PDA

View Full Version : Injen Short Ram vs Cold air intake

SilviaSR20DET
09-22-2003, 11:12 AM
Well i have the injen cold air extension and short ram and i decided to go short ram instead of the cold air because there is a slight lag of power in the mid range. It seems as though the short ram is alot more responsive during hard acceleration and the top end seems better. I added a plumbing pipe instead to feed the short ram cold air and is working very well. Is the cold air extension supposed to add that much power more than the short ram or are they about the same? From what i heard the problem with the cold air extension is that its super long and doesnt allow alot of flow during hard acceleration so im debating either to keep my custom short ram or put back on the cold air extension.

Rockenreno
09-22-2003, 10:56 PM
a short ram is more effective due to less distance for the air to travel. Should be pretty self explanatory. ;)

240silvia
09-24-2003, 09:48 AM
The short ram will always be more responsive, just like you said, the air doesn't have to travel as far. From what I understand, the cold air extension only gives you like another 2 hp, so in my opinion it's not worth it. You should do something that i haven't seen before, take sheet metal and make a shield around the intake filter. One of my friends has an 88 all-trac celica, and we made one for his car, seemed to help out a lot, keeps the intake away from the hot engine temps. If you decide to do that, let us know.

SilviaSR20DET
09-24-2003, 11:36 AM
Yah i created a intake thing that runs from the bumper to the inside of the engine bay (replaces where the cold air extension used to be). All i did was buy a long plumbing pipe (black) and cut it to the size i needed then bought a air vent elbow to lead the air into the filter and the engine bay to make it colder. It works so well im throwing away that cold air extension. What i experienced is about 3700 to 4000 rpm theres this pull i never felt with my cold air extension the high end is incredible and also i get to keep my lowend and mid range since i created that intake thing.Oh yea and the sound of my car is soooo much meaner than the cold air extension and im very proud of what i made. Id recommend ppl with short ram to do the same as i did.