PDA

View Full Version : Tablet, Netbook, Mini-laptop ??

JaeTea
03-22-2011, 02:45 PM
I'm starting a new job in April.

I have about an hour and a half commute on NJ Transit Train so I need something to keep me occupied.

I'm looking for something that I can check my email on, surf the web, read my forums and perhaps watch a movie. Not trying to be super productive or actually do work.

yokotas13
03-22-2011, 04:50 PM
iphone/evo/other random phone

no need for another device just for that

lawrenceyang
03-22-2011, 07:19 PM
that a pretty terrible commute. i would guess that any device you would get would get old after awhile anyways. get a book from the library or something

wannabdr1ftr
03-22-2011, 07:52 PM
iphone/evo/other random phone

no need for another device just for that

right here...but if you need to get something other than that, the ipad is great.

Banana_Cute
03-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Play angry birds..that shit will keep you busy for awhile. lmfao.

statickx991
03-22-2011, 08:03 PM
Play angry birds..that shit will keep you busy for awhile. lmfao.

haha i was just playing that

JaeTea
03-22-2011, 08:58 PM
that a pretty terrible commute. i would guess that any device you would get would get old after awhile anyways. get a book from the library or something

I hate to read it just makes me want to go to sleep.

I dont' think I would ever get bored of going on forums considering I do it for about 4 hours a day now anyways.

nisco
03-22-2011, 10:23 PM
One of these
VAIO Y Series PC | Sony | SonyStyle USA (http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644693499)

the a3k
03-22-2011, 10:27 PM
xoom ftw :)

s14>integra
03-23-2011, 12:03 AM
^^xoom's are sick. I recommend that. It's hard to beat angry birds on a big ass screen.

WanganRunner
03-23-2011, 08:16 AM
http://pinoytutorial.com/techtorial/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/nintendo-3ds-2.jpg

But really, I'd get a netbook. Just small enough, but if you're on the train for 3 hours round-trip per day, watching content on a tiny smartphone is going to become annoying.

JaeTea
03-23-2011, 09:31 AM
hahaha..I'm totally buying a 3DS. So yeah my gaming is covered.

I have room on the train to have a netbook or tablet. So why pay the same price for something smaller?

Surfing the net is just gonna suck on a smartphone.

I'm stuck between the XOOM or the ASUS Eee 10" or 12" netbooks.

dsastr_clan
03-23-2011, 10:27 AM
the pay better be worth it

ronmcdon
03-23-2011, 10:36 AM
I'd probably opt for a cheaper laptop, as it's the most versatile of all the options.

my choice, however, would also be a smart phone.
it keeps me fully occupied on long flights between music, reading (kindle), games, & watching pre-loaded tv/movies.
having better enclosed headphones (to reduce sound leakage) & a portable headphone amp really helps!

only weakness is the lack of space, i always run out of the miserly 32 gigs on my my iphone.

drift freaq
03-23-2011, 11:05 AM
I would get an Ipad II over Xoom. Android still does not have many optimized apps for Tablets. Ipad has so many apps its crazy. Oh and much more useful Music apps.

WanganRunner
03-23-2011, 11:48 AM
hahaha..I'm totally buying a 3DS. So yeah my gaming is covered.

Midnight Launch this Saturday :hsdance:

I vote for the EEE.

If you're anything like me, and not much like most other people, a good part of your web experience involves typing (because of forums) rather than just reading news/webpages.

Typing/Content creation is a chore on tablets, obviously easy on laptop/netbook. If you just want to read, get a tablet.

If I had a 1.5hr commute and a train seat with a tray table, I'd bring a USB gamepad and be emulating Neo Geo AES. Blazing Star on the train!

JaeTea
03-23-2011, 04:40 PM
Midnight Launch this Saturday :hsdance:

I vote for the EEE.

If you're anything like me, and not much like most other people, a good part of your web experience involves typing (because of forums) rather than just reading news/webpages.

Typing/Content creation is a chore on tablets, obviously easy on laptop/netbook. If you just want to read, get a tablet.

If I had a 1.5hr commute and a train seat with a tray table, I'd bring a USB gamepad and be emulating Neo Geo AES. Blazing Star on the train!

Unfortunately there's no tray tables on the train but that would be awesome!

I'm really liking the XOOM the more I play around with it. Its actually not that bad for typing and I find navigating alot easier on a tablet than with a damn touchpad. Smartphone doesn't make much sense for me.

03-23-2011, 08:32 PM
my coworker has a samsung nc-10 and it feels just like a normal laptop in terms of usability. so take that for what it's worth

SochBAT
03-25-2011, 10:16 PM
Netbook. SNES/N64/Dreamcast/PSX emulators for days. I played Xenogears on my 24 hour bus ride. I'm sure I was the only mother fucker that stayed up straight. You sleep, your shit goes missing.