PDA

View Full Version : Help messed up cam gear install!!!

jlmillionaire
02-20-2011, 05:33 PM
Hi everyone,I botched my first adjustable cam gear install.Unfortunately i forgot to set the timing marks to tdc.I took of the vtc cam and exhaust cam gear and swapped them out for greddy ones.i could not get the 2 black links to match up with the notches in the cam gears.plus to make matters worse when i was rotating the harmonic balancer it would get a little tough to rotate at one spot.im hoping i didn't bend a valve??PLEASE some one help:hyper:

jlmillionaire
02-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Hi everyone,I botched my first adjustable cam gear install.Unfortunately i forgot to set the timing marks to tdc.I took of the vtc cam and exhaust cam gear and swapped them out for greddy ones.i could not get the 2 black links to match up with the notches in the cam gears.plus to make matters worse when i was rotating the harmonic balancer it would get a little tough to rotate at one spot.im hoping i didn't bend a valve??PLEASE some one help:hyper:

Schassis707
02-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Happenned to my buddy on his sr... lets just say that motor needed to get taken apart and fixed... broke valves, and fucked up a piston

inferno s14
02-20-2011, 07:52 PM
thats a serious messup buddy, anytime you fuck with timing parts you always gotta be sure and carefull.

jlmillionaire
02-20-2011, 08:17 PM
well i never ran the motor,is there anyway to fix it?

KaminaSan
02-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Were you turning the crank without the timing chain hooked up to the cams at all? If so, why would you do thaaaaaat caaaarrrl?
I suggest you tow it to a performance shop. Some things are meant to be done by people who really have a good handle on things. Thats why I leave head/timing shit to the people. I'd rather pay to have it done right, than pay to have my engine rebuilt because I fucked it up.

Thats the only way I could see you doing serious damage, and even at that, you would have had to really hammer down on that sucker to bend valves.

Don't touch it. Tow it to a shop.

I mean, you didn't even start it up.

jlmillionaire
02-20-2011, 08:47 PM
no the first time i tried,and it wouldn't even start.and then i realized that i forgot to set all the marks in the first place.

jlmillionaire
02-20-2011, 09:09 PM
no the first time i tried,and it wouldn't even start.and then i realized that i forgot to set all the marks in the first place.

jlmillionaire
02-20-2011, 09:10 PM
is the only way to check for bent valves is compression leak down test?

fliprayzin240sx
02-21-2011, 05:11 AM
Start from scratch...dont do anything else with the engine till you set the mech timing back on. Take the timing chain tensioner off, pop the valve cover and pop off both cams. Do not, I mean DO NOT turn the crank with the cams on and chain/mech timing not hooked up right. YOU WILL BEND VALVES. Think about it...piston goes up, valve stays open since you have the cams on. Only way to close the valves is by taking the cams out.

Once you have the cam off, turn the crank and put it to TDC. Have somebody hold on to the chain so it wont drop down into the oil pump cover. TDC = #1 cylinder all the way up and the mark on the crank pulley line up to the 2nd dot from the left. Hold your breath that the timing chain marks are on point. Would make it easier if they are, if not, you'd have to count the chain links.

codyace
02-21-2011, 06:16 AM
Just put the stock cam gears back on, and install it like the FSM says.

jlmillionaire
02-21-2011, 02:07 PM
I think my best bet is too bring it to performance shop,im ok with mechanics but i dont want to fuck with internals id rather pay to get it done rite.

jlmillionaire
03-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Guys everything is good with my car i brought it to a shop and its all good in the hood

hessianben
03-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Did I read that you tried to start it??

Then, my friend you HAVE bent valves.
Take off head, start over.

jlmillionaire
03-06-2011, 08:01 PM
no i never started it,im good compression test 160 across the board and ive been driving the car for the past couple days.