PDA

View Full Version : Truck drivers

Banana_Cute
03-22-2011, 08:11 PM
Im not sure if this is worth a conversation, but im really looking into it. I just want to discuss with anyone who have had the experience of truck driving. All around the US, and not the local drivers.

What are the Pro's and Cons being a young truck driver?

I have a 1 yr old, who i stay home with cuz my wife makes enough buck for us to breath everyday. but i want to us to be able to float on the comfort zone of life.

I know theres jobs out there that do so, but i already spend my time right out of highschool taking med school (LVN) but it hasnt really working out for me. Taking NCLEX and all. its tough shit.

And my dad is a truck driver making pretty penny, but he's always out weeks/months at a time. Trying to see whose out there that i can get some point of views from.

Thanks.

Dro21
03-22-2011, 09:30 PM
I've heard some truck driver make up to a 100k a year but i dont know if its true.

Drift-Freak
03-22-2011, 09:40 PM
i drive transport truck my self and i drive from toronto to cali everyweek and the gf hates it cause sometime i come back to toronto grab another trailer and turn right back out but she love the coin comeing in the only down fall is dealing with customs and scales and not being able to have set days off for like bdays and xmas and stuff like that if u got anymore questions just email me banana_cute

drift_limo
03-22-2011, 10:07 PM
I've heard some truck driver make up to a 100k a year but i dont know if its true.

if your an owner operator and smart yes you can make $100+, if you run with a major company ie:kight, swift ect.. Not really per say, but you will still be making $40+

Pops is a truck driver and has his own company now im in the business except I just broker for him and other drivers. Truck driving is a tought job thats for sure. I remember when I was a kid my dad would be gone for days/weeks when he did 48states. Now he just does nevada/cali. I broker where ever there is a load and a driver that is willing to make the drive.
Hopefully that works out a bit.

Banana_Cute
03-23-2011, 12:18 AM
Yea thats one thing about being truck driver, my dad missed his grandson's first xmas and bday in january because he was snowed in back east and shit.

I know my wife is gonna hate because she's also busy with work, and with my son exploring, its gonna be a headache for her.

My dad also has a friend that is an owner operator, he lease the truck from the company and makes a good amount of money compare to company drivers. He said on a good week he can easily make almost $4k in a week, weakest week would be near $1000-$1500. And by him leasing the truck from the company, the gas and maintenance for his truck gets taken away from his check. Still take home a good amount though.

upsdude
03-23-2011, 12:25 AM
the money is good but you give up having a predictable life due to having to travel so much. i don't drive the big semi's at work yet, but let's just say the tractor/trailer truck drivers at UPS tend to have high divorce rates because they spend days on end away from the family.

Banana_Cute
03-23-2011, 12:30 AM
the money is good but you give up having a predictable life due to having to travel so much. i don't drive the big semi's at work yet, but let's just say the tractor/trailer truck drivers at UPS tend to have high divorce rates because they spend days on end away from the family.

Yea thats what i hear alot, and am afraid of. :cry:

Alot of my dad's co-driver have families, but their all either back in the phillipines or other countries where the guy can jst work work work, and then jst take a long vaca to go back home. No rent, no utilities bringing home some real cheddar.

I've came across young dudes same age as i am when i was working for General Mills. They say money is great, especially when you dont have to pay rent. And their always talking about their lexus and w/e car they have jst sitting at home looking pretty. 1 guy has an M3. like dang. but ofcourse they were all single and living at home with the parents, per say.

mkezzo16
03-23-2011, 12:36 AM
if your an owner operator and smart yes you can make $100+, if you run with a major company ie:kight, swift ect.. Not really per say, but you will still be making $40+

Pops is a truck driver and has his own company now im in the business except I just broker for him and other drivers. Truck driving is a tought job thats for sure. I remember when I was a kid my dad would be gone for days/weeks when he did 48states. Now he just does nevada/cali. I broker where ever there is a load and a driver that is willing to make the drive.
Hopefully that works out a bit.

let me know what kind of your work you guuys do, my dad's had his company for over 20yrs..works slow in cali

mkezzo16
03-23-2011, 12:39 AM
yea, it is tough for truck drivers especially owner operators..no offense to hispanic/latin people..but alot of hispanic drivers at least in cali take jobs for dirt cheap sometimes..and make it hard to get decent rates..best money is going 48 states..or studio trucks...you really have to have a connect to drive a studio truck though

wh0aitznic0
03-23-2011, 12:41 AM
Not all truck drivers go out for days on end. I work for Mercedes Benz and our drivers work regular 8-10 hour shifts 5 days a week just like any other regular job. Make good bank too.

Banana_Cute
03-23-2011, 01:01 AM
Not all truck drivers go out for days on end. I work for Mercedes Benz and our drivers work regular 8-10 hour shifts 5 days a week just like any other regular job. Make good bank too.

Theres the hint right there. Its tough to get in good paying local jobs. My dad tried appyling @ FEDEX, Wal-mart, pretty much local that he can come home to and sleep on his bed by the end of the day that pays well but no good. Even if a 4-5 yrs experience and no tickets still not enough for him to sit around and wait for them to call, so he jumped back on with CRST where he started, They gave him a new Volvo truck with like 22 miles when he got on, so he's loving it. no delay over due to faulty mechanics or what-not.

statickx991
03-23-2011, 01:08 AM
honestly i wouldnt do it if your away for like weeks or months. but if you can do a localish one id do it only cause of the kid and wifey.

Banana_Cute
03-23-2011, 04:44 AM
well to be local drivers, and ive inquire in a few, knights, fedex, etc...you need to have atleast 2-3 yrs driving exp. And UPS and FEDEX ground and other delivery companies want a near perfect driving record. i have 3 pts, 2 was for reckless driving (120+ on 60) back when i was 17.. and the other was going 30 on a school zone. which i didnt bother fighting cuz of work and school at the moment. and this was back in 05/06.

I'd really hate to be working at a dead end job making less than $13/hr.. Expenses really change with a wife and kid and condo.

Guess i gotta grind harder.

Thanks for the input fellas.

MODS PLEASE CLOSED.

foxystyle
03-23-2011, 04:47 AM
I want to be a trucker as I'm going to college, I just don't know where to start

MisawaJason
03-23-2011, 04:51 AM
Get some experience under your belt, then get your hazmat endorsement and haul that or oversized shit. I've heard that there's more money in those types of loads as opposed to just your normal dry van or refer trailer.
Also, you'll make more money if you team, but it's up to luck wether you get a shitty co driver or a decent one.

Banana_Cute
03-23-2011, 05:03 AM
well my dad is haz mat qualified, and if i ever go to this route, he will be my co-driver. I could never sleep in a car ride if someone else is driving other than my dad.

Banana_Cute
03-23-2011, 05:05 AM
I want to be a trucker as I'm going to college, I just don't know where to start

well some company endorse you to join their team, what could be $500-$1500 truck driving class, it would be free through them. Well not really free but cheaper, and they take it out of your check little by little where you cant even feel it. but thats a 9 month gap i believe if you decide to jump ship with other company, they can take a chunk out. Thats CRST though where my dad started a few years ago.

MisawaJason
03-23-2011, 05:11 AM
I know schneider does that as well. England and werner might do something along the same lines

ZenKi_373
03-23-2011, 08:50 AM
is it posssible? yes my father makes 110k+ a year but that does not count all the fuel that is needed, tires which run in the 3k for a full set, and any other truck maintenance. (he's self employed/has his own truck)

BUT after about 20+years doing it he does seem very stressed from having to drive all night and whatnot, has problems sleeping back home, hardly even at home if so its maybe a day every 2 weeks. it all depends on who your contracted with. best of luck to you broski

Walperstyle
03-23-2011, 12:15 PM
You can make over $100k/year pending where you work. (but you better not have a woman, children... because you wont see them often)

Welcome to the Oilfield...
http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/mark_kulak/stuck_in_mud.jpg
http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/mark_kulak/twin_steer_ws.jpg
http://www.oocities.com/eaweder/alaska/DrillingRigMove.jpg

Banana_Cute
03-23-2011, 12:24 PM
Yea, im gonna have a real long talk with the wife.

Thanks for everyone's input.