200 ponies
RWD
CHEAP! $500-$700 kind of cheap.
Huge "WTF were you thinking" factor

Cons:
3500 or so pounds
rare in 5 speed
parts are tough to find?

Ok so one of my good friends wants to have a dirt cheap car we can pound into a canyon wall and not worry about denting up, so we came up with project cressida...

Anyone got any ideas on how to get this behemoth into the 2800 pound area? Ugly(but street legal) is an option, and we definetly don't care about resale values...

Anyone with any ideas on how to get some 8kg springs and dampers for this... Thing? Don't tell me that it isn't cheap....

I've tried looking around, but google didn't seem to have any answers, because I think people simply aren't crazy enough to do this...

720_datsun
09-19-2003, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by Maeda
Pros:
200 ponies
RWD
CHEAP! $500-$700 kind of cheap.
Huge "WTF were you thinking" factor

Cons:
3500 or so pounds
rare in 5 speed
parts are tough to find?

Ok so one of my good friends wants to have a dirt cheap car we can pound into a canyon wall and not worry about denting up, so we came up with project cressida...

Anyone got any ideas on how to get this behemoth into the 2800 pound area? Ugly(but street legal) is an option, and we definetly don't care about resale values...

Anyone with any ideas on how to get some 8kg springs and dampers for this... Thing? Don't tell me that it isn't cheap....

I've tried looking around, but google didn't seem to have any answers, because I think people simply are crazy enough to do this... look for chaser parts.

Maeda
09-19-2003, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by 720_datsun
look for chaser parts.

:rolleyes: I know that! but getting nice stuff that is worth 3x more then the car seems silly... although it is, in fact, the last and final option we'd resort to if we cant find a cheaper alternative for killing nasty body roll.

mrmephistopheles
09-19-2003, 07:04 AM
replace the springs & shocks with solid bars. strip the interior and everything off then engine that you can and still have it run. hack away at the wiring harnesses until you're left with nothing but headlights brakelights taillights turnsignals and engine controls. replace seat(s) with simple racing shells (aluminum, will require padding and harness(es). remove shift knob.
take your hood off and bolt a piece of spraypainted lexan there

sykikchimp
09-19-2003, 08:35 AM
hood? you don't need no stinking hood!

Check out Kirkey Seats.. $100 for a full race seat. :)

Dousan_PG
09-19-2003, 08:45 AM
haha
i almost did a big cressida drift project, but i love my s13 too much

simple explanation: you neeed some good connectinos to really get a cressida project going. markII, chaser and such parts work (depending on which year of cressida) ATS makes LSDs for it um..interior never found out what seat rails fit but im sure a MarkII or Chaser or Cresta might work..

tein makes suspension for it, but the spring rates i dont know enough what's 'stiff' for it.

good luck. and be ready to spends lots o money!

AKADriver
09-19-2003, 08:51 AM
For spring rates compare to the MA70 Supra guys. Similar weight and suspension design.

Maeda
09-19-2003, 12:30 PM
This is sounding feasable....

:D :D :D :D

jenne313
09-19-2003, 02:54 PM
I had a Cressida - for about two weeks. It was the car from hell, but boy did it get up an' go. Please PLEASE post pics of it smacked into the wall of a canyon. Yay PRO'JEK CRES'DUH

fogleroller
09-19-2003, 03:16 PM
awww man, I am interested in how this turns out.

Fastback180
09-19-2003, 03:38 PM
Okay, I don't know where you're finding Cressidas for $700-800. I've only found them at the lowest of $1000. But those ones usually are crap. Seems you got a few to choose from which is nice. It is very feasable to do this. You don't really need hookups. Hookups usually = more money that you could be spending on the car instead going to them for import taxes and crap. For instance, don't try and find people that can import the parts. Go straight to the source, ie. manufacturer. E-mail them, haggle them, tell them what you're doing, and even sometimes, act like you're from some renowned shop or magazine from america. I would like to hear your story, and see some pics along the way. I have been way into the chaser/cressida for a while, but never really wanted to ef' with em cause they're usually junk when you buy them, and I don't have the time and money to spend on 2 cars. But cool to hear...GOOD LUCK!

720_datsun
09-19-2003, 04:20 PM
yeah i was thinkin of doing a cressidia/chaser thing but **** just seemed too expensive for it. but if youur making progress for cheap let me know. cressidias are way cheaper then a 240.

coolerow
09-19-2003, 05:15 PM
you'll fly right off the cliff if you take a cressida up in the canyons.

tsunami0ne
09-19-2003, 05:45 PM
Okay, I don't know where you're finding Cressidas for $700-800. I've only found them at the lowest of $1000. But those ones usually are crap. Seems you got a few to choose from which is nice. It is very feasable to do this. You don't really need hookups. Hookups usually = more money that you could be spending on the car instead going to them for import taxes and crap. For instance, don't try and find people that can import the parts. Go straight to the source, ie. manufacturer. E-mail them, haggle them, tell them what you're doing, and even sometimes, act like you're from some renowned shop or magazine from america. I would like to hear your story, and see some pics along the way. I have been way into the chaser/cressida for a while, but never really wanted to ef' with em cause they're usually junk when you buy them, and I don't have the time and money to spend on 2 cars. But cool to hear...GOOD LUCK!

I should have ripped everyone off like everyone else is doing. I sold mine two years ago for $200.

But then again, my cousin drove that thing right over a curb :mad: :mad: Engine had 160k+ miles...

radhaz
09-19-2003, 08:49 PM
Maybe it's the domestic blood in me but just looking at your list of pro's and con's made me wonder if that could be applied to a 3rd gen camaro.

Pros:
200 ponies <- V8 305 or better is close
RWD <- cough cough
CHEAP! $500-$700 kind of cheap. <- its a 3rd gen camaro ffs
Huge "WTF were you thinking" factor <- I've seen two photo's of them at drift sessions so no its not so much a WTF but it will illicit a laugh or two im sure

Cons:
3500 or so pounds <-- 3300 basically
rare in 5 speed <-- manual is rarer than auto but it's not unheard of
parts are tough to find? <-- just the opposite for performance parts the exception would be streetable suspension as the market is primarily aimed at the drag strip

If you're going for a fun budget beater I'd put some money on a 3rd gen camaro/firebird (camaro's traditionally are cheaper).

Some tech data on the 3rd gen's can be had here. (http://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/techdb.shtml) Good luck with your project no matter what you choose.

Fastback180
09-19-2003, 10:06 PM
http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~jeepcj3b/CHASER1.JPG

DoriftoSlut
09-20-2003, 12:17 AM
I saw one of the 5 lug newer cressidas on the 405 today. It made me want: bolt on fender flares, transfer my R33 wheels, Kouki 180sx blacktop, Brix, and strip it, then get new suspension, ATS 2 way, and slam the focker about 2cm from the pavement. Meh. If I can I will. maybe after the Onevia project. After S chassis I'm thinking maybe FC, SC300, or Cressida. Cressida would be GOOD for insurance and what cop s going to look at it as being a "street racer" or "drifter"? Yea that rocks baby! What sucks is starting at Ground Zero as far as knowledge, tuning experience, driving manners, etc....:rolleyes:

fakts13
09-20-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by coolerow
you'll fly right off the cliff if you take a cressida up in the canyons.

not true, it doesn't really matter what car you take up, my buddy used to take out his stock camry up and had no problems w/ it... besides, cressidas are good platforms, just needs some suspension mods... no biggie