PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a S13 NA High-Flow Cat?

SiNFuL
09-24-2003, 10:53 PM
Question on these babies. I've heard testpipes make your car loud as **** and I hate that! So i want the throttle response w/o the noise. I've heard of CATCO and that summit racing sells these. Does catco only make high flow? I checked the site and I saw one "universal nissan/toyota" catylytic converter. NOw i don't like the idea that its universal and it doesn't say high flow...am I being too careful?
-Galen

Negreac
09-25-2003, 08:09 AM
www.heavythrottle.com sells Hi-flow catcos. You could try e-mailing them.

SiNFuL
09-25-2003, 03:42 PM
That one bolts on to the SR20 tho =(; or does it not matter??
-Galen

Kid Zelda
09-25-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by SiNFuL
That one bolts on to the SR20 tho =(; or does it not matter??
-Galen

it doesn't matter, with SR or KA, the CAT is always in the same place, unless you changed it or something.

SiNFuL
09-25-2003, 03:49 PM
What about sizes of the flanges(or whatever)?
-Galen

JasonNagra
09-25-2003, 03:53 PM
Depends on your downpipe and exhaust flange size.

SiNFuL
09-25-2003, 10:37 PM
correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't downpipes for Turbo only; and they replace the cat(the thing we're talking about!) Usuually they're 3" and thats why the high flow is 3" as well(it's a smog-legal flow replacement. Test pipe=downpipe for NA). But the 3" fits onto the SR20, i dunno about the KA.
-Galen

Negreac
09-26-2003, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by SiNFuL
correct me if I'm wrong,

Ok, you're wrong... A down pipe is the pipe that comes off the turbo extension/O2 sensor housing and runs to the cat. From the cat all the way back the KA and SR exhaust systems are the same, cat included. The KA doesn't have an exhaust manifold, turbo extension, or a down pipe. It has 2 section headers in a semi 4-2-1 configuration which runs all the way to the cat.

FRpilot
09-26-2003, 10:24 AM
technically, the term exhaust manifold is very vague and can describe many things. it could be 'headers' or a 'turbo manifold'. it just the big chunk of metal connecting to the exhaust side of your engine to route the exhaust gases out. the ka also has a downpipe. most engines do. it's just not a 3'' downpipe that turbo cars use or upgrade to. most aftermarket header systems incorporate the exhaust manifold and downpipe into a one peice design that bolts right up to the cat. so the ka does have an exhaust manifold and downpipe.

as for which high flow system you should get for your n/a engine. theres not really many choices out there. most of the aftermarket jdm systems are for sr20s. i know 5zigen makes an n/a version of their fireball catback system thats 60mm. you can also get the apex n1 dual which is good for both turbo or n/a application. i know magnaflow makes a system for ka24.

Negreac
09-26-2003, 12:58 PM
True, you could refer to headers as the exhaust manifold but I always call non-turbo manifolds headers and turbo manifolds manifolds just to keep things less vague, alot of other people do the same. And you're technically right about the downpipe but you're gonna confuse the guy. Typically when you refer to a downpipe it's always on a turbo charged car. Nobody buys aftermaket downpipes for a non-turbo vehicles, I don't even know of anyone that makes them.

SiNFuL
09-27-2003, 12:31 AM
awesome, I am enlightened yet again! So should I go for the CATCO one at summit? I think I'm definately gonna do the 5zigen fireball for the exhaust.
-Galen