PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP with my 240sx

jojoreyes
02-17-2011, 12:46 PM
Hey guys I have a a 96 240sx with a ka motor. When I am driving and in fourth gear then down shift to slow down to come to a complete stop at the street light then i hit it in neutral. Then all of sudden my car just dies and i try to start it it cranks but it doesnt start up. I have to push my car on the side of the road and wait for about at least 2-5min then give it some gas while turning the key to start it and it slowly starts. The first time this happened was the beginning of this week. My rpm randomly changes sometimes to 1000 to 800 900... What seems to be the problem? My battery is fine because the lights stay on the car and they dont dim at all when i try to start it. Spark plugs was changed 4 months ago. What could be the problem/s ?? Please help! Thank you!

cobras89
02-17-2011, 12:58 PM
your battery would have nothing to do with it turning off because your car was already on before. most likely its your throttle position sensor.

Sileighty_85
02-17-2011, 01:10 PM
pull codes from ECU.

If you dont know how Search.

sounds like the CTS (Coolant Temp Sensor)

bigboto_boy
02-17-2011, 01:16 PM
distributer check that mine did the same thing would die randomly and would start again after waiting a while

s13 @ fullboost
02-17-2011, 01:32 PM
could also be a maf flooding issue seen it happen other option vacuum leak?

jojoreyes
02-17-2011, 04:48 PM
thanks for all the info I will check all of these.. but i jus changed my oil today and the previous owner did not have a oil change in months i guess because when i drained the oil out there was only 3.5 quarts in my car.. so i drove it home and back to work just now and the rpm only drops to 950 and stays steady and has never died down ill drive it out and what happens later on the week but i will check all the info you guys gave me.. but do you guys think it could be due to low oil???

92dagrey
02-18-2011, 07:41 AM
Sounds like a vacuum leak or an Idle air control valve problem. Do the rpms drop and stay there or do they bounce from 1000 to 800 or something low like that?

J3123MY
02-18-2011, 12:38 PM
thanks for all the info I will check all of these.. but i jus changed my oil today and the previous owner did not have a oil change in months i guess because when i drained the oil out there was only 3.5 quarts in my car.. so i drove it home and back to work just now and the rpm only drops to 950 and stays steady and has never died down ill drive it out and what happens later on the week but i will check all the info you guys gave me.. but do you guys think it could be due to low oil???

You fucked up. Should have changed the oil right away when you bought the car. Oil is important.

jojoreyes
02-18-2011, 04:17 PM
Sounds like a vacuum leak or an Idle air control valve problem. Do the rpms drop and stay there or do they bounce from 1000 to 800 or something low like that?

yesterday it didnt drop at all jus stayed at 950rpm... but today it just did the same thing and died on me when i came to a complete stop happened twice when i was driving home from work and back to work.. but now the rpm stays at 1000 or 950 or it jumps between 1000 and 800... do you think it can be the 02 sensor?

jojoreyes
02-18-2011, 04:29 PM
And also i just installed 6k HID's on last sunday and before i noticed installing the HID's, the RPMS never jumped like that on me at all...?? think it could be that also???

92dagrey
02-19-2011, 10:38 AM
the HID's will draw more power but it shouldnt be that much too shut the engine off unless you somehow wired them wrong but they are usually plug n play. the o2 sensor def does affect how the car runs. do u know how old or new it is? Did you pull codes yet?

jojoreyes
02-19-2011, 10:51 AM
the HID's will draw more power but it shouldnt be that much too shut the engine off unless you somehow wired them wrong but they are usually plug n play. the o2 sensor def does affect how the car runs. do u know how old or new it is? Did you pull codes yet?

i am getting the codes today.. ill let u guys kno thanks for all the help..

jojoreyes
02-21-2011, 03:01 PM
So I got the codes and don't know what they mean can someone help me what I need to fix please? P0115 ect ckt malfunction, P0505 idle control system malfunction, and P0125 low ect for closed loop fuel control?

jojoreyes
02-21-2011, 04:21 PM
hey guys i found out what the problem was and all i need to do is replace the coolant temp sensor and clean the IAV.. i appreciate all your help guys...