PDA

View Full Version : NYC Car Scene

KidDynamite
02-15-2011, 12:35 AM
Hey guys I'm from Sydney Australia, and it looks like there is a 90% chance I will be moving to the states due to a job offer and i will be getting paid nearly double and I would like to know about the car scene in NYC not sure of the scene at all if its the same as in Sydney etc and I have some questions.

Do you guys go on cruises or is it mainly hardpark meets?

Is there much or a drifting scene in NYC?

I currently have a 200sx S14A (240sx late model S14) but I would like to go in the VIP scene eg maybe get a infiniti Q45 or something, are they good cars and issues with them etc?

I heard a rumor cops are cool and dont care about how low you are and mods you do to cars in the states is this true?

KidDynamite
02-15-2011, 05:12 AM
Hey guys I'm from Sydney Australia, and it looks like there is a 90% chance I will be moving to the states due to a job offer and i will be getting paid nearly double and I would like to know about the car scene in NYC not sure of the scene at all if its the same as in Sydney etc and I have some questions.

Do you guys go on cruises or is it mainly hardpark meets?

Is there much or a drifting scene in NYC?

I currently have a 200sx S14A (240sx late model S14) but I would like to go in the VIP scene eg maybe get a infiniti Q45 or something, are they good cars and issues with them etc?

I heard a rumor cops are cool and dont care about how low you are and mods you do to cars in the states is this true?

Rag
02-15-2011, 06:04 AM
New york has a couple drift events but not in the city. Check D-up at monticello and drift faction in Lebanon valley. Most of the better drivers attend Clubloose in new jersey.Police wont hassle you unless you're speeding, driving like a dickbag or very loud. You can slam your car but NYC is not a low car friendly area. As long as you pass the emissions and inspection test you can drive with engine mods and suspension mods.

www.ClubLoose.com :: Index (http://www.clubloose.com/clubloose/phpbb/index.php)

That's the largest concentration of east coast drifters on a forum.

KidDynamite
02-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Ok cheers for answering my questions :) also I have a few more:

1: how is insurance in america is there certain companys that cater for the modded car scene? Is is expensive?

2: I have found a few VIP cars on this website but their all located in califorina, so I would be thinking of doing a road trip and taking it back to NYC to you reccomend that? and is it easy to transfer the registeration from one state to another?

3: The licence, in Sydney we have a system of 12 point and if you speed or drink and get caught etc you lose points and have to pay fines what the deal in the US is it similar?

4: Is there speed cameras and the such?

PS sorry about the questions its just I wanna do as much homework as possible so im not hit with any suprises :)

Rag
02-15-2011, 02:16 PM
1- Insurance has no idea what i do with my vehicles, i pay the same rate as any other stock 240sx or cressida. You can have the vehicle appraised and then insured for an amount, you'll need to pay extra.

2- I do not recommending a cross country drive unless the vehicle has airbags which enable it to raise to a safe height or is close to stock height.

3- NYS DMV - Alcohol and Drug Driving Violations (http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/alcohol-drug.htm)
Dont be a fucking idiot, drive sober and drive safely. Loss of license due to a DWI also brings huge legal fees and huge insurance rate increases.

4- Yes.

If i was you i'd get a simple yet cheap daily driver, get settled in. Learn your area and roads. Several months later i'd buy a better car and modify it, then sell the first car to recoup costs.

KidDynamite
02-15-2011, 02:39 PM
Thanks again for answering my questions mate :)

this looks like it has bags

http://zilvia.net/f/cars-sale/365950-feeler-fs-ft-vip-2001-infiniti-q45-low-miles.html

this is one of the cars i am intrested in is there a website that I can look at? lol all i know of is ebay.com and zilvia in the for sale section.

Also in NY is it 2 number plates or only 1? like I have seen pics of cars an they only have the rear number plate whats the go with that and can you order custom plates and is there a yearly cost for this?

enkei2k
02-15-2011, 07:24 PM
NY you need two plates, one in front and one in back. other states may only require 1, but NY you would have 2 license plates. you can check out craigslist also: craigslist: new york city classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events (http://newyork.craigslist.org/)

custom plates require a yearly fee. you can check out the NY DMV website for info on that

madd ocx
02-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Well you might have 2 sell your s14 cause we drive on the left-hand side and it'd hard to get a right hand vehicle registered.. cops will only tmess with you towards the end of the month to get the ticket quota.. a few might bug for an exhaust but that's about it.. we have an 11 point system here.. once you get fined over that your license gets suspended.. there is no drifting in the city, you have to go to long island or jersey..

tinys s14
02-16-2011, 11:45 PM
your not gunna want to slam you car in ny especially now the salt has eaten away the roads and they are deep deep pot holes everywhere

hotlavaflow
02-17-2011, 01:32 AM
When you get to NYC hit me up. We're at the track every event the street races and meets. 'hG

90hatchie
02-19-2011, 01:47 PM
ny has no emissions tests anymore for state inspection its just a safety check now
you can run big turbo no emissions crap no cat and straight exhaust and still pass

KidDynamite
03-16-2011, 03:10 PM
thanks for the info guys looks like my job opportuntity has been pushed back to may 2011 so will have to wait till then missus is looking at a 350z or a Evo 8 but converting it to RWD does anyone know any good custom workshops in NYC that are good at widebody? missus would really like to widebody a 350z

KidDynamite
03-16-2011, 03:15 PM
forgot to add since we (me and the gf) will be moving to NYC is there places we can rent garage spots I know in sydney people place ads on street poles for garages for rent is it the same deal in NYC?

hotlavaflow
03-17-2011, 08:13 AM
In NY it's all about Craigslist.org check on there for garage spaces. As for the widebody there are a lot of shops that can do that for you no problem.

nyc240sx
03-17-2011, 09:36 AM
get on headlighttheory.com for big meets

KidDynamite
03-17-2011, 09:33 PM
cool thanks guys would be good meeting up with you guys once im over have to experience these "hardpark" meets i always see on fatlace and hellaflush looks pretty rad cant wait :)

itwillboost
03-17-2011, 09:45 PM
If you want pm me, my car club normally has a good 60 cars at meets. Our nissan meets get over 200 cars.

KidDynamite
03-17-2011, 09:51 PM
If you want pm me, my car club normally has a good 60 cars at meets. Our nissan meets get over 200 cars.

will do will have to get all ur guys facebooks too as i wont know anyone in nyc :( wanna see the difference the sydney car scene and the nyc scene has :D

msladypaula
03-30-2011, 07:55 AM
you're gonna fit right in in NYC... doesn't matter where you from dude, we all share the same passion for cars.

and btw, you could register your RHD car here in the states, it just takes alittle more effort and knowledge to do it the right way.
there is no written law that you have to be LHD ... i shall say you'd have to get used to driving on the wrong side though.

Hope to see you at a meet soon!

https://www.facebook.com/missladypaula
3am touge car crew
track, drift, and car show junkies
event coordinator
car show promoter

ZX88
03-30-2011, 08:28 AM
forgot to add since we (me and the gf) will be moving to NYC is there places we can rent garage spots I know in sydney people place ads on street poles for garages for rent is it the same deal in NYC?

you might be better off living in jersey and taking the bus to work in nyc. I have done that in the past it work out great. Driving in the city sucks, Driving a lowered car sucks even more. Ive been to sydney and the car scene in NYC is nothing like it is in Sydney....

As for drifiting go to jersey. they have events the first week of every months and specialty events on the road course. Probably one of the better places to go for drifting on the east coast.

As for cops and inspections. NYC and Jersey still have emission standards that all cars need to pass. My 240 when it was stock didnt pass.( there are other methods for getting a sticker). As for cops ive been pulled over with straight pipes and alot of mods and never been hassled about the car.

obsolete
03-30-2011, 09:34 AM
do you plan to drive on a daily basis in nyc?

90hatchie
03-30-2011, 09:34 PM
you might be better off living in jersey and taking the bus to work in nyc. I have done that in the past it work out great. Driving in the city sucks, Driving a lowered car sucks even more. Ive been to sydney and the car scene in NYC is nothing like it is in Sydney....

As for drifiting go to jersey. they have events the first week of every months and specialty events on the road course. Probably one of the better places to go for drifting on the east coast.

As for cops and inspections. NYC and Jersey still have emission standards that all cars need to pass. My 240 when it was stock didnt pass.( there are other methods for getting a sticker). As for cops ive been pulled over with straight pipes and alot of mods and never been hassled about the car.

ny dropped emissions as of jan 1st 2011

Chrischeezer
03-30-2011, 10:48 PM
mmmhm.. just got an inspection the other day it was $10.00 safety inspection.

I would never subject my suspension to the roads in the city. they are completely terrible

danielle.rivers86
03-31-2011, 03:48 AM
Hey its a great news to get in a job in NYC, its really like a dream cum true, but before going in to buy a car have you made your living arrangements, coz to find an apartement that too in a city like NY, so instead of car first try in to get an apartment for yourself that will much wiser.

Condo for sale in Brooklyn (http://www.beatschermerhorn.com)
Park Slope Apartments (http://www.beatschermerhorn.com)
Brooklyn condos for sale (http://www.beatschermerhorn.com)

KidDynamite
03-31-2011, 09:46 PM
Hey its a great news to get in a job in NYC, its really like a dream cum true, but before going in to buy a car have you made your living arrangements, coz to find an apartement that too in a city like NY, so instead of car first try in to get an apartment for yourself that will much wiser.

Condo for sale in Brooklyn (http://www.beatschermerhorn.com)
Park Slope Apartments (http://www.beatschermerhorn.com)
Brooklyn condos for sale (http://www.beatschermerhorn.com)

Cheers man but i have my gf to thank about the job offer without her i wouldnt be considered lol and the company would get a appartment so thats not a worry just looking for car garages to rent thats all found a few in the city