PDA

View Full Version : 2way movement and clunk

Fries
03-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Installed a used ATS 2 way into my vert. I know the diff's been used on a road coursed car and it didnt see to have any issues with traction but I'll post my question regardless.

When turning the rear end clunks loudly [this is normal from what I understand] but it also feels like when it does clunk that the vehicle is being moved by the diff. Sort of jerking a little with every clunk.

I havent driven the car in a while so the jerk may have been my imagination going crazy from the loudness of the diff [top down] but if it was doing this would that mean the diff is busted?

I did do a little burn out an it did spin both tyres so Im assuming its still locking.

Just a little curious since I may be driving 'cross country.

K_style
03-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Check if your rear wheels are in center..
your sub-frame bushings maybe need to be changed..

Fries
03-02-2011, 08:04 PM
What do you mean by in center?
I'm 100% sure my subframe bushings need replaced. Added stress of the twoway be causing the extra movement?

godzillarb
03-02-2011, 08:57 PM
New subframe bushings will help a lot.

I had major clunking and driveshaft vibration after installing a 2 way lsd out of a GTR. While the car was parked, I could take my hand and wiggle the driveshaft and could hear slack in the gears. Anyways, if you take the drive shaft off there is a big as nut inside of the lsd flange, it may need to be tightened up. After I tightened mine up, all the clunking and slop went away.

Ali 556
03-02-2011, 11:58 PM
I'm 100% sure my subframe bushings need replaced. Added stress of the twoway be causing the extra movement?

yes,

get ebay solid bushing they will help ALOT with the movement, the cars rear end will be solid and one piece,

granted they they hummmm like bitches and you will hear all the gears in the ATS diff @ the back of your neck.

Nismo is good too if you don't want the hummmm noise. :)

AdrenalineS14
03-03-2011, 09:12 PM
^ indeed solid bushings would be real good... plus most 2 ways clunk and make some noise... i got a nismo 2 way and switched to motul PA90 diff oil GOOD SHIT and shuts up the diff but still locks like a charm when sliding and only 17 bucks for 2L from nismoshop/west covina just an idea if you decide to drop the rear subframe for the solid bushing install

Zenki_516
03-08-2011, 02:24 PM
I just want to point out that the jerking feeling will most likely never go away even after new subframe bushings and such. That clunk you hear is the lsd working and that means the wheels are spinning at the same speed, but in a turn that means fighting each other. I run a welded diff and understand what you mean by the car being jerked around, but I would explain it more like a pushing feeling in the rear. Also both people telling you to go solid subframe have s14's in their sigs, but unlike them your s13 has a solid mounted diff so stepping up to solid subframe bushings will most likely increase how harsh the diff feels and possibly make it even louder. Sounds to me like you just need to get used to a 2way, but the subframe bushings are always a good idea.

K_style
03-08-2011, 02:57 PM

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g58/peterkim0121/IMGP2479.jpg

can you see my wheel is set to back more than center?
my sub-frame bushings were shot.. and it was making clunk noise every time I was driving
it needed it to be changed..