PDA

View Full Version : what do you guys think of the new rx-8?

Drift Style S14
09-18-2003, 01:28 PM
whats your guys oppion on this car? how do you think it would fair against a sr20det powered 240sx?

sykikchimp
09-18-2003, 01:38 PM
depends completely on the 240's state of tune..

RX-8 is cool. I got to play in one at the Mazda auto-x thing.

09-18-2003, 01:44 PM
i like the rx8. it looks like a fun car. i really want to go test drive one, but i'm just too lazy to do that.

sykikchimp, was it the mazda revitup? i was planning to go to one of those, but never got the chance to... dang... maybe i should've gone, haha. oh wellz. how's the rx8 like?

aznpoopy
09-18-2003, 01:55 PM
from what i heard the rx-8 was a real dissapointment, at least from a rotary enthusiasts perspective. its advertised at about 250 hp so figure 215 at the wheels. it dynoed at a lot less. i cant remember the exact numbers but people were saying a good 40 or so hp was missing. lots of theories flying around as to why on rx7club.com. detuned, 'unlearned' ecu, not enough miles yet, etc etc. there was a long thread on those forums discussing it. edit: mazda is buying back rx8's cuz of the hp problem.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2003-09-03-carbuyback_x.htm

edit:
ah look i was so nice (bored) so i dug up the threads for anyone out there.

http://www.rx7club.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=216791&highlight=rx8+dyno

http://www.rx7club.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=210417&perpage=25&highlight=rx8%20dyno&pagenumber=1

too bad... i heard the rx-8 was the test bed for a new rx-7. if a new rx-7 came i'd be all over that **** :drool:

SlideStar
09-18-2003, 03:11 PM
Have you guys seen the Mazdaspeed RX8 ?? :hitit: The body kit
makes it look sooooo much nicer. I heard too that people w/ RX7's
can swap out RX8 rotors for an extra 30hp .

RoNiN240sx
09-18-2003, 03:48 PM
yah the mazdaspeed RX-8 looks alot better, with the kit and all, dunno how much better it is performance wise tho. yah i've also heard that it's a big letdown, it looked/seemed real good before it came out, yet once it did, it just kind of faded, in the sense that i don't think it's gotten half as much attention as the Z, G35, and the other sports cars out.

BadMoJo
09-18-2003, 10:33 PM
I test drove one. I was very dissapointed by the car. It seemed pretty slow and yes i did rev it out to 9 grand... still felt slow to me. I thought it was going to be a cool little car but if i had a choice I would stick with my KA powered S14. :cool:

I still need to test drive a 350z or a G35 coupe. :boink:

Chernobyl
09-18-2003, 10:42 PM
My friend bought one, and sold it back to Mazda after all the HP bs. He has an STI now and is much much happier. It was a neat car though, we couldn't go anywhere in it without people crowding around it in parking lots. Although, IMO, its ugly as sin!

revat619
09-19-2003, 12:00 AM
I saw a mazdaspeed one today on the freeway, i wasnt impressed.

IMO, it looks like a fish.

Chernobyl, i second that. It is one ugly car!

FRpilot
09-19-2003, 12:16 AM
they look ok but not my style. i loved the older FDs though. but no company seems to make smaller looking sports cars anymore. everyone is making a big lookin sports car that looks european.

old_s13
09-19-2003, 12:27 AM
the only car that has a somewhat GOOD look nowadays is the Hyundai Tiburon.. it has an FD/S15-ish appearance with a hint of F360 on the rear shoulder.

Its a shame cars like the FD are no longer being built, now all we have is crap in the market..

Well, atleast the Z and G35 are nice cars, too bad most of the owners are clueless when it comes to modding. All I see are base-models with carbon fiber hoods and poor offset wheels (sigh)

japboy06
09-19-2003, 12:45 AM
well..im not sure if this is true..but if the RX-8 sells good...mazda will make a new RX7...umm yea...haha...maybe mazda should get some tips from nissan...they did a really good job with the silvia...hahaha

mrmephistopheles
09-19-2003, 01:05 AM
i'm moving this to OT since it's more about the 8 than the 240.

zenkiDori
09-19-2003, 01:45 AM
me gusta.

Pacman
09-19-2003, 09:48 PM
I think that the RX-8 is ugly. The RX-7 is a much better looking car and came with turbos.

Drift Style S14
09-20-2003, 02:27 PM
the tiberon suck the big one, that fat piece of fwd rice looks like the heaviest car ever built. i seriously don't see any FD/s15 in that car at all. All i see is a car built for the show car crowed. the rx-8 has a weird body style to it but the 50/50 weight dist. of that car is soo nice.

hondaguy
09-22-2003, 02:27 AM
i HEARD that it has no tq. what so ever, and i heard since the doors are backwards the struture of the car is not very sturdy, but if someone gave it to me free id take it.......and sell it lol

AKADriver
09-22-2003, 07:45 AM
The structure of the car is extremely stiff! Don't trust the armchair engineers. The B-pillar doesn't contribute so much rigidity that cars can't stand to lose them.

I'm very impressed with the RX-8. I haven't yet found a reason to dislike it.

FRpilot
09-22-2003, 08:51 AM
there is a new rx8 parked at my work everyday. i guess someone got it. it looks ok. the front really reminds of of a mclauren f1 but its still a 4 door car. i can't really consider it a sports car.

adey
09-22-2003, 07:46 PM
The RX8, from the right angles, is a FUGLY car!! I like the profile and some reare 3/4 shots, but I absolutely hate everything from the A-pillar forward, plus the taillights. The "muscular" front fenders look HORRIBLE (makes it look like a FWD drag car), and the lights (both head and tail) are FAR too S2000esque to be a good looking car on its own.

I like the suicide doors though, and the interior... it's the exterior that bothers me. I can't wait for the new RX7... I just pray that they can make it look anywhere near as good as the FD!

rewplayff
09-24-2003, 09:34 PM
is there really going to be a new rx-7? is there any proof of this. or is everyone kidding and i'm an idiot now.

Bill Roberts
09-24-2003, 10:17 PM
Mazda always has built good driving cars. Refinement in certain areas is not up to Toyota, Nissan, Honda...but close in some ways, off in others. I have a soft spot in my heart for Mazda brand (previous satisfyed owner of a 410K vehicle that performed, and even raced) but since Ford and Mazda are so hooked up (like Ford an Jag.)...the brand will always fall short as a factory car in some range or another. The car was originally Adv. at 250HP. It fell terribly short. They posted 247, then 237. Then they agreed to buy back RX8's for misrepresentation of the product and had close to 20%? takers on this (based on hearsay...probably inaccurate number, no fact to back that up)

The styling and ideas are good. the fit and finish is good. the sheet metal is "mazda 2 gauge thinner than it needs to be" , "they dent so damned easy" The price is not competitive with Nissans offerings for performance. Face it, for the same range, the Z350 Eats it azz, Eats the Boxter (on the track and price) SO Nissan has it going on..and more to come.

If Mazda was smart, they would figure out a way to do the 3 rotor engine with 335HP (N/A) and give a respectable gas milage. The rotory has always been a "GAS HOG" for the performance. Mazdas Sheet steel is way too thin. The car should enter at 21K to 24K and have a beefy "X" Class with another 400 lbs of protection, 125 more horses, entry level at 28 to 32K and refine the car to be a two seat sport, not a 2+2 extenda-cab style.

Ideally, A car quite like an S-15, sporting 360HP (N/A) with a 16/22MPG average in the 24 to 32K range is the ticket. It could be done. 3050LBS at 360HP...in a 2 seat + baby back seats....ja...that would get everyones attention in the true sport entry level. EVO's types are too small for me despite the Fire breathers they are.

Mazda may get good press from bad...eventually, it is not a world class performer for its price range......yet.

At least Mazda and Nissan are listening to the owners.

AKADriver
09-25-2003, 08:38 AM
What thin sheetmetal? My P5's been through hailstorms and it looks pristine. The structure and the skin are both as strong as any other car I've owned... much stronger than my S13, for that matter, which is disintegrating from rust and full of small dents.

The 350Z eats is ass until you notice that it's in a different class entirely due to lack of rear seat. If you factor in inflation the RX-8 (with the manual trans/sport package) costs the same as an S14 240SX SE, though. It's the closest thing to a 240SX sold here since it left the market in '98 - disappointing horsepower claims and all ;)

Why in hell would you want it to be HEAVIER?

By the way, there was never a claim of 250hp, only 250PS JIS Net which is equal to 247hp SAE Net.

TachyonS14
09-25-2003, 10:24 PM
Well, since I've test driven it I must say that it is an awesome car to drive! 9 grand comes up really good after around 6k when I think the other intake valve(s) open. I'm not a huge rotary buff, so don't hold me to that statement. Since it's a rotary, the engine rev's like there is no tomorrow (DAMN VALVES! :mad: ). Even with the false power claims from Mazda, that wouldn't stop me from getting one since I only care about how the car drives and not some stat sheet. The only problem I myself have with the RX8 is you have to keep a very close watch on the oil levels, the piss-poor gas mileage and that dang price tag :eek: :eek: Once you start adding on all the options, might as well buy a 350z for that price.

Also, I'd have to agree with BadMoJo in the fact I like driving my S14 KA better :D But, since my friend is getting one, I will be able to drive his RX8 all the time while still keeping my pride and joy.