PDA

View Full Version : Im on a REALITY TV SHOW racing.

ericcastro
03-16-2011, 07:21 PM
yes, you read right.

I am racing my SOHC on some sort of Reality tv show.
We are shooting it right now, but it should air on TRU or MAV stations.
I do have my doubts about it ever seeing the light of day though, but its a chance for $5000.00.
Pretty low budget.

I went to speed ventures, or something like that with some stunt man friends. There was a guy looking for people interested in being the next "street racer", or something like that.
So I said sure.

Hers how it works

it is 8 people, with their "street" cars.

We race several kinds of races for points.

At the end, we do a race on the Oval track for 20-30 lapse(undecided still). We grid up according to our points, losers (KA engines) in the back.

If I remember correctly, I am racing against a,
S2000
S2000
Newer M3
C6 vette
350Z
Lotus Elise
Subie forester?
And I of course am 89 S13 hatch, bone stock KA (sohc, 140hp)

So you can see, I am definatly out HP'd by these guys.
We ran on Streets and I got whooped, but not by a lot.
Best time was 125ish i think, and i ran a 136.

A lot of the guys run R compounds.

So my first questions are about those tires and their cost and effectiveness.

I read a tiny bit online that they cost between $100 to $400 a tire?
(i would only justify paying $100 for a tire)

Are they worth it? We will have some sort of autocross challenge and run on HTM.

I lost a lot of time on streets because of the lack of HP on the straights. curious if these would help make it up in the corners?

My tires sit flush in the rear, tall sidewalls would rub, can you run these stretched or not?

How long do they tend to last?

The drift event i have in the bag, or im an idiot. just run my normal set up with my welded diff and fedral 595's

I felt the welded made my front end push a little in the corners.
Is it worth it to try and track down another diff to borrow for the event. (2way or VLSD.) I worry most about pushing on the oval track.

We do drag, i got nothing there and dont care since im way outta my league.
But we do go to mohave mile and see who gets to the highest speed in a mile.Is that enough distance to even get to 100mph? I know most of those guys cars top out at 140ish. Can i even get there? I know I can get rid of the speed govenor by taking the speedo wires off the tranny(right?)

Thats really all i can think about right now.
I will keep checking this.
I am also looking for any advice or suggestions from other people.
(please pass this around zilvia and link to your track friends that drive 240's)

On the oval, If I can start at least mid pack, i feel i may have a chance. I just need to get ahead of that elise(newer driver). I am also the only one that doesnt care about doing a little "rubbing", so taht is to my advantage. I can play a little dirty and pinch people off their lines.

Please ask away with questions and give me all your suggestions.
Thankyou.
I may not win, but I would like to do the 20 year old Nissan and KA engine a little justice. Plus the Vette owner is a cop, lol.

orion::S14
03-16-2011, 07:35 PM
I would run Hankook RS3's...many of the new street tires narrow the gap with R-comps.

And ditch the welded diff for oval track...I'd track down a 1.5-way or VLSD.

Good luck, sounds cool.

- Brian

roboticnissan
03-16-2011, 07:37 PM
Haha that 1 25 ish was my brother. He is that rock Honda s2k.

Your way out powered by the rest of the cars for sure.

I would het some kind of.real LSD for tracking as.well as.r comps for sure. I've driven that same s2k with and without r comps and its a night and day difference.

All though I.really don't think r compounds would have made a 10 second difference so I'd say your screwed with out power.

I was under the impression from my brother that there was no.drift sesh.

If there is I.cannot.wait Haha my brother cannot drift at ALL.

All in all tho good luck mang and give em hell.

UNDERDOG FTW

Kwonza Says
03-16-2011, 07:41 PM
Damn dont have cable....anywho good luck man!!

ericcastro
03-16-2011, 07:44 PM
Haha that 1 25 ish was my brother. He is that rock Honda s2k.

Your way out powered by the rest of the cars for sure.

I would het some kind of.real LSD for tracking as.well as.r comps for sure. I've driven that same s2k with and without r comps and its a night and day difference.

All though I.really don't think r compounds would have made a 10 second difference so I'd say your screwed with out power.

I was under the impression from my brother that there was no.drift sesh.

If there is I.cannot.wait Haha my brother cannot drift at ALL.

All in all tho good luck mang and give em hell.

UNDERDOG FTW

Maybe not 10 seconds.
but that is because of the straights.
I figured with R compounds and without a welded pushing me, i may have picked up 4 seconds.
and that would have been enough to get me in the middle.

And that being the biggest track, i have a better chance now that its down to smaller handling tracks.

The S2K and Subie make me nervous though.

I hope they keep drift, and they should, its immensly popular right now.

roboticnissan
03-16-2011, 09:39 PM
Yeah well good luck man. I'll be there next event and introduce myself.

Get out front and run that gangster blocking line. Haha

Rezist89
03-16-2011, 10:04 PM
damn need power?sr

Brian
03-16-2011, 10:06 PM
Been there. done that. I think I shot 3 different "reality" shows during my drifting time. None saw the light of day...... but I got paid. :)

BURSTspeed
03-16-2011, 10:17 PM
thats awesome you get the chance to do this. Are you allowed to film behind the scenes? i assume not but worth a shot

DALAZ_68
03-16-2011, 10:45 PM
ha..castro...gl boo...lmk when you guys drift, ill get the day off and roll thru...

statickx991
03-16-2011, 11:02 PM
lets turbo it real quick or fine a donor sr that needs a rebuild or something. i have a set of nitto nt01's 265 45 17

drift freaq
03-16-2011, 11:09 PM
Congrats Eric, I hope your stuff does not hit the cutting room floor.

chiboy002
03-16-2011, 11:09 PM
i've seen a few nismo lsd's floating around, and some kaaz ones too

pick one up for cheaps mang, best wishes.

The cops going to write you a ticket if you beat him, i bet!

locoluna825
03-16-2011, 11:17 PM
Do you have to be stock for the drag? ive read of ppl running 100 shot and doing high 12's on a quarter mile. that probably if you know how to take off right though. That would be much better than the normal 14-15 seconds completly stock would get you. it will give you more of an edge in that event and would be very cost effective.

xpertsnowcarver
03-17-2011, 12:34 AM
Look into the BFG TA-KDW II tires. I feel they are the most cost-effective, sticky tire around.

You'd also need to shed a lot of weight but even then, 140whp is pretty hard to work with.

For me at 2300lbs and 175whp, I was definitely out cornering corvettes, and reaching similar lap times as 350Zs. But for you... even if you had my car at 140whp, you'd have a hard time keeping up with S2000s either way.

Borrow a faster car. :p

Karlitos
03-17-2011, 12:50 AM
My friend road races his s13 hatch with de and keeps up with s2k at buttonwillow. He has rcomps and they dont. the s2k with r comps are about 5 seconds faster. R comps will make a difference in the autox and tight stuff aswell. He runs even with the s2k dudes. You cant run them stretched but get a x7 rim and run 225 r comps and you should be golden. NT01, rs-3 r888 will do.
Def, consider atleast vlsd for the circle if not a 1.5 or 2 way are a lot better than welded for road racing.
Drifting you should have that, s2ks are hard to keep at drift, they like spinning.

Other than that, good luck.

Banana_Cute
03-17-2011, 01:04 AM
RE-shim a VLSD since its jst gonna be for a minute??

Unless Kaaz and Nismo is on your budget.

ericcastro
03-17-2011, 09:52 AM
Im thinking of borrowing a Diff.

Im sure we all know people that are doing the worlds coolest built.
which is code for, i have shit sitting around for 6 years, lol
So hoping to just borrow the diff, and swap it back and forth at the track.

Joel, I dont think you have seen my car.
There is no weight to come off.
Its full gutted and stitch welded
full cage.
partial dash
stock gauges
over half the wires are cut off
Almost full fiberglass car, hood, doors, hatch are metal. (fiberglass fenders come in this week maybe)
Full suspention.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s242/castro_castro/fdfd5237.jpg

Brian,
I am hoping that it doesn't air.
I work in this industry, i would rather not be in front of the camera.
I just want to beat these cars and get $5000 with a single cam.

Pure_JDM
03-17-2011, 10:23 AM
My biggest question is why the ballin chassis and not-so-ballin single cam?!

K_style
03-17-2011, 10:36 AM
I hope you get paid at least even it ever seeing the light of day

ericcastro
03-17-2011, 10:37 AM
My biggest question is why the ballin chassis and not-so-ballin single cam?!

I build the car as i drive it.
Suspension comes before HP in my book.
All thats left is a engine swap, and seats at this point.

hers the blog on the car build,
http://countvoncastro.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2010-06-21T03%3A52%3A00-07%3A00&max-results=7

xpertsnowcarver
03-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Joel, I dont think you have seen my car.
There is no weight to come off.
Its full gutted and stitch welded
full cage.
partial dash
stock gauges
over half the wires are cut off
Almost full fiberglass car, hood, doors, hatch are metal. (fiberglass fenders come in this week maybe)
Full suspention.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s242/castro_castro/fdfd5237.jpg

Oh man, nice! I didn't know that. I was just imagining the of S13 I saw you driving.

Curious how much it weighs, but even if you were 2000 pounds, you'd still be about 15whp short of my power to weight ratio.

I build the car as i drive it.
Suspension comes before HP in my book.
All thats left is a engine swap, and seats at this point.

hers the blog on the car build,
Docking Bay 94 (http://countvoncastro.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2010-06-21T03%3A52%3A00-07%3A00&max-results=7)

Marry me. :ssex:

exitspeed
03-17-2011, 11:13 AM
Awesome man.

KiLLeR2001
03-17-2011, 11:54 AM
Nice. Drop in an SR and level the playing field.

HyperTek
03-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Borrow a sr20 1 week before racewars.. ughh lol =p

ericcastro
03-17-2011, 02:33 PM
Nice. Drop in an SR and level the playing field.

I have interviews this sunday, and im gonna ask if i can, lol.
ITs only like 1500 and several hours to get one in.

but the races are the 2/3 and the 10th.
That would give me no shake down time, which scares me.
I would hate to be another 240sx that is just breaking down on a reality/contest show.
(what was that show where they raced across america and did challenges, about 5 years ago. the SR kept having problems and they dropped out)

Borrow a sr20 1 week before racewars.. ughh lol =p
thats what I'm saying.

KiLLeR2001
03-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Gumball 3000?

aziankingz
03-17-2011, 07:49 PM
I have interviews this sunday, and im gonna ask if i can, lol.
ITs only like 1500 and several hours to get one in.

but the races are the 2/3 and the 10th.
That would give me no shake down time, which scares me.
I would hate to be another 240sx that is just breaking down on a reality/contest show.
(what was that show where they raced across america and did challenges, about 5 years ago. the SR kept having problems and they dropped out)

thats what I'm saying.

Bullrun.. i think first or second season.

Hope you can drop an SR and prove to everyone that a 240 can roll (not literally i hope) with some high performance cars..

frftw
03-17-2011, 08:47 PM
haha i wanna see this when it airs, if you buy pistons for my ca u can use that...

rob22
03-17-2011, 08:58 PM
borrow a motor, borrow a diff and some wheels with good tires.
im sure you know somebody that'll let you borrow some parts.

make us proud.!

Tantwoforty
03-17-2011, 09:21 PM
ka-t :D
this is interesting...

jesse_s13
03-17-2011, 10:04 PM
^^^agreed.lol

BURSTspeed
03-17-2011, 10:52 PM
i have a turbo kit for your SOHC lol. dooooo itttt.

Gnnr
03-17-2011, 11:18 PM
One word. Naaawwwwsss. ;)

handinpants
03-17-2011, 11:20 PM
maybe if you didnt sell me all your gas, it would of worked good for these races

DALAZ_68
03-17-2011, 11:36 PM
id lend the CA...but, im one of those 6 yr plan fellows...lol

D.Adams
03-17-2011, 11:41 PM
Damn Castro i wish you luck on this one. I am deff going to watch this if its on TRU tv.

I can lend you my sr for this :) its strong as fuck and runs like a dream. It migh help out a little or maybe i can talk my friend into lending his built Sr sitting in the corner of his garage.

ericcastro
03-17-2011, 11:45 PM
Yeah, the time frame is so fast.
Even if I am allowed to put an SR in, I prolly need another week to make the money for it with work.

Think I will try and borrow a vlsd, and borrow rims and maybe buy some R comps or those hancooks mentioned earlier.

jesse_s13
03-17-2011, 11:48 PM
Goodluck man. You should try to sneak some vids for us to watch ;)

90hatchie
03-18-2011, 01:39 AM
castro borrow my sr!
349hp and 318tq
kick bootyholez

WIKID S4TEEN
03-18-2011, 08:58 AM
make us proud.!

Yeah, no pressure, lol.

exitspeed
03-18-2011, 09:19 AM
If you fuck this Eric I swear to God.....

NINJASPY
03-18-2011, 11:39 AM
you'll have to find any way to have an advantage within the rule books,, kinda like cheating but not quite. I remember a few years ago I went to a best motoring time attack at streets of willow, they wanted to test the fastest "street" car,, a few guys complained about dudes using R compounds during qualifying as this was a "street" aka dot legal class,,, well quite a few of the top/faster cars were disqualified. Keep the rules as a secret to yourself and expose those R compound guys on the day of the event. Instant winning!

Tires! tires tires!! choose best for each event.
Like for the 1 mile standing, if a regular stock s chassis does about 16 second quarter mile at 85ish mph, at 1/4mile you'll be going into 4th ,, you still have a good 3/4 mile and about 30 seconds left. Find out how long it would take to finish 4th and 5th gear,, 5th gear pulls are very hard on the engine, maybe some tire changes would help?

PS. Don't break. Find out the scoring system/rules, no point in running your car hard on events that you get have no chance in or get little points to finish. Rub doors, rubbin' is racin'.

I have hks speedlimit cut defenser unit you can use if you need. Not sure how it works if it works at all.

fckillerbee
03-18-2011, 11:58 AM
If you fuck this Eric I swear to God.....

Eric...if you fail at this drift event we are no longer friends.

p.s. tune your suspension for the oval. find out which way you are running, and set it based on that.

exitspeed
03-18-2011, 02:32 PM
Eric...if you fail at this drift event we are no longer friends.

p.s. tune your suspension for the oval. find out which way you are running, and set it based on that.

No longer frans.

ericcastro
03-20-2011, 09:22 PM
so it looks like the order of races has changed.

He said last race would be on big willow.

I have absolutely no chance on that.
So if thats how it stays, i will try and do my best in events, but put on drift shows throughout some of my runs too.

So no need for Rcomps, hawk brake pads or a LSD.

fckillerbee
03-21-2011, 03:59 PM
hawk pads suck anyways. it's all about porterfields rs4. and R-comps would help the most on big willow..you'll be able to hold most of your speed...but then again..you don't have power to keep up with anyone.

good luck castro..your not down to run backwards and crash all those fuckers like we did as kids playing nascar. hahahaa

roboticnissan
03-21-2011, 04:30 PM
Yeah your fucked on the big willow.

But I.second that you should slide the Shit out of big willow cuz you won't have another chance.

Gnnr
03-21-2011, 04:37 PM
I know I've seen somewhere a basic turbo setup for the KA using all the stock turbo parts off the SR that has decent gains.

dsastr_clan
03-21-2011, 04:47 PM
good luck mate!!! good vibes from the slut 801

josephin510
03-21-2011, 04:52 PM
I just happen to have a Rb25 swap laying around all you need is a non blown tranny...

ESmorz
03-21-2011, 04:58 PM
You have people willing to let you borrow motors.

Do it, shit on everyones face.

DMiller
03-22-2011, 04:20 AM
You have people willing to let you borrow motors.

Do it, shit on everyones face.

+1 to this, make somethin work and put some power in that car, you already have everything else covered in suspension and reducing weight.

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

Tantwoforty
03-22-2011, 01:57 PM
^ yeah
just grab some nice guys engine thats already tuned and reliable and do work..
hopefully you can get some shake down time though so you feel comfy with the engine an such
kick some new car ass

ericcastro
04-02-2011, 10:22 PM
So today we did a bunch of car control type things, ebrake into parking spot and barrelracing type stuff.

I crushed it.
So I have a good amount of points, and have a chance to win, but the events where HP comes into play are coming up.

So we have a 1/4 mile drag.

Whats a 100 shot of nos all about?
what are my 1/4 times without it in a stock sohc, and what would i run with it??
Is it gonna grenade my engine?
lol
I really know nothing about drag.
Would i use it on lauch? 2nd gear, or late second when the Ka torque starts to die out?
How much does the whole thing cost and whats involved in putting it together, i am seriously thinking i will do this.

We also have a 1 mile top speed run in mohave.
What can i get up to in a mile from a dead stop?
Fast enough i should unplug the speedo sensor so i dont cut off at 115?
And if i have the NOS, i figure i could use it here too.

We also will have best lap time on streets of willow, there is a smaller straightaway, and the large front one. Would nos help if i used it on the front straight, the back straight, and the front again, all in the same lap, to try and put down a good top time?

i would prolly borrow a 2way from someone, so i wouldnt push on the corners, and maybe buy r comps if i am still int he points running for first?

Thanks

sidewaysil80
04-02-2011, 10:54 PM
i have a freshly shimmed helical (they're good i measured lol) sitting in an r200 housing w/ proper output shafts and ready to roll. you would have to swap diff covers but if you want i'll mail that bitch to you on monday. only thing is i'm balls deep in a build and broke so you would have to cover s/h.

soreballz
04-02-2011, 11:20 PM
If you want to juice the KA (and have it last), you'll need some tuning. Different plugs, timing changes, etc. PM CodyAce. He might be able to give you some advice on the squeeze.

I'd suggest trying to find a 4.6 r&p to help compensate for your lack of power. It won't do you any good for the standing mile test, but it will definitely help your drag and road course times.

Gnnr
04-03-2011, 02:25 AM
http://i51.tinypic.com/t98wtl.jpg

:cool:

DMiller
04-03-2011, 02:36 AM
run an automatic ECU to get rid of speed cut, i ran one in my old s13 when i had the sohc, still has factory rev limiter, just no speed limiter and runs richer on decel so you will here popping on throttle lift at higher rpm.
nitrous install info: NOS Install (http://www.240sx.org/links/installs/nosinstall/NOS_Install.htm) (keep in mind, this is for a WET kit, DRY kit's are simpler but tend to have uneven NO2/FUEL distribution, which can hamper performance and reliability)
also pick up whats called a "window switch" which is wired into the nitrous setup, it is an RPM activated switch so that you don't accidentally bury the rev-limiter with nitrous spraying and grenade the engine.

cordobes
04-03-2011, 03:18 AM
i dont think u need to launch in 2nd gear with a stock ka..and if u put nos.. make sure the engine is gonna last for the other games ,lol

ericcastro
04-03-2011, 08:51 AM
i have a freshly shimmed helical (they're good i measured lol) sitting in an r200 housing w/ proper output shafts and ready to roll. you would have to swap diff covers but if you want i'll mail that bitch to you on monday. only thing is i'm balls deep in a build and broke so you would have to cover s/h.

Thats a lot of weight to ship.
any idea the cost?
im in 90029.

If you want to juice the KA (and have it last), you'll need some tuning. Different plugs, timing changes, etc. PM CodyAce. He might be able to give you some advice on the squeeze.

I'd suggest trying to find a 4.6 r&p to help compensate for your lack of power. It won't do you any good for the standing mile test, but it will definitely help your drag and road course times.

Hmm, having to tune sounds like money.

4.6 r&p ??

run an automatic ECU to get rid of speed cut, i ran one in my old s13 when i had the sohc, still has factory rev limiter, just no speed limiter and runs richer on decel so you will here popping on throttle lift at higher rpm.
nitrous install info: NOS Install (http://www.240sx.org/links/installs/nosinstall/NOS_Install.htm) (keep in mind, this is for a WET kit, DRY kit's are simpler but tend to have uneven NO2/FUEL distribution, which can hamper performance and reliability)
also pick up whats called a "window switch" which is wired into the nitrous setup, it is an RPM activated switch so that you don't accidentally bury the rev-limiter with nitrous spraying and grenade the engine.
Thanks, i will go over this tonight.

i dont think u need to launch in 2nd gear with a stock ka..and if u put nos.. make sure the engine is gonna last for the other games ,lol
I didnt mean launch second, i meant hit the nos in second, since the first gear is strong, and the cars top end is where it sucks.

I do have a tuned ECU in it right now.
No idea what it is.
Came from sideways performance.
They did a swap and it came off the sohc, they gave it to me for free.
Seems to give the car some more ponies, but does make it run hotter.
Think it says python or something on the sticker on the side.

sidewaysil80
04-03-2011, 08:57 AM
i can't imagine it being that much through greyhound. i'll get it weighed tomorrow and get an estimate.

ericcastro
04-03-2011, 08:59 AM
cool, thanks man :)
i know its a little work on your end, i appriciate it.

(and tried 3 times, and still cant spell that word, to early, off to the track again.)

soreballz
04-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Hmm, having to tune sounds like money.

4.6 r&p ??

4.6 ring and pinion gears for the diff. Stock is 4.08. IIRC, the 4.6 comes from the front diff of certain year Xterras. That's just what I've read, though.
It'd probably be easier to track down a 4.36 r&p.
The higher the number, the faster you accelerate. It will lessen your top speed as well, but that won't matter much with an n/a KA.
Read this:
http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=422754&sid=49414c5fa31516c9cbd5c0ff8730bf42

Nitrous can be a tricky thing for beginners. I bet there's threads about it on KA-T.org.

DMiller
04-03-2011, 06:57 PM
I do have a tuned ECU in it right now.
No idea what it is.
Came from sideways performance.
They did a swap and it came off the sohc, they gave it to me for free.
Seems to give the car some more ponies, but does make it run hotter.
Think it says python or something on the sticker on the side.

Sounds like a basic advanced timing and slightly modified generic rom tune for NA cars. If you plan on spraying it, go with stock ECU and retard ignition timing by roughly 1 to 1.5 degrees timing per 50 HP sprayed, drop to a colder plug gaped closed to .025″-.030″ and after your first test run on spray, check the plugs and make sure they are reading good and not running too lean.

codyace
04-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Easy one first: 4.6 final drives come out of the front differential of the early/first gen Xterra SE's. THey also had 4.9 in them, however I'm unsure if that 4.9 differential is the same as the r200 RP set. REgardless, a 4.6 will really wake the car up, but will eat some top end...but with a SOHC KA, it's not like you're going to be going fast anyway.

Now into nitrous:
How 'involved' do you want the nitrous setup to be? Do you want to run a basic dry shot, or take a risk and maybe run a Wet setup? As mentioned directly above me, it would be nice to know what the ECU was setup for (in regard to base timing, fuel required etc etc) but in the grand scheme it's not going to be anything substantial (if I were to assume)

To me, I'd suggest a wet setup simply due to the fact that you're relying on pisswater for fuel. If it was just to make a few balls out passes, it would be one thing to run it but to last is another. Certainly it involves adding a fuel cell for the fuel, a second pump, and wires...but it's all super easy! A generic external fuel pump works great (gravity fed of corse) as long as you know the maxium fuel pressure of it (so you can get accordingly)

With the wet kit, you could also get away without retarding that degree of timing IMO. THis will work out nicely 'overall' as you won't be down so much powerwise when not using it. If using a dry kit, I'd say to certainly pull a degree.

Regardless of the setup, DMiller is pretty spot on with the plug choice, as well as the advice in general. It would be nice to have a dyno available to really set in the jetting for it, but street won't hurt either. You'll be surprized that 'more nitrous' doesn't always mean more hp (but makes for some nasty puddeling/explosions).

Reliable: 50hp wet
Testing it: 70/75 hp shot, pull some timing or 50 hp dry (if you really wanted to get wacky you could spray before the MAF and see if it will correct it any for you...any little bit may help haha)
Gonna make some power, but puke all over the track eventually (or blow intake parts off): 100 hp wet. Gotta think they make 120-140 'stock/bolt ons' and you can rarely double stock engine power wheel output ...but man it will RIP.

I'm a bit tired from 3 days of field training, so this may be all over the place. I'll re-read this again tomorrow and see if I forgot anything.

In the

word sux
04-03-2011, 08:45 PM
thats awsome

single cams are cheap as fuck anyway. its better to burnout then fade away!

Oilcover
04-03-2011, 10:30 PM
I was castro's secret weapon today!

I'll let him tell the story. . .

ericcastro
04-03-2011, 11:03 PM
I was castro's secret weapon today!

I'll let him tell the story. . .

Shit man, check this out.

Everyone wanted to contend, or whatever its called.

So they go back through the tapes, and they flagged me at 9 laps on oval, not ten !!!!!!!!!!!! (everyone supposed to do ten)
But now they think they did it to others too, so we wont know the results till later.

Talk about bringing me down though, totally bummed the rest of my day.

BUT,
Your advice about the really late apex totally worked and compensated for the welded diff trying to push me in the corners.
Oval grip was actually pretty fun, totally different driving exp.
And I dont think i could have gone faster with the SOHC.

I may not roll the dice on the NOS now because they did a short drag tonight at the end of the day.
And there is no reason to use it for the top speed/mile challenge.

IF we do mohave mile for top speed.
and i say IF, because this shit is changing so fast.
If we do, my car tops out at 115 (fuel cut), at around 5 grand.
So If I pull the speedo, I will only be able to get another 1,500 RPM's out of the engine anyways.
If i can run a "16 second quarter mile at 85ish mph,", then i should be able to top my RPM's out.
So with the speedo cable off the tranny, does the tac still work, so i dont grenade it?

The rest of the events are more standard grip stuff.
So I am gonna try and borrow a diff if that one from PA wont make it or is to much to send.
man, wish R comps werent so expensive.

Who has a set for sale cheap?
or to borrow? lol
Im on 17x9 all around.

They also wanna do the events next weekend too, so maybe no FD long beach, im gonna be so bummed.

ericcastro
04-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Oh yeah, yesterday, I bent a inner tie rod, replaced it, and used a measuring tape to line it up.
So the whole weekend was done with that alighnment.

On the last 2 miles home tonight, something got loose and the front steering feels funny again :(
Gotta check what moved or loosened, re-align it with the tape, and feel it out .

DMiller
04-03-2011, 11:41 PM
IF we do mohave mile for top speed.
and i say IF, because this shit is changing so fast.
If we do, my car tops out at 115 (fuel cut), at around 5 grand.
So If I pull the speedo, I will only be able to get another 1,500 RPM's out of the engine anyways.
If i can run a "16 second quarter mile at 85ish mph,", then i should be able to top my RPM's out.
So with the speedo cable off the tranny, does the tac still work, so i dont grenade it?

just disconnect the speed sensor wires, the tachometer will still work you just wont have a working speedometer

Im on 17x9 all around.

what size tires?
asking for top speed purpose, because with 205/40R17 you should be able to top out at 147mph before factoring coefficient of drag and wind resistance
if you can step up to 225/45R17 even in just the rear, you will top out 5th at 156mph (this is all based on stock KA trans gear ratios and r&p gear in the diff) before factoring coefficient of drag and wind resistance

ericcastro
04-04-2011, 07:18 AM
just disconnect the speed sensor wires, the tachometer will still work you just wont have a working speedometer

what size tires?
asking for top speed purpose, because with 205/40R17 you should be able to top out at 147mph before factoring coefficient of drag and wind resistance
if you can step up to 225/45R17 even in just the rear, you will top out 5th at 156mph (this is all based on stock KA trans gear ratios and r&p gear in the diff) before factoring coefficient of drag and wind resistance

Im on 40 series 215's right now.
But I do have my heavier set of 17x9's, and i think i have some larger series tires.
will look after work.

silsx13
04-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Eric, I have a set of USED (35-45% tread left) Star Specs in a 255 40 17 size if ya wanna use em....

I know they're not R-comps but it's better than nothing at this point and you can have them for FREE. Just gotta pick them up....

Call or PM me back sir.

ericcastro
04-05-2011, 01:10 PM
^ I will stop by the shop today and talk with ya :)
thanks.

ericcastro
04-05-2011, 05:56 PM
I got some tires from Jon (silsx13 (http://zilvia.net/f/members/silsx13.html))

will be getting them mounted in the morning.
figuring out what got loose on the drive home in the front suspension.

Just need to track down a 2way or VLAD to borrow this weekend?
Anyone?

vboy720
04-05-2011, 06:11 PM
i was on judge judy, and my s14 was shown on it too.

ericcastro
04-06-2011, 01:24 PM
This coming Sunday is the last racing day.

I need to borrow some sort of Diff from someone.
2 way, 1.5, or especially a VLSD please.
Thanks.

itwillboost
04-06-2011, 01:48 PM
You said you have a tuned ecu. If you can hook it up to a laptop and see if you can unlock it. Alot of time these ecu's have software which can be located online and this can be beneifical to you. It's wont do a ton, but it will give me a bit more hp and get rid of your top speed limiter safely.

stiizy
04-06-2011, 01:57 PM
reality show? E really? are you selling on me bro??

fckillerbee
04-06-2011, 04:39 PM
did you welded break?

ericcastro
04-06-2011, 06:48 PM
No, but we are down to
Mohave Mile top Speed (unhooking speedo from tranny, should get about 130-145 mph)
HTM time attack
Streets of willow.
Chicago box (??)

I have some used R-comps, so i need a diff.
The welded is fine, but pushes and creates understeer in the corners.
A different diff and the tires should pick up a few seconds and show what a driver can do with a 22 year old car, 140hp and a build budget of $5,500 for the car.

Would be nice to win this thing.

ericcastro
04-06-2011, 06:53 PM
I am also tapped out on money, since i am replacing my steering rack (it finally broke).
And prolly the high pressure line (cost depending)

anyone mount and balance for free,
Was gonna put the Rcomps on my current rims, and my feds on those chrome ones i have.
Will prolly drive on the chrome to the track, and put the rcomps on and remove my rear over fenders to clear,
Road warrior time on these fools !!

Walperstyle
04-07-2011, 05:57 AM
Wish I lived near you, with this time off work, I wish I could help!

ericcastro
04-07-2011, 07:00 PM
reality show? E really? are you selling on me bro??

Look at who checked in after a several year break, lol.
whats happining man? :)

so i got the new rack in.
Alighnment is coming saturday as well as all the tires o have on, going to the heavier chrome rims i have.
And i will be putting used DUNLOP Direzza sport Z1's on my lighter rims.
255/40, 17.
Gonna pull the over fenders off the rear so they fit.

just waiting on a Diff to borrow????????????????????

ericcastro
04-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Got a Helical coming on loan for a week.

Some water wetter and coolant and i think i am set.!!

mikerbike
04-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Quick, jack up your car and disconnect all the plugs from your trans that aren't the speed sensor. I think the single cam has a 4th and 5th gear sensor, then the reverse switch. If you know which ones are 4th and 5th, just disconnect them. But, the ecu limits REVS in 4th and 5th, NOT SPEED. If you have time, and a buddy, you can check which one is reverse and leave it plugged in. (It might be dual cam trans that have 4th gear sensor, I can't remember.)

spoolandslide
04-08-2011, 03:24 PM
It's not how you stand by your car, it's how you race your car.

Get some Eric.

DMiller
04-11-2011, 12:24 AM
Heard you did the standing mile at 106mph today, not a bad standing mile for stock KA with a chipped ECU
edit: Just saw the comment on the speedhunters photo. shame revs cut out on ya, I think it might have been what "mikerbike" was saying about 4th and 5th gear sensors cutting revs. I 've never had 4th and 5th gear sensors to tell if thats what limited speed, always thought it was speed sensor signal.

ericcastro
04-11-2011, 12:38 AM
^
yeah, I was maxed out at the 3/4 mile mark. would have been real nice to actually be able to take it to 5th gear redline.

unhooked the sensor wires from the tranny on the second run, and ran the stock ECU.
The RPM's cut on my, lol.
Awesome event to go to, such amazing cars.

plus making the speedhunters facebook page was cool, and meeting Linhbergh at the track. A friend text me the screen shot while i was there, and i figured it must be the photographer with the Aasbo, "Hold Stunt" tshirt :)

facebook link
Speedhunters's Photos - Wall Photos | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150234928165809&set=a.426876035808.205382.125281815808&theater)

My car at willow today.
Login | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150156235100918&set=a.441831955917.243283.542300917&theater)
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/208419_10150156235100918_542300917_7290292_5045165 _n.jpg
you can see where i had to hammer the shit out of the firewall to fit those 255's with my 38mm spacers.
Not used to running Direzzi's or being on a Helicol diff.
Takes some practice. Did ok though.

KOME
04-11-2011, 12:39 AM
Get VTEC bro

KOME
04-11-2011, 12:40 AM
Also nice wheels :]

DMiller
04-11-2011, 12:54 AM
^
yeah, I was maxed out at the 3/4 mile mark. would have been real nice to actually be able to take it to 5th gear redline.

unhooked the sensor wires from the tranny on the second run, and ran the stock ECU.
The RPM's cut on my, lol.
Awesome event to go to, such amazing cars.

plus making the speedhunters facebook page was cool, and meeting Linhbergh at the track. A friend text me the screen shot while i was there, and i figured it must be the photographer with the Aasbo, "Hold Stunt" tshirt :)

haha damn, yea I saw that picture come up on my facebook feed and thought that was your car lol.

you can see where i had to hammer the shit out of the firewall to fit those 255's with my 38mm spacers.
Not used to running Direzzi's or being on a Helicol diff.
Takes some practice. Did ok though.
I know what ya mean about having to beat the ever loving hell out of the firewall side of the inner fender, I had the issue of rubbing the front and back of the inner fender on 225/45-17s in my s13 as well at lock and I can imagine you had issues even if it wasn't full lock with the wider wheel and tire sizes.
Any idea what the results are for the events you did? If you cant post them due to contractual reasons its understandable, just curious how well you managed against the competition.

ericcastro
04-11-2011, 12:59 AM
Im still doing pretty good.
We have had a lot of car control events mixed in so i do well with them.
The open track,....not so well.
Its a 140hp in a 22 year old car, lol.

Supposedly the show has gotten picked up and has a DVD deal, so at least we will all be able to watch it and laugh at a SOHC out there trying to be a thread, lol.

DMiller
04-11-2011, 01:08 AM
well, you're doing the best you can with what you have.

If/when the dvd is released, post up the title of it or w/e and i'll pick up a copy. You know when they plan on airing the show or will it be a straight-to-dvd thing now?

andisan
04-11-2011, 01:10 AM
Good job, keep us updated on that DVD so we can all check it out

roboticnissan
04-11-2011, 01:44 AM
What was your htm time?

fckillerbee
04-11-2011, 12:28 PM
good job castro...car looks like fucking hell! lol

ericcastro
04-11-2011, 12:55 PM
What was your htm time?

well, it was pretty much the first time i used the Direzzi tires.
big learning curve to control grip tires.
they stick, but when they do slide, they are just as slick as anything.
Also, first time on anything but a welded for 4 years. (helical)

We basically pulled out, ran around and as we passed water tower, our time started, one lap, and then a cool down.

So with all that, i think i was like 108ish. (cant say what everyone else got or where i stand, and i dont think they are gonna use it anyways.)
went off track with two wheels which then caused the back to loosen up on me so i had to real it in.
I needed a lot more time to learn the car set up :(

On my cool down i drifted past a camera for kicks, the helical and direzzis 255's drifted just as easily and smooth as my welded and 215 feds, lol

mikerbike
04-14-2011, 12:14 AM
I 've never had 4th and 5th gear sensors to tell if thats what limited speed, always thought it was speed sensor signal.

If yours is all connected proper, put it in fifth and hold the clutch down, the full throttle. It should bounce at ~5000rpm.

Either SOHC or DOHC has 4th gear also. Or maybe it's just 89s. Mine did. It limited the rpm in 4th to ~6200 maybe? It's been a long time.

I don't have 5th gear sensor connected on my DE and have no limiter. I'm not sure why it didn't work, Castro.

SinGarage
04-25-2011, 02:13 PM
I'm actually excited to see some of the footage. Any updates Castro?

ericcastro
06-26-2011, 11:18 AM
from my facebook the other day.

Drag racing.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/262391_10150224873745918_542300917_7864653_1577578 _n.jpg

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/270421_10150225029290918_542300917_7866481_1423506 _n.jpg

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/264215_10150225075765918_542300917_7867218_1051766 _n.jpg
(im 5207 on the right)

Kept breaking out as i figured out the drag racing thing.
Not bad for a SOHC with a intake and heavy ass rims.
guess no clutch fan, no ac/heater, no interior and some sort of tuned ECU did make a difference.
If I could get my R/T down, and lighter rims i could get close to 15's maybe.
That would be good for a SOHC engine i think.
maybe I got a new motorsport now.

But its only fun when its braketed racing, lol
its pretty intense seeing them catching you fast as your flying down the track.
Hoping to cross that line before they pass you. :)

Supposed air date is around the fall.
will air in most areas, but maybe not the CA cause of the difference in cable companies.
I am sure it will make it over a lot of car forums though, since there is such a wide variety of cars in the show.
Just hope i dont come off like a douche.
I say some pretty honest stuff in my interviews like,
"I've met some really great guys on this show,......and some alright ones too"
lmao !!

ericcastro
06-09-2012, 07:47 AM
years later a trailer shows up

Street Kings Street Racing Reality Show Season 1 teaser. - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFN7lXsDi7Q&feature=youtu.be)

cant figure out how to embedd :(

future
06-09-2012, 08:11 AM
Nice

Mahhasgg cwjsvw

DreamN
06-09-2012, 08:12 AM
Bahahahahahahahahah!!!

I love it. Bro you're the star in this for sure. LOL

1on1
06-09-2012, 10:06 AM
fixed

vFN7lXsDi7Q

CleanAndLegit
06-09-2012, 10:16 AM
these guys cant touch me! ahaha do work!

Tantwoforty
06-09-2012, 10:29 AM
otCpCn0l4Wo

ghoti
06-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Soooooooooo who won?:mepoke:

aziankingz
06-09-2012, 09:28 PM
What channel is this going to be on?

ericcastro
06-10-2012, 12:19 AM
these guys cant touch me! ahaha do work!

Lol, Im out there with a KA saying that shit, lmao!

Soooooooooo who won?:mepoke:

Not 100% since it works off a point system. Im up there though, but not sure how up there :)

What channel is this going to be on?
Not 100% sure.
Its not well done, basically no budget.
He's trying to shop it around, but i wish he would just make it into a little web series, then sell season 2 and go make a better product.

But hes trying super hard to sell season one (this one), that its just getting older and older.

rat240
06-10-2012, 04:34 AM
so dope but i want to see more!!!!!!!!!!!

ghoti
06-10-2012, 12:16 PM
He can offer Season 1 as a web series, like you said and see if it sparks interest in viewers. Then Season two can be a....wait for it.......

Season 1 cast reunion Rematch!:coolugh:

ericcastro
06-13-2012, 11:49 AM
He updated the trailer,

Little better, more of me in it.

gbXm4RfvLzo

ericcastro
08-29-2012, 12:44 AM
So they now have a FB page you can like.

http://www.facebook.com/streetkingstv

Also it says its gonna air in a couple weeks,

"Its official! Season premiere September 8th! Look for Street Kings Saturdays at 8:30pm and Sundays at 10pm this fall on Tuff TV!"

So if you go to the TUFF TV site, they have a list of "affiliates" you click on that, look for your state and area.
Then you see if you are in the range of the signal.
guess its just a free signal to your reciever, no cable needed. just some bunny ears.

http://www.tufftv.com/#!affiliates/c3dm

i have seen the first episode or two, and its a little slow. but as it goes on i know we did better races and the competitiveness starts to come out. i know down the road i loose it a little at the kart track,.... or maybe alot. lol

ericcastro
11-15-2012, 10:08 PM
there are two episodes online right now, not sure if all have played yet, i dont watch it on Saturday nights, i go out and YOLO, lmao

STREET KINGS: Episode 106 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2mWcu8RTHA&feature=plcp)

STREET KINGS: Episode 107 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS2pJwjtdEs&feature=plcp)

deolio
11-15-2012, 10:29 PM
are you a trained professional?

Daniel.
11-15-2012, 10:56 PM
Castro Castro Castro Castro!!!

ericcastro
01-10-2013, 02:24 PM
Deliverable Episode 111 Street Kings - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiohrFxql3M&feature=youtu.be)

i loose my cool at 19:20 lol

"Like, obviously Im faster so get the Fuck out of my way" LMAO!!

Banana_Cute
01-10-2013, 05:19 PM
you was mad bro.

pretty cool though.

but the dude was right. Hahaha

xpertsnowcarver
01-10-2013, 06:12 PM
Hahaha. Its a tack tick in racing to slightly nudge the person in front of you just enough to get them to run a tad wide, sometimes without the leader realizing you caused it. It's hard to do it smoothly without offending anyone, but pros do it all the time.

ericcastro
01-10-2013, 08:59 PM
yeah, a bit of bumping is cool.

I was pissed at the dude cause after over 6 laps, you can let the guy that nudges you on every corner pass, especially when they are in the top 3 and have a chance to win.
Then when i passed him, if i remember, he just pushed me into the wall on the next corner killing both of us.
I was able to break away and still caught the leaders in a lap and a half. dude wasted like 12 of my 16 laps.
The guys in front were so concerned with not letting each other pass, they were running slow.