PDA

View Full Version : HELP power fc meltd my coil packs maybe more?

nujabe
03-21-2011, 08:21 PM
i got this power fc off of a member of zilvia today. i plug in and fire up the car one time it did not sound right so i turned off the car but left the electrics on to reset the pfc. while doing this it melted my coil packs a little bit two out of the 4 not to bad.so then i put in my old ecu and start my car but now my car sounds likea subaru and it shakes really bad. i dont know if it my plugs or if its my coils. the plugs where really bad as im ordered some today before all this shit happend. my car all smells really gasy now. could any one tell me the bad news. and if im at fault or the guy who sold me it is. also im running s13 sr. he said it would work with my red top i called apexi before puting it in they said the packaging it came in was for a s14 black top then i read them the serial on the pfcand they said it was for a redtop. im really bumd so please be easy on me guys. should i put in a clam to pay pal? or just take it. thanks kevin

jacobs13
03-21-2011, 08:33 PM
If you put a s14 pfc on a redtop it will run wierd like that and smell gassy so maybe he switched the casing? Im not too sure on the coil problem, I cant see that being the ecu's fault

nujabe
03-21-2011, 09:03 PM
[QUOTE=jacobs13;3942855]If you put a s14 pfc on a redtop it will run wierd like that and smell gassy so maybe he switched the casing? Im not too sure on the coil problem, I cant see that being the ecu's fault[/Q

Sold me a black top s13 not red...

jacobs13
03-21-2011, 09:10 PM
blacktop will work on redtop and the other way around, but ive put a s14 sr pfc on my blacktop and it did exactly what you described aside from the coil problem

docslide
03-21-2011, 09:59 PM
well guess i will chime in on this one since i am the one who sold him the PowerFc and would like to handle this like a gentleman's deal.

here is the link for the for sale thread i had http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/370154-powerfc-l-jetro-sohc-ps-setup-s13-cas.html in my thread i posted part number of the ecu and part number that was on the box. the box comes up as a s14 zenki but i assumed that it was in the wrong box because it worked just fine.
Yep i had it running with my s13 blktop and it ran just fine. When i searched the number on the ecu all i find is stuff for s13 srs. I think its just in the wrong box.

I feel bad about the whole situation and hope that we can handle this like gents.
I looked around before listing it and found this thread since i couldnt find much just based off of the ecu serial number.
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/346330-apexi-power-fc-l-jetro-redtop-sr20det-might-work-blacktop.html

I ran it on my blacktop sr with no issue at all.
My understanding is that Nujabe is running aftermarket Coils(spitfires) and that they are wired in differently than stock coils based on what he told me.
I asked the shop that i got the PowerFc from if it was interchangeable between blacktops and redtops and he told me that they are interchangeable.

My thing is that i just don't want to be labeled as some scam artist.
just trying to figure out what went wrong here and see what we can do to settle this thing.

nujabe
03-21-2011, 10:23 PM
no doode your not a scamer dont worry. im trying to see if they will cover them under warranty. they olny speak japaense =(.

docslide
03-21-2011, 10:29 PM
Would you happen to have the number you called for apexi that you called?

nujabe
03-21-2011, 10:37 PM
714 685 5700. there never got back to me though i spoke to a guy named keith for a moment though.

mtxfrk2k1
03-21-2011, 10:40 PM
why do you think it fried your coils? have you tried pulling the plugs to see which ones are wet .. swap coils to see if the actual coils are bad... have you tried tuning it at all? what map are you running?

docslide
03-21-2011, 10:51 PM
The only issue I am having is how could this happen when it ran fine on my car and my coils are fine and never got cooked.

nujabe
03-21-2011, 11:50 PM
i have a weird feeling this thing was for a s14 blacktop it looks almost exactly like redtop and black top s13. i sent picks away to apexi to have them take a look at the board and the box. if it is its what did my car in. also from what i ve been looking at redtop and blacktop Pinouts were different on Kouiki 180sx ecu's so if you have any harness earlier it mess some shit up

jacobs13
03-22-2011, 12:00 AM
The wiring differences on the redtop blacktop thing are only type x blacktops, redtops and blacktops wiring are the same they just use different 02 sensors, type x has i think ignition and something else different. It may run bad because of the guy before you map. Did you reset it correctly?

nujabe
03-22-2011, 01:04 AM
im running s13 ignition chip to splitfire harness chip with splitfire coils. i just know this is no the right and if it was correct it would not have done this to my car. coil packs are part of the ignition system.

DJJIGGYPUFF
03-22-2011, 08:10 AM
I got a feeling you shouldn't be working on cars.

nujabe
03-22-2011, 08:37 AM
[QUOTE=DJJIGGYPUFF;3943714]I got a feeling you shouldn't be working on cars.[/QUOTE

Please leave all negative Comment out this thread.

docslide
03-22-2011, 08:48 AM
My motor isn't a type x motor I can assure you that.so why didn't it fry my coilpacks?

jacobs13
03-22-2011, 09:31 AM
Where your spitfires wired correctly?

nujabe
03-22-2011, 10:21 AM
Yeah. They been working for 7 months perfectly. Most of the time when you melt coil paxcks its just one not 2 thy also melted in the same place. Same time. This is prity much I was sold the wrong Ecu plugged it in fryed my Shit. And yes I asked about3 times if this was the correct Ecu. I even called when I got it and asked and was told yes it would work. I was never told till after my Shit fryed it was an black top Ecu.

docslide
03-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Have you heard from apexi yet on the verification.

steve shadows
03-22-2011, 01:41 PM
I have dealt with diagnosing and isntalling a lot of used and new EMS, especially the PFC, and I would not recommend using a VTC based Unit on a non-VTC car, the S13 PFCs are usually all interchangable but the S14 with S13 is not recommended, I would not try to do that regardless of the Coil Packs.

PS. The Split Fire coil packs are really a waste of money imo also, invest in very cheap but effective grounding for your OEM SR Coil packs and make sure the wiring harness is in perfect shape, no corrosion or connection issues this will go a lot farther for the money. Then invest ins some good plugs in the proper heat range. I have used the stock coil packs up over 500-600 brake HP with nothing close to a hiccup. If you really need more spark invest in LS1 coil packs and a proper high end EMS like a Haltech with configurable outputs and auxilary ports on the board...

docslide
03-22-2011, 02:05 PM
I talk to one of the reps at apexi (extension 105) and gave him the ecu number I had.that ecu is for a s13 redtop.when I told him the situation he could only come to the conclusion that you possible were trying to tune the pfc and set something to high.I should have an email on the way from him I will post up.

jholman
03-22-2011, 03:39 PM
It does sound like a tune problem to me....its a shame PFC's are so easy to setup

docslide
03-23-2011, 03:14 PM
" Rory,

In regards to your inquiry about the serial no. PFC SR2014 Power FC, this Power FC is for a Nissan S13, 91/1-93/9 SR20DET Redtop engine and harness.

The A’PEXi Power FC Standalone is a unit to be used on factory harness with factory sensors. If there are any aftermarket sensors or harnesses, it is the due diligence of the user/tuner to confirm and make sure that whatever may be used on the vehicle that is not factory, to be sure that they cross reference everything to make sure that parts are operating within factory parameters. (ie: Voltages, Signals, etc.)

We do see Power FC Claims come in for users running different fuel and ignition systems (ie: different injectors, different fuel pumps, different coil packs) however, more often than not, the user/tuner did not account for the variance from stock/factory parts, as a result causing some sort of issue.

Your question: Can a Power FC short out or fry ignition coil packs?
Answer: the Power FC out of the box with a base map cannot short out or fry a coil pack, therefore, the troubleshooting would be to look into the wiring harness, the parts being used: factory or aftermarket? Then you need to confirm whether or not they are within factory specifications. If they are not, then the user/tuner must account for the variance and be sure to adapt these parts somehow to run like factory. The only way that a coil pack can be shorted or fried out by the Power FC is if the user/tuner was to change the voltage dwell setting manually from the base map within the Power FC programming, increasing voltage dwell, increases the cycle duration time for the ignition coils to recharge themselves, therefore, reducing the lifecycle of the coil packs as they are being charged for longer periods of time and more often. Or if the ignition mapping itself is different from base map, it can cause a potential issue. (For Example, if the Power FC had a different tuned map and was plugged into a car that was stock, may pose a potential issue).

***Power FC standalone ECU’s were manufactured to be used on a Factory Sensors/Harnesses, anything different it is not the liability of A’PEXi to compensate for the changes. When you make the changes, it is your responsibility to confirm that the parts being used are compatible with the Power FC. You may ask me: can I run this part or that part with the Power FC, and my answer to you would be is to look up the factory specifications, the Power FC is to all factory Nissan specifications.

Also, if you want a second opinion, there is a local tuning shop who runs A’PEXi Power FC product on many of the vehicles he tunes and builds for Nissan SR20DET setups. See contact below:
Garage Boso
Frank
Tel: (310) 715-1380

He may tell you to send your unit in to him for a diagnostic fee to test for any inquiries, but he can tell you what is going on. You are also welcome to send the unit into our location for a bench test, bench tests are a $50.00 fee.

If you have any other questions, or additional inquiries, please feel free to contact me. Thank you.

Masaki Nakayama
Manager

APEX Integration Inc.
1449 W. Orange Grove Ave, Unit A
Orange, CA 92868
T: 714-685-5700
F: 714-685-5701
www.apexi-usa.com (http://www.apexi-usa.com) "

this is the email i got from apexi today in regards to this issue
So pretty much i have stated my case and dont know where to go from here bud.