PDA

View Full Version : Bad SR transmission ? I hate making this thread.

JuMPiiN
03-18-2011, 12:57 AM
I guess im not typing in the right keywords on google, or the search feature on here and i hate making pointless threads knowing there is a thread on here archived that prob has the answer to my question. Soooooo.....

So I got my car back today. Runs awesome! Shifted smooth no grinds or anything, brand new clutch, lightweight flyhwheel ext. Well I was driving for about 20min drove exactly 20 miles. Stopped for a bite to eat hopped in started the car backed up fine, went to shift into first ( went into gear fine ) went to release the clutch GRIND and vibration from hell. Immediately put it in neutral got out and looked under the car to check for leaks or anything didnt see anything at all.

Did this about 3 times and it kept doing it. 4th time it stopped luckily i was right around the corner from home i drove home and parked it in the garage. Now that youve read my story heres what ive gathered.

I bought and put in 75-90 Royal Purple synthetic transmission fluid. Well i read RP is terrible for the SR tranny and also a local friend and SR guru told me today its terrible for the SR tranny as it eats the syncro's.

Excuse my language but right now IM FREAKED THE FUCK OUT, and I cant sleep because I think my transmission is SHOT all because im a fucking moron and put in the wrong fluid. Can someone or anyone shine some light on my situation before i spend 500 buck to ship a new transmission to my door.

Maybe i blew the clutch or something ? I did kind of get on it like twice but nothing major. oh and its only doing the grinding noise upon take off from a stop sign or light, when driving its perfect.

Maybe I can just change the fluid and since I only drove 20 miles nothing major has gone wrong. So im begging the 8000 active members to bless me with good news and tell me whats wrong ! I'll seriously pay someone for some internet help lol!!!

daryl337
03-18-2011, 10:27 AM
pull the trans and take a peek at that clutch

bb4_96
03-18-2011, 10:30 AM
^ +1

your tranny fluid isn't going to eat synchros in a week

JuMPiiN
03-18-2011, 10:41 AM
Ha try 20-30minutes. I'm going to do this Monday or Tuesday hopefully it's alright lol.fingers are crossed.

JuMPiiN
03-18-2011, 11:58 AM
Think it could be the driveshaft or diff? I just started pushing it out the garage and I heard a grinding noise coming from the rear I believe ?

JuMPiiN
03-23-2011, 10:32 PM
So...... I drained the RP, put in cheap penzoil 80-90 and same thing. It goes into gear perfect. I left off the clutch when it's in gear and all I hear is a loud squealing noise. So it's either the tranny or clutch. If I post a vid will the help?

JuMPiiN
03-23-2011, 10:55 PM
Heres a VID.

Im thinking clutch can someone else tell me it if it is or isnt. Put it in reverse, went to desengauge to back up and boom GRINDDDDDDDD or whatever.

Also I drained the RP and put in 80-90 gear oil ( 2.5L ) like the FSM says and still the samething sadly. this was just to see if it was the oil which i guess its not. So someone shine some light and tell me if its the tranny or clutch.

YouTube - Tranny or Clutch? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma9U9dc5wpM)

statickx991
03-23-2011, 11:03 PM
that is loud as fck! i was going to say that if it was a bad clutch most likey if it was blow u wouldnt even be able to get it into gear. id prolly put it on jack stands and see if it makes the noise when its not under such a load. if it still does it get a stethascope and try to figure out if its coming from rear or clutch area. your clutch could very possibly be so warn thats the sound of metal to metal (the rivits on the clutch)

fearlessKouki
03-23-2011, 11:07 PM
^ holy crap that was loud grid...don't know the anwer to ur question but best of luck..hope everyting works out fine!

JuMPiiN
03-23-2011, 11:09 PM
Yea the clutch is new, drove 22 miles exactly and that happened. drove home immediately and parked it. Im hoping and praying its the clutch and not the tranny.

Sileighty_85
03-23-2011, 11:52 PM
Who put the clutch on?

def sounds clutch related

Cuz it almost sounds like the pressure plate is in backwards and the springs are grinding against the flywheel bolts.

Not to mention its a Spec Clutch

JuMPiiN
03-24-2011, 12:19 AM
Man I have no clue it was on the engine when I got it. It's just really odd to me that it was smooth as butter when I left your house. Ten this. I did rev it but nothing crazy I didn't like launch at 6-7K or anything I just drove normal. Shifted at around 2700ish.

username
03-24-2011, 12:24 AM
I had a similar problem in my 05 gto when i had a clutch/flywheel installed. It wasnt this loud but it only made a grinding noise when the clutch was pressed in and out, had nothing to do with going in/out of gear. It turned out to be my pilot bearing for some odd reason. I dont know if this would have anything to do with your problem at all but figured i'd give an idea.

daftphunk
03-24-2011, 12:29 AM
Damn that shit is loud. I honestly have no idea what to say other than Redline Tranny fluid is fucking awesome and I would recommend that shit.

JuMPiiN
03-24-2011, 12:39 AM
Well let me see if i can explain better because its really hard to explain without you actually seeing it. Its a SPEC Stage 4 or something it came with the engine and trans when i purchased the car from a friend. It also sat in a non climate controlled storage unit for roughly 2 years give or take.

Now i left Sileighty's after he fixed my engine problem, its shifted soft and smooth nothing wrong. Drove it for about 20 minutes maybe. It did this i drove home and parked it. Thought maybe it was the RP being in there drained it and put in ( temporary and cheap ) 80-90 valvoline just too see if maybe it was the fluid. Nope same thing. Now heres the steps i take in order to get the noise

1. Get in start the car
2. Press in clutch and put into gear reverse or 1st even 2nd
3. When letting off clutch and giving it gas to go its fine, when fully letting off clutch is when this happens. I press in the clutch and when letting off the clutch right when its almost fully disengauged it does this.
4. throw into neutral and kill it.

Again im not a fan of Spec, it just came with the car and I really dont need a Stage 4 on a stock SR im using for DD to and from work and school. I have the money for a clutch, or tranny im prob a 100 or so short of both. Anyways thats the deal. Im thinking along with some other locals its the clutch.

I have no way of jacking the car up considering my lame 2 ton jack cant even go high enough to put a jack stand underneath so I cant drop the trans to check it out. Im highly aggravated.

statickx991
03-24-2011, 07:43 AM
I had a similar problem in my 05 gto when i had a clutch/flywheel installed. It wasnt this loud but it only made a grinding noise when the clutch was pressed in and out, had nothing to do with going in/out of gear. It turned out to be my pilot bearing for some odd reason. I dont know if this would have anything to do with your problem at all but figured i'd give an idea.

i had a pilot bearing do the same thing before. for how little of a bearing it is, its loud

JuMPiiN
03-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Pilot bearing or pilot ball? It was all new before I installed it.

xxoreolovexx
03-24-2011, 11:19 AM
i had the same thing happen on my ka-t and i turned out to be the slave cylinder wasnt allowing my clutch to fully engage or disengage. try bleeding it. If you already mentioned that you tried this im sorry i missed it.

JuMPiiN
03-24-2011, 11:22 AM
I did that last ngiht and actually thats exactly when I thought it might be the clutch not fully disengauging. But i bled it last night from both bleed points and it seemed fulled bled. I'd like to know how to delete that 1st point where it seems pointless to have, the circle loop things thats bolted to the chassis. I think that thing is pointless and would make bleeding 100 times easier.

JuMPiiN
03-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Alright guys/gals, taking pics tonight or tmo when I drop the trans.

dsastr_clan
03-24-2011, 05:18 PM
let us know mate! im pretty intrigued about this

KiLLeR2001
03-24-2011, 06:20 PM
Always a good idea to remove the clutch damper. Way easier to bleed the system once its removed. Did you have someone push in the clutch while looking at the slave cylinder to see if its moving the clutch fork at all?

zenki_240sx
03-24-2011, 08:00 PM
I had the same issue 3 months ago. I put a new spec piece of shit clutch in and drove it for a week and it started making the same noise you have. I was so upset. I first taught it was the release bearing so me and my friend replaced it. To my surprised it was still making the noise. So I told my friend to just put the old clutch back and guess what I have no more noise and its 3 months later.

JuMPiiN
03-24-2011, 10:39 PM
Lmao, wow I guess it's just spec. And yes the slave is working properly. It's just off this happens after driving 20 miles lol. Hopefully I can drop it tmo if I can find someone with a jack that will go higher than my pos jack.

krps13_180sx
03-25-2011, 08:51 AM
For all the other types of gear oil...did you make sure that it was a GL-4 based oil instead of the GL-5 type? i know that royal purple is a GL-5 type and many other oils are as well and the polymers in GL-5 based is finer and would mess up synchros and other bearings..thats why both KA and SR trannys love GL-4 base! if you do happen to pull the trans apart, rock some redline MT-90 it made a huge difference with my trans from coming out of the regular 75W90 GL-4 base

JuMPiiN
03-25-2011, 12:02 PM
The RP I bought was 75-90 gl4. I'm going to mt90 most likely or I'm owing to just go to Nissan and buy there fluid classed as gl4 gl5

JuMPiiN
04-02-2011, 03:08 PM
So here's te break down. I changed the trans fluid to a cheap penzoil 75-90 didn't change anything. So then I talked to my friend who's Honda does the same thing. He told me that in his car it was his tob just being worn to hell and going out. Then my friend with a KA-T truck told me his KA had the same problem. The input shaft where the tob sits on had surface rust kn it from sitting causing the tob to not fully disengage. Any thoughts to either of these? The plan is this coming weekend to drop the trans and take a look myself. The trans itself seems fine because it shifts into gears fine.

I pushed it out the garage yesterday and instead if baby'ing the Clutch like I normally do when launching, I kinda just let off? I guess is how to explain it and it didn't make the noise, drove around the block without stopping and it shifted perfect. Stopped in my driveway and it did it again when starting to move so I just parked it back I the garage an left it alone. So any thoughts guys?

Pat your the Guru what's your thoughts ?

mikeroy420
04-02-2011, 04:49 PM
I heard a noise like this before, it was release bearing related. It was a SPEC stage 3 and the person installed the release bearing backwards. Not saying its your problem, but it sounds the same. It destoryed the clutch and flywheel.

JuMPiiN
04-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Hope the clutch and fly are ok on mine it's a spec stage 4 or 5 sprung fidanza flywheel. And it wouldn't surprise me if the previous owner installed it wrong he's a chill dude but isn't very mechanically there if that makes sense.

astrowizdom
04-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Mine was making the same noise, but after driving it for awhile the noise would go away. Unfortunately my tranny blew up goes in gear but wont move have clutch presure. took off tranny and clutch was still good but the main shaft on the tranny broke off. Have your tranny rebuilt or get a new one!

JuMPiiN
04-02-2011, 08:47 PM
After driving it for a while ? What do you mean lol ? I havn't driven it lol. Also which is cheaper, rebuilding the transmission or buying another used transmission ? lol honestly!

I just dont understand how I can drive it for literally 17 miles it drove smooth and perfect then it just all of sudden does this i never even got out of 3rd gear !

astrowizdom
04-03-2011, 02:40 PM
i had a hard time finding a cheap sr tranny, so i just did the ka and changed the bell housing, a homey had one i gave him 50 bucks. honestly i cant feel the differance!

JuMPiiN
04-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Idk anyone with a KA trans, I know where one is at in a junkyard. Not sure if I trust that tho

Om1kron
04-03-2011, 05:24 PM
can't see pictures so I'm sitting here imagining them... stop speculating and drop it, you probably didn't tq down your clutch right, or your throw out bearing died, or the fluid leaked out and ran low.

Wulfpak
04-03-2011, 05:36 PM
sounds like your flywheel bolts werent torqued to the right specs and have backed out. I made the same mistake and my car was doing the samething.

astrowizdom
04-04-2011, 07:49 PM
junkyard gave me a 30 day warranty!

Sileighty_85
04-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Come on I put a tranny in in my parking lot with 2 Jacks stands and 2 Sissor Jacks (ignore the hydro jack it was garbage and only went half way)
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/Neil_85/Miyukis%20S13/PIC-0432.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/Neil_85/Miyukis%20S13/PIC-0434.jpg
use the sissor jacks up chassis up on jack stands
Drain fluid
unbolt and drop

JuMPiiN
04-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Man i dont have a scissor jack lol, Im going to buy a 4 ton low profile from harbor freight tmo. Its 70 bucks. and ill never need a jack again.

JDMRIDDAZ
04-05-2011, 05:13 PM
ok most likely its ur throw out bearing
not that it bad but the bearing face is wrong
i jst installed a xtd stage 3 w fly wheel and used their bearing thinking oh its new
even tho it didnt look the same as the oem replacement one i put on 6mo when i upgraded my sr
well i took it off found the retaing clip for the TOB was not right i put another one
pt it back together and still the same issue..
when i push in clutch the noise goes away..
the oem rplace ment is the way to go for sure
im gunna pull mines on sat
and im driving car 46mi every day
as long as ur for sure u torqued fly wheel bolts
for sure this is the issue...
dont even get a ka TOB either cause i ordered that one first and it doesnt have the same face as a sr oem so it will make noise.
especially on any strong clutch
u can only install a TOB one way if u put it on wrong it could make this noise but it would be different
also u can bench press the tranny in as long as u loosen the engine cross member
and jack up the harmonic balancer
and its not that hard i did it all by myself....

astrowizdom
04-06-2011, 02:46 AM
found out it wasnt my tranny, throwout bearing, pilot bushing making the same noise as yours. You wont believe this, i have a act 6 puck clutch and guess what....... all the teeth where the input shaft go on to the disc ground off! check the pics! My teeth on the input shaft are perfect but the clutch splines are gone, this has to be a manufactures defect?

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5266/5594839120_34b71d62b6.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5594839120/)
DSC03301 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5594839120/) by astrowizdom (http://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]/), on Flickr

Darren
04-06-2011, 07:08 AM
found out it wasnt my tranny, throwout bearing, pilot bushing making the same noise as yours. You wont believe this, i have a act 6 puck clutch and guess what....... all the teeth where the input shaft go on to the disc ground off! check the pics! My teeth on the input shaft are perfect but the clutch splines are gone, this has to be a manufactures defect?

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5266/5594839120_34b71d62b6.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5594839120/)
DSC03301 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5594839120/) by astrowizdom (http://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]/), on Flickr
Yikes! that looks like a big bunch of ugly....

JuMPiiN
04-06-2011, 01:15 PM
it will be off in like 45min or so, got a 3ton floor jack, bought a 455 mechanic tool set. Its on jack stands now, transmission is bolted to the transmission jack i got from harbor freight. Just got the last 2 bolts on the top of the trans to go and its off.

JuMPiiN
04-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Oh yeah, and the TOB was a brand new OEM from Enjuku. Im thinking its either TOB or Pviot I can see part of the clutch through the slot where the slave is and it isnt even dirty it looks perfect. ( but i cant really see the inside of the clutch so idk lol )

JDMRIDDAZ
04-07-2011, 08:35 PM
well double check everything bfore u put tranny bak

HAWAII
04-07-2011, 10:40 PM
This is not tranny for sure, if you say the clutch came with the engine. It leaves the pilot bearing as the main suspect. was it replaced?