide whether its loud or not. and now a days there is no such thing as a db meter reading machine or whatever. If "they" say it's loud then it's loud.

rule of thumb. your words vs. a cop = fail.

4-20sx
03-25-2011, 04:48 PM
get a daily.

if you got an exhaust, get one that looks nearly stock (loving my megan type 2 because its super low key and not loud unless full throttle)

i used to have a N1 on my s14 and drove it for like 5 years daily before i got my accord. never got a ticket until this f*ken biker cop decides to pull me over in Arcadia. I told the cop your the first cop to pull me over for this in 5 years. He told me "looks like your not lucky anymore". I was pissed. Put back my stock exhaust on and went to a ref station. Cop reved it and wrote me off. Payed the 15 bucks was done with it.

Fender Defender
03-26-2011, 01:21 AM
Damn I was in Irvine to pickup some parts for my car and the guy wanted to meet at a in and out. There was a lady sheriff there and I was parked and she just saw my exhaust and gave me a ticket... I was at the wrong place at the wrong time. There was a small car meet right there. Damn these laws... got a 27150(a)vc Modified exhaust and she told me it was correctable I asked her like twice to make sure. hmmm now I'm kinda swayed

hOngsterr
03-26-2011, 01:50 AM
i got all mine taken care of at CHP, looked for sound and signed off 25 bucks each ticket.

karl wasabi
03-26-2011, 03:38 AM
I got one of these tickets a couple months ago. The exhaust on my BMW looks completely stock, but the officer said it "sounded" modified. So they can give you a "modified" exhaust ticket just for the sound. I asked if I could get it corrected and they said to put the stock exhaust back on. I figured it's not that loud so I went to CHP as is the officer and made me turn my car on. As soon as the car started he said it's too loud.

I asked him, how can you determine it's too loud just by hearing it. Basically he said he knows it's too loud. I asked if I could take the car to the REF to get it decibel rated, but that's $130 now days. It used to be free IIRC.

A couple years ago I got pulled over with the REF decibel rating test and the cop let me go when I showed it to him. Now days I don't think you can get away with anything. Pretty lame.

pignose4life
03-26-2011, 02:14 PM
if you got a fix it ticket then you lucked out if you have a swap or anything like that because you can get any law officer to sign it off, if not you would have to go to the ref station and all that bs. any ways i got the same ticket found a baldwin park officer showed him a pic of my old exhaust(apexi n1), i have a stock looking dual tip now he didnt even tell me to turn on my car just signed the back and went on his way.

NissanEnthus
03-26-2011, 02:26 PM
if you got a fix it ticket then you lucked out if you have a swap or anything like that because you can get any law officer to sign it off, if not you would have to go to the ref station and all that bs. any ways i got the same ticket found a baldwin park officer showed him a pic of my old exhaust(apexi n1), i have a stock looking dual tip now he didnt even tell me to turn on my car just signed the back and went on his way.

Any pics of your exhaust? is it brand name or custom?

Jared0934
03-26-2011, 07:53 PM
So what exactly happens if you have a swap and you get pulled over? Anyone have personal experience? o_O I'd imagine it's worse then an exhaust fix it ticket, I keep hearing different things though.

boobs13
03-27-2011, 11:17 AM
^ your get fuck in the butt real hard. :(

Jared0934
03-27-2011, 11:19 AM
no lube? spit? nothing? I mean, is it just they tell you either get it fixed or get it off the streets? or is it straight to the impound lot / crush lot...

boobs13
03-27-2011, 11:26 AM
IDK? I hear a lot of different stories from different ppl.

I've heard:
-impounded my car right there and then
-got a ref ticket
-even heard some ppl get fine for it
-and etc etc.

But I don't think they can crush your car, Why? just because you have a sr or something. Yes, They can crush it if they catch you "street race".

Jared0934
03-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Just curious because lke you said I've heard different stories and I want to know if anyone had experience with a hood pop getting caught with a swap. Fines are cool, and I'm not a douchebag so I dont street race, I just would hate for my baby to get crushed or impounded... CA is on some buuuullllshheeeaattt these days

boobs13
03-27-2011, 12:37 PM
Dude just like what rollout240 said, the cops is the "law".

He can do anything he wants, by telling you to pop your hood

or to sit on the curve. Sucks but that's life.

Us verse them!

VertTwins
03-30-2011, 05:48 AM
You guys would benifit greatly if you would take the time to know the law. It is online now and easy reading.

V C Section 27151 Modification of Exhaust Systems

Modification of Exhaust Systems

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.
(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

Amended Sec. 10, Ch. 92, Stats. 2001. Effective January 1, 2002.

Vehicle Exhaust Noise Level Certification

California law requires that all vehicles must be equipped with an adequate muffler to prevent excessive noise from the exhaust system. It also prohibits the operation of a passenger vehicle (other than a motorcycle), or a truck with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of less than 6,000 pounds, that has an exhaust noise level greater than 95 decibels, when tested under specified conditions. </SPAN>If you have been issued a citation for operating a vehicle in violation of Vehicle Code Section 27150 or 27151, you must take your vehicle to a state Referee Center.
Note: The Referee is only authorized to inspect and certify passenger cars and trucks under 6,000 GVWR that have been cited for a violation of Section 27150 or 27151 of the Vehicle Code. The maximum decibel level applies only to those vehicles. Citations issued to other vehicles (motorcycles, trucks exceeding 5999 pounds GVWR) are not part of this program. Check with the agency that issued the citation, and/or the court, to find out how to show proof of correction for these other vehicles.
The following steps outline the procedures you'll need to follow to get a certificate of compliance, which shows your vehicle's exhaust noise level is within the applicable standards.
STEP 1
If you feel your vehicle's exhaust system has been modified or has deteriorated so that the noise level exceeds current standards, you should have the exhaust system repaired before proceeding to step 2.
OR
If you have reason to believe that your vehicle's exhaust noise level meets the current standards, proceed directly to step 2.
Note that citations have a court appearance date.]
[Timely action can help you avoid additional fines and penalties.]
STEP 2
Have your vehicle tested at a state Referee Center. To make an appointment, call the Referee Scheduling Center at (800) 622-7733. Have the citation and vehicle registration with you when you call. The Center will tell you any fees that will need to be paid for the test.
STEP 3
The Referee will conduct an exhaust noise level test in accordance with the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) standard J1169, May 1998, to determine if your vehicle's exhaust noise level exceeds the noise standard (95db).
If your vehicle meets the standard, the Referee will give you a "Certificate of Compliance." Take the certificate to the court (See Step 5).
If your vehicle does not meet the standard, the Referee will give you a report that lists the recorded decibel readings. Your vehicle must be repaired to meet the standard of not more than 95 decibels (See Step 4).
STEP 4
If your vehicle does not meet the standard, additional repairs must be made before you can make a second appointment with the Referee Scheduling Center.
STEP 5
Once your vehicle receives a "Certificate of Compliance" from a Referee Center, present the certificate to the court as proof that your vehicle is in compliance with California law.
NOTE: Inspection fees and any necessary repairs are your responsibility. You may also be required to pay a fine and other legal costs when reporting to the court. Also, note that most citations have a deadline. Timely repairs can help you avoid additional fines and penalties.
If you have any questions, please contact the local law enforcement agency that issued the citation or the Bureau of Automotive Repair at (800) 952-5210.

In 2004 an assembly bill went through that removed the cops ability to "use his own judgment" on your exhaust system. He must send you to the ref with either 27150 or 27151, end of story.He can only use his judgement to issue you a ticket to get it checked if he believes it is. However these laws still do not give you the ability to disrespect the cop. If you get a cop that wants to play outside the law and tell you it is his judgement just play along swollow your pride and knowledge of law and say yes sir. Then take your knowledge to court and politly give him a beat down with the law. Know how to present your case in court with legal facts.Do not be a smart ass, you will just give the judge reason to rule against you. Also besure you have the certification in hand from the ref when you go to court. The ref has to test you with either of those violations.

The thing is cops profile young people with modified cars especially in southern california. I live in Nor-Cal and have been pulled over by a cop with my current exhaust that is not factory,is 3 inch duals at the back is pretty noisy but likely within the 95db limit. He pulled me over to let me know I had a tail light out, no ticket and no mention of my exhaust,body kit,silvia front end, or anything else about my car. There was no hood pop and absolutly no concern with anything mechanical on my car. Just gave me a heads up. The reason I got off... I am over 40....lol Old people dont suffer the same fate. When I was in my late teens and 20's It was a weekly event. It got to the point I penciled it in my schedule.

VertTwins
03-30-2011, 06:00 AM
I seperated this from my first post due to its length. This is 27150 in its entirety.

VC 27150 Adequate Muffler Requirement

27150. (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

(b) Except as provided in Division 16.5 (commencing with Section 38000) with respect to off-highway motor vehicles subject to identification, every passenger vehicle operated off the highways shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained so as to meet the requirements of Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200), and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

(c) The provisions of subdivision (b) shall not be applicable to passenger vehicles being operated off the highways in an organized racing or competitive event conducted under the auspices of a recognized sanctioning body or by permit issued by the local governmental authority having jurisdiction.

(Amended by Stats. 1977, Ch. 558.)

VC 27150.1 Sale of Uncertified Exhaust System

27150.1. No person engaged in a business that involves the selling of motor vehicle exhaust systems, or parts thereof, including, but not limited to, mufflers, shall offer for sale, sell, or install, a motor vehicle exhaust system, or part thereof, including, but not limited to, a muffler, unless it meets the regulations and standards applicable pursuant to this article. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

A violation of this section is a misdemeanor.

(Amended by Stats. 1973, Ch. 610; amended by Stats. 2001, Ch. 92, Sec. 3; amended by Stats. 2002, Ch. 569, Sec. 2).)

VC 27150.2 Testing of Exhaust Systems

27150.2. (a) Stations providing referee functions pursuant to Section 44036 of the Health and Safety Code shall provide for the testing of vehicular exhaust systems and the issuance of certificates of compliance only for those vehicles that have received a citation for a violation of Section 27150 or 27151.

(b) A certificate of compliance for a vehicular exhaust system shall be issued pursuant to subdivision (a) if the vehicle complies with Sections 27150 and 27151. Exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles, other than motorcycles, with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds comply with Sections 27150 and 27151 if they emit no more than 95 dbA when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998.

(c) An exhaust system certificate of compliance issued pursuant to subdivision (a) shall identify, to the extent possible, the make, model, year, license number, and vehicle identification number of the vehicle tested, and the make and model of the exhaust system installed on the vehicle.

(d) The station shall charge a fee for the exhaust system certificate of compliance issued pursuant to subdivision (a). The fee charged shall be calculated to recover the costs incurred by the Department of Consumer Affairs to implement this section. The fees charged by the station shall be deposited in the Vehicle Inspection and Repair Fund established by Section 44062 of the Health and Safety Code.

(e) Vehicular exhaust systems are exempt from the requirements of Sections 27150 and 27151 if compliance with those sections, or the regulations adopted pursuant thereto, would cause an unreasonable hardship without resulting in a sufficient corresponding benefit with respect to noise level control.

(Added by Stats. 1971, Ch. 1769; amended by Stats. 2001, Ch. 92, Sec. 4; amended by Stats. 2002, Ch. 569, Sec. 3.)

VC 27150.5 Sale of Non-Complying Exhaust Systems

27150.5. Any person holding a retail seller's permit who sells or installs an exhaust system, or part thereof, including, but not limited to, a muffler, in violation of Section 27150.1 or 27150.2 or the regulations adopted pursuant thereto, shall thereafter be required to install an exhaust system, or part thereof, including, but not limited to, a muffler, which is in compliance with such regulations upon demand of the purchaser or registered owner of the vehicle concerned, or to reimburse the purchaser or registered owner for the expense of replacement and installation of an exhaust system, or part thereof, including, but not limited to, a muffler, which is in compliance, at the election of such purchaser or registered owner.

(Added by Stats. 1971, Ch. 1769.)

VC 27150.7 Certified Exhaust System; Court Dismissal

27150.7. A court may dismiss any action in which a person is prosecuted for operating a vehicle in violation of Section 27150 or 27151 if a certificate of compliance has been issued by a station pursuant to Section 27150.2, or if the defendant had reasonable grounds to believe that the exhaust system was in good working order and had reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in violation of Section 27150 or 27151.

(Added by Stats. 1971, Ch. 1769; amended by Stats. 2001, Ch. 92, Sec. 8; amended by Stats. 2002, Ch. 569, Sec. 4.)

mawticulous
03-30-2011, 04:05 PM
first off i know the law about the exhaust. but i really dont care about it. my car is illegal as hell, str8 piped, too low, illegal steering wheel, illegal motor, hids in reflector housings.i dont care what is illegal, if i get a ticket ill just get it wrote off or pay the fine. eveything is better illegal. dont assume that we all dont know the law about our cars. i check to see the law about something new i add to my car all the time so i know what they can pop me for. and alot of the laws are ridiculous cuz they'll pull you over for being too low but have you seen them pull over a raised truck for being too fuckin high cuz i never have.

Touge Whore
03-30-2011, 05:12 PM
first off i know the law about the exhaust. but i really dont care about it. my car is illegal as hell, str8 piped, too low, illegal steering wheel, illegal motor, hids in reflector housings.i dont care what is illegal, if i get a ticket ill just get it wrote off or pay the fine. eveything is better illegal. dont assume that we all dont know the law about our cars. i check to see the law about something new i add to my car all the time so i know what they can pop me for. and alot of the laws are ridiculous cuz they'll pull you over for being too low but have you seen them pull over a raised truck for being too fuckin high cuz i never have.

He wasn't assuming that we all "dont know the law about our cars." He was referencing those laws to prove his point regarding attitude and when to fight back. Like him, I have been pulled over a couple times with my current s-chassis, yet never receieved a ticket. You know why? I don't act like a angry-at-daddy, prepubescent child when I'm pulled over. Judging by your rant about, "everything is better illegal," you demonstrate this complex pretty well. Just chill out, take a grade school grammar class, and figure out the real reason you're angry at life.

P.S. - Yes, lifted trucks do get pulled over as well. Mudflaps man, mudflaps.

mawticulous
03-30-2011, 06:14 PM
He wasn't assuming that we all "dont know the law about our cars." He was referencing those laws to prove his point regarding attitude and when to fight back. Like him, I have been pulled over a couple times with my current s-chassis, yet never receieved a ticket. You know why? I don't act like a angry-at-daddy, prepubescent child when I'm pulled over. Judging by your rant about, "everything is better illegal," you demonstrate this complex pretty well. Just chill out, take a grade school grammar class, and figure out the real reason you're angry at life.

P.S. - Yes, lifted trucks do get pulled over as well. Mudflaps man, mudflaps.
it wasnt really a rant and there was no attitude directed in that reply, i was sayin dont assume meaning some of us know the laws about what we do to our cars and some dont. like swapping the sr20 is illegal but we do it anyways.a persons attitude when they get pulled over doesnt always effect whether or not ur gonna get the ticket. if there gonna give it to u then there gonna give it to you. AND i NEVER said illegal is better. did i? no i just said that everything on my car is illegal and i dont care if i get ticketed for it as far as grammer why would i be precise about it. im not in school typin this out so theres no special need to have it. i know the post seemed like i had an attitude but i did not i was simply stating that I dont not care about illegal st8 piping n what not, i know the risk involved with have illegal mods and assume responsibilty when it comes to cops. in regards to the lifted trucks i was referring to them being to high for the headlights. my budz have never told they got pulled over for being too high but mudflaps i understand if u aint got em. but anywho, and no there isnt any kind of attitude directed towards you right now either and im not angry at my life, im perfectly happy doing what i do. :) Cant we all just get along? lol

pacotaco345
03-30-2011, 08:01 PM
AND i NEVER said illegal is better. did i? no i just said that everything on my car is illegal and i dont care if i get ticketed for it as far as grammer why would i be precise about it

eveything is better illegal.

... ya you said it

mawticulous
03-30-2011, 09:37 PM
eveything is better illegal.

... ya you said it

lol. when i said it in the first post i didnt mean it literally it was a joke, well im not flamming on no one er whatever but my car is pretty well illegal, not my sx tho my hatchy. what i dont understand tho is why if we modify an auto exhaust its illegal but bikes r fine, i mean harleys n sport bikes are waaaaay lounder than autos, esp the muscle cars. you know what i mean. and what i meant by everything is better illegal is that the parts are better permormance wise most of the time. mmmmmm ur name makes me hungry for a choco, and not a choco taco. or a Mcgangbang sounds good too. yum

singlecamslam
03-30-2011, 11:34 PM
If you watch speeders, they give a guy a ticket in a raised up bro truck. Chill out man.

mawticulous
03-30-2011, 11:50 PM
If you watch speeders, they give a guy a ticket in a raised up bro truck. Chill out man.

lol im chill im just sayin have u seen the lifted trucks gettin pulled over in person for their HL bein to high, cuz i sure havent. its not fair that we get labeled as racers or whatever and get harrased for being too low and all the other crazy crap cops pull out of there ass. which i know theres laws on it but atleast were not haulin ass around town everywhere. we choose our times to do the things we do. plus i would think that being low is on you cuz your only screwin up your car (if your scrappin). but as far as the trucks when there too high there lights are all up in ur eyes. i esp hate it when they have hids.

rollout240
03-31-2011, 12:28 AM
lol im chill im just sayin have u seen the lifted trucks gettin pulled over in person for their HL bein to high, cuz i sure havent. its not fair that we get labeled as racers or whatever and get harrased for being too low and all the other crazy crap cops pull out of there ass. which i know theres laws on it but atleast were not haulin ass around town everywhere. we choose our times to do the things we do. plus i would think that being low is on you cuz your only screwin up your car (if your scrappin). but as far as the trucks when there too high there lights are all up in ur eyes. i esp hate it when they have hids.

first- welcome to zilvia :naughty:

and now. so about lifted trucks and hid's and whatever. This thread is about exhaust loudness and the steps to take to correct it or what we've done in regards to exhaust levels.

Illegal sounds better but really it's still illegal. Whether it's a low car, lifted truck, hid's, loud stereo or prostitute in the back seat the law is the law. The law will win 98% of the time. We don't gain anything by holding on to blames and pointing fingers. in the end it's "your" car "your" decision so accept it and handle it. i get popped i pay the fine. simple as that.

to the o.p. hope everything has been cool man!!

Touge Whore
03-31-2011, 10:23 AM
it wasnt really a rant and there was no attitude directed in that reply, i was sayin dont assume meaning some of us know the laws about what we do to our cars and some dont. like swapping the sr20 is illegal but we do it anyways.a persons attitude when they get pulled over doesnt always effect whether or not ur gonna get the ticket. if there gonna give it to u then there gonna give it to you. AND i NEVER said illegal is better. did i? no i just said that everything on my car is illegal and i dont care if i get ticketed for it as far as grammer why would i be precise about it. im not in school typin this out so theres no special need to have it. i know the post seemed like i had an attitude but i did not i was simply stating that I dont not care about illegal st8 piping n what not, i know the risk involved with have illegal mods and assume responsibilty when it comes to cops. in regards to the lifted trucks i was referring to them being to high for the headlights. my budz have never told they got pulled over for being too high but mudflaps i understand if u aint got em. but anywho, and no there isnt any kind of attitude directed towards you right now either and im not angry at my life, im perfectly happy doing what i do. :) Cant we all just get along? lol

My apologies then. I thought you were angry, but I guess you weren't. So yes, we can all get along again...haha.

ShimiBoi
04-01-2011, 02:10 AM
Hey idk if u got ur information, but I work for the state referee at el Camino. If u have to see the ref then u have to see the ref. We charge u 108 for the certificate if u pass. Best to just put back to stock. And it has to hav the right cats or we can't test it. Hope it helped

04-02-2011, 02:53 PM

that is a lie. there are still noise laws. and cops love to pull riders over for after market exhausts.

240_SeXy
04-04-2011, 04:14 AM
vale verga cali

s13-ghost
04-04-2011, 08:43 AM
^ lol cali love

NissanEnthus
04-04-2011, 10:52 AM
that is a lie. there are still noise laws. and cops love to pull riders over for after market exhausts.

You quote someone about lying...but you then you state "Cops LOVE to pull over riders" where do you get your truthful facts from?

VertTwins
04-05-2011, 06:50 AM

As said I do not assume you ALL don't know the law. However clearly some are misinformed. I posted the ACTUAL law with info from previous assembly bills and california BAR website info. Just to give some a loaded weapon when they go to court. Laws are a 2 sided coin and you can not expect every cop to know every detail of the law all the time. They are not in the legal profession. They are mearly pawns used to generate income when it comes to traffic violations. The more serious parts of thier jobs that deserve them total respect is what they spend more of their time learning about, you know being shot at and stuff. They are not an attorney, they do not study law books. They have a general knowledge and error on the side of possible illegal when it comes to making a decision about a ticket.Some do not understand they no longer have the power to make judgement if your exhaust is too loud or not.They can only suspect it and have to send you to the ref to have it tested. Like was said though if you do not have an OEM or a cat with valid E.O.# on it, the ref wont even look at it.

I am a smog tech, not for the ref though. Due to the fines and other legal crap I could get into I would not even consider testing a car that is illegal.Hell even my own car was done with in legal smog requirements. Fewer and fewer smog techs are willing to do it. Those that are are being weeded out by the BAR. Also the BAR/DCA is coming up with a new licensing for smog inspectors and repair techs that should also curb the techs willing to do it.

Also guys be aware the BAR does stings on craigslist. They fake consumered a guy selling a highly modded 240 and slamed him and the smog tech that passed the car in jail for felony fraud.No just paying the fine on that one;)

1llest13
09-16-2011, 01:33 AM
I just got one today as i was delivering something to a company with my car the first time. the cop pulled me over because i dont have a "3rd brake light" I got a s13 hatch so he said the center piece where it says "240sx" is supposed to light up.... then he gave me a ticket for the exhaust. Thank god he didnt pop my hood because im running a sr20. they are both fix it ticket so im happy.

DriftReady_S14
09-16-2011, 11:37 AM
I was running Greddy Ti-c on my s13 coupe (stock KADE). About 3 months ago, I was waiting in front of a redlight and a Santa Clara PD pulled up to my left, right beside me. When light turned green, I started to go. I was looking at him on my sideview mirror and he let me go like 6/7 car lengths ahead of him then he pulls behind me and lights go off. He cited me for having a loud exhaust. I was aware that he was beside me earlier so I took extra cautious on gassing my car for my exhaust to not be loud but I sware Greddy Ti-C exhaust are very mellow but it does have a deep tone but I got pulled over anyway.

Long story short, I got cited for a fix it ticket. Put stock exhaust back on and had a police officer chillin' at a 7/11 writes my ticket off without even looking at my car. Paid $25.00 with the write off and everything was cool.

Edwin562
09-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Last time a cop tried to give me a ticket for "loud exhaust" i asked him nicely if he had a DB meter to measure the decibels on my exhaust. he said no... i stated that he cant give me a ticket becuase he is assuming my exhaust is loud, and that he has no evidence that my exhaust is actually loud. with that said. he let me go and told me he will get me next time with a db meter.... lol dumb ass cop.... BTW i have a set of 3" blast pipe cat back exhaust... all emission intact and no Check engine light... i wana see him give me a ticket for emssions... :) i love having fun with cops..

J2FRESH
09-16-2011, 02:12 PM
lol nice ^

jpbpoway
09-17-2011, 09:18 PM
I was running Greddy Ti-c on my s13 coupe (stock KADE). About 3 months ago, I was waiting in front of a redlight and a Santa Clara PD pulled up to my left, right beside me. When light turned green, I started to go. I was looking at him on my sideview mirror and he let me go like 6/7 car lengths ahead of him then he pulls behind me and lights go off. He cited me for having a loud exhaust. I was aware that he was beside me earlier so I took extra cautious on gassing my car for my exhaust to not be loud but I sware Greddy Ti-C exhaust are very mellow but it does have a deep tone but I got pulled over anyway.

Long story short, I got cited for a fix it ticket. Put stock exhaust back on and had a police officer chillin' at a 7/11 writes my ticket off without even looking at my car. Paid $25.00 with the write off and everything was cool.

Same thing happened to me month or two ago. Was at a light and had a cop pull up behind. When the green light came up I was extra careful to keep the exhaust as quiet as possible. Noticed the cop car slow down and give me about 4-5 car lengths behind but then that was it. I was lucky, the whole time I was sweating bullets lol. My car running a freshly rebuilt s14 ka, headers, hi flow cat, and 3" apexi dual exhaust.

Mister.E
09-17-2011, 10:05 PM
sounds to me like most of the people here need to invest in one of these:

http://i.imgur.com/tZpdH.jpg

EsChassisLove
09-17-2011, 10:19 PM
Lol california.

9 months and still only got pulled over once for holding up traffic.

I'm going external wastegate and probably gonna route the dump tube through the top of my hood.

Let's see how Mr. Officer likes that

pincheturbo
09-17-2011, 10:53 PM
"Modified Exhaust. Excessive noise. Change back to stock."
i got mine signed off at Santa Ana CHP.

J2FRESH
09-17-2011, 11:25 PM
sounds to me like most of the people here need to invest in one of these:

http://i.imgur.com/tZpdH.jpg

nice my friend was just telling me about these today haha

Mister.E
09-18-2011, 08:25 AM
^ i had one when i was in Japan. shit works like a charm.

EsChassisLove
09-18-2011, 09:25 AM
I'm a little confused about this. If one can't sell/install exhausts or mufflers that don't meet Cali requirements then how does Pann Auto, GarageBoso, and every muffler shop in Cali get away with putting this shit on?

VC 27150.1 Sale of Uncertified Exhaust System

27150.1. No person engaged in a business that involves the selling of motor vehicle exhaust systems, or parts thereof, including, but not limited to, mufflers, shall offer for sale, sell, or install, a motor vehicle exhaust system, or part thereof, including, but not limited to, a muffler, unless it meets the regulations and standards applicable pursuant to this article. Motor vehicle exhaust systemsor partsthereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

A violation of this section is a misdemeanor.

(Amended by Stats.1973,Ch. 610;amended by Stats. 2001, Ch. 92, Sec. 3; amended by Stats. 2002, Ch. 569, Sec. 2).)s

RyanS13
09-20-2011, 11:36 AM
I just wanna update everyone on what happened with my ticket. I ended up just saying fuck it and made the referee station appointment.

I put my exhaust back to stock that morning, I went to the red station at El Camino college and the guy was pretty cool. Just looked around the engine compartment then when out back with the decibel meter and checked it out.

It passed and the put a sticker on the back of my ticket that says "vehicle noise in compliance with code ......"

Then I went to show the courts my ticket and they took the ticket and gave me a copy of my ticket with the stamp "filed" on it, to show a police officer if I ever get pulled over again.

Switched my exhaust back, which is loud (Blitz Nur Spec) and I've been pulled over 3 times since, and I just show the cop the copy of my ticket with the "vehicle noise in compliance" sticker on it, and they let me go without any hassle.

4-20sx
09-20-2011, 12:19 PM
I just wanna update everyone on what happened with my ticket. I ended up just saying fuck it and made the referee station appointment.

I put my exhaust back to stock that morning, I went to the red station at El Camino college and the guy was pretty cool. Just looked around the engine compartment then when out back with the decibel meter and checked it out.

It passed and the put a sticker on the back of my ticket that says "vehicle noise in compliance with code ......"

Then I went to show the courts my ticket and they took the ticket and gave me a copy of my ticket with the stamp "filed" on it, to show a police officer if I ever get pulled over again.

Switched my exhaust back, which is loud (Blitz Nur Spec) and I've been pulled over 3 times since, and I just show the cop the copy of my ticket with the "vehicle noise in compliance" sticker on it, and they let me go without any hassle.

thats fuken awesome!!!!! i want to do that! lolz

lude4life13
09-20-2011, 12:48 PM
I'm a little confused about this. If one can't sell/install exhausts or mufflers that don't meet Cali requirements then how does Pann Auto, GarageBoso, and every muffler shop in Cali get away with putting this shit on?

When any shop does work for you in terms of putting on after market parts, you sign something that verifies that you understand it is for offroad use only. If you didnt and you want to be a dick, sue them.

!Zar!
09-20-2011, 01:13 PM

I've talked to officers about this, they stated that only OEM is legal. The shops that make custom exhausts oem like or not aren't truly, 'legal'. It's really up to the discretion of the officer if he wants to be an ultra dick or not.

marcencar
09-21-2011, 02:31 PM
I've talked to officers about this, they stated that only OEM is legal. The shops that make custom exhausts oem like or not aren't truly, 'legal'. It's really up to the discretion of the officer if he wants to be an ultra dick or not.

Truth.

Having an exhaust just gives the PO-PO PC to get into your business and dig around to find out other shit.

If your cool and not a total douche bag to the cops they will usually let you go, granted that you're not holding some warrant or driving on a suspended license or some crazy shit.

They hate paper work and the possibility of you fighting the ticket in traffic court usually deters them from writing dinky tickets.

I know that LAPD officers do not like going to court considering that its usually on their day off and considered OT. OT in LAPD is not monetary so the officers don't like working on their time off.

1llest13
09-21-2011, 03:59 PM
could you guys help me with this? got a modified exhaust ticket for my Aspec BP. I was wondering would a stock s14 exhaust welded on to my 3' pipe with a resonator be good enough to pass the fix it ticket when i take it to the pch? Also would the chp look around my car? i have a big fmic and i worried about that. im just happy it was a fix it ticket and not a state ref

Edwin562
09-21-2011, 04:10 PM
if i was you i wouldnt take the risk... change the whole exhaust and throw on the smic.... or paint the IC black(which i wont recommend)

nevertheless
09-21-2011, 04:20 PM
I got pulled over on labor day night for exhuast. Isis staight pipe with welded muffler. Cop busted a U-turn, and followed me a couple blocks. Cop said he was pulling me over for a muffler. I think he was just checking for warrants, because he ran me, came back, gave me my stuff, and told me to have a good night. Gotta love omaha cops.

1llest13
09-21-2011, 11:33 PM
if i was you i wouldnt take the risk... change the whole exhaust and throw on the smic.... or paint the IC black(which i wont recommend)

well i already have a spare IC whats painted black already so should i take that chance?? I just want to get more info before i do anything

holslut s13
09-23-2011, 12:40 AM
Ughhh this thread is making me sad with how real this could be If I get pulled over again for modified exhaust. Thank god my ticket was correctable and I was able to get it signed off and cost me 25$ @ rancho courthouse earlier this year. Glad the officer didn't look under my car and see the nice test pipe!

foxystyle
09-23-2011, 02:58 PM
^^ rancho cops are dicks most of the time.

but yet I was never pulled over for having a 3in gt exhaust on my sohc s13, and I drove it everyday for like 3 years.
Finally my dad was driving it in claremont and was pulled over as he got on the 210.

Just careful does it, rancho cops have more important things to do than pull someone over for a large exhaust, unless you drive a honda:p they hate those like everyone else in socal

x3thelast
09-24-2011, 11:18 AM
I got one for modified exhaust AND modified smog. Saw my intake with no carb sticker lol. Luckily I found out I can get my car registered back home to Florida without actually going back. So I did that now I'm back to blowing car alarms with a straight pipe and there's jack shit they can do about it.

But I still haven't even gotten the ticket signed off...ha

J2FRESH
09-24-2011, 02:22 PM
That's sweet

EightySix200SX
09-24-2011, 02:36 PM
fuck i knew i shoulda fought that ticket thanks for that bit of info man! much appreciated

Truth.

Having an exhaust just gives the PO-PO PC to get into your business and dig around to find out other shit.

If your cool and not a total douche bag to the cops they will usually let you go, granted that you're not holding some warrant or driving on a suspended license or some crazy shit.

They hate paper work and the possibility of you fighting the ticket in traffic court usually deters them from writing dinky tickets.

I know that LAPD officers do not like going to court considering that its usually on their day off and considered OT. OT in LAPD is not monetary so the officers don't like working on their time off.

beeracing s14
09-25-2011, 11:47 AM
laws may have changed to the worse.

holslut s13
09-25-2011, 08:56 PM
^^ rancho cops are dicks most of the time.

but yet I was never pulled over for having a 3in gt exhaust on my sohc s13, and I drove it everyday for like 3 years.
Finally my dad was driving it in claremont and was pulled over as he got on the 210.

Just careful does it, rancho cops have more important things to do than pull someone over for a large exhaust, unless you drive a honda:p they hate those like everyone else in socal

I was driving my Si...explains that one. Well regardless, What kind of exhaust are DDing turbo people running? I was thinking just doing 2.5 or 3" turbo back into a resonator then an isis style muffler. But external waste gate, dumpppped!

akaina240
10-01-2011, 11:34 PM
lol when i got my exhaust ticket, i didnt change it at all
and just took it to get it signed off, and cop didnt even check and signed it!!
woohoo for del mar!

ivanz33
06-08-2012, 03:15 PM
go to a sheriffs station next time.. they'll sign it off.. theyre usually a lot nicer than PD

slowjvms
08-18-2012, 11:28 PM
Got a modified exhaust ticket (27156) few weeks ago along with a failure to signal within 100' ticket...

Just got the notice in the mail today.. total fine $718..

I did signal (was in middle lane merged over to slow lane) and I was ticketed for modified exhaust with my stock ka24de with all emissions and oem exhaust..

:/

ps the ticket is marked non correctable WTF~!?

s13love-green
08-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Last time a cop tried to give me a ticket for "loud exhaust" i asked him nicely if he had a DB meter to measure the decibels on my exhaust. he said no... i stated that he cant give me a ticket becuase he is assuming my exhaust is loud, and that he has no evidence that my exhaust is actually loud. with that said. he let me go and told me he will get me next time with a db meter.... lol dumb ass cop.... BTW i have a set of 3" blast pipe cat back exhaust... all emission intact and no Check engine light... i wana see him give me a ticket for emssions... :) i love having fun with cops..
nice!!! .....mr cop :nono: cant give a me tix :nono:

EsChassisLove
08-19-2012, 11:28 AM
Little off topic but still Cali related

I was driving up to WA from San Diego 3 months ago and I didn't have cash to pay some toll up by San Fran. They said "The ticket for the toll violation will arrive in the mail" well that's nice since I deployed 3 weeks later.

Still no ticket in the mail. I have a feeling a lot of shit will come from this when I get back from deployment.

Brian04
08-19-2012, 12:21 PM
Recently got a modified exhaust ticket in Rancho Cucamonga. Usually the law here is by the book when it comes to even minor violations, but i was very cooperative and friendly with the officer (which is a MUST if you're looking at getting by without too much trouble). He told me to steer clear of Ontario, since my car is considered an "Attention Whore" (His words) and it could be impounded if found with many illegal modifications.

He gave me the ticket marked with a correctable violation. I installed the stock exhaust and catalytic converter and had to pay a $10 fee to have Upland PD check it out. No sensors or special equipment, just an officer that greeted me in the parking lot, had me turn on the car and wait 10 seconds. That was it, he had me shut it off with no revving or anything, and wrote it off. From there i was able to pay the $15 dismissal fee from Rancho Civil Court.

The main point i'm trying to make is that if you are civil and cooperative and friendly with the law, they won't try to screw you over. I've had nothing but pleasant encounters with police, and the reason is that i'm not a jackass.

s14SRguy
04-04-2013, 11:11 AM
Just thought id chime in with this whole 'correctable/non correctable' information.

just got popped for mine last night (could have been MUCH worse) and they wrote me up for 27150(a)VC MODIFIED EXHAUST and it is marked as CORRECTABLE however the cop never gave me any information on how to correct it.

yeah threads old i know

Akito86
04-05-2013, 12:04 PM
They still bother giving tickets for this ??? They should cut their hours+budget shows they got nothing better to do...

zerodameaon
04-05-2013, 12:58 PM
They still bother giving tickets for this ??? They should cut their hours+budget shows they got nothing better to do...

They have plenty better to do, like keeping these people who keep killing them off the streets, but they are to lazy and would much rather take the easier tickets.

Akito86
04-05-2013, 05:27 PM
That is very true , I get what you are saying, easy money I guess
It seems having a modded exhaust it's more of a deal to them, then ziplock's of weed or keys of cocaina.

alwaysideways14
04-10-2013, 04:25 PM
i got a ticket for my exhaust and just put the stock one back one, i had the tip flanged on so i could just change it with a couple of bolts, comes in handy..went to the ref at chaffey college and only had to pay 25 bucks.... wasn't too bad ..