PDA

View Full Version : Newb kid from Jersey, car doesnt run, full story.

240sxboy
02-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Hello, so i put a few posts up on 240forums.com and im looking for someone to actually take a little time to think and help me, what im really looking for is a nissan experianced mechanic in the Somerset Jersey area to actually look at my car but we'll see how that goes. So a few weeks ago I traded my running pretty nice altima for a 95 240. Horrible decision or good one? As of the timing, horrible decision, its winter and I dont have much money, as for the overall project, its great because I have dedication in this project and i'm willing to sacrifice everyday to have this car. When I say sacrifice, not only do i mean work alot and spend alot on it, but right now it hasnt ran and I take the bus everyday of my senior year. It absolutely sucks. So basically that was my sob story to try to get someone to help, spent enough time reading my unnessary paragraph, might as hell go for it now :] lol. So my name is Ricky and im 18, my uncle is a mechanic and being mechanical runs in my family. None of this helps with the fact that im still in HS, and i havent taken any mechanical classes what so ever. Everything ive learned is either from other people or from the internet. The FSM has taught me a great deal already. So i'll start to describe my first and major problem. First day I got the car, it started, it idled. Now it didnt idle good, it idled high to begin with and kept rasing rpms as seconds went by. Now when i say idled high, i mean idled high, start at 3k and raise to 5k, i know this is a problem but to me, I thought as long as i had the money, i could fix it. Next day I start it up, only turned. I replaced the spark plugs, only turned. I tried running it with ether to diagnose a fuel problem, got it started eventually but only by unplugging the MAF. Now it would start up and seem to hit a 2500rpm limiter, and it would stall not long after starting. I replaced the MAF, still no go. If i replaced the spark pugs, and it has the blue spark plug wires, i think NGK? and if im getting fuel(basing im getting fuel by it actually idling for a few seconds) then where could my problem be? I cant keep replacing things hoping it will be the problem, i want to have a reason, should I test certain parts with an ohm meter? There was only a few more ideas i had, could be the cap and rotor, could be the distributor? and is it possible loose grounds will make it not start, i was thinking since the rpms went so high it might have loosened possibly. My EGI fuse was blown and my starter signal fuse was blown. By the way, i changed the fuses with good ones and my dash lights decided to stay on, i had to unplug my battery so it wouldnt drain, what the helll? i got enough problems right now. i took out the ign relay and popped the plastic piece of the top to use a test light on it, is popping the plastic piece okay? Basically right now these arent the only problems, but of course i want it started before i go anywhere else, so I would really appreciate any time. Whether your commenting on here with a brief idea, extremely long idea, a phone # for a close guy who works on nissans, or if you are just a 240 owner who knows there stuff and wants to come by to help me look at it. Now when I say i have no money, thats at this moment, ill have money soon to work on it, even paying professionals. Anyways thanks for the time if you actually read my whole story, and i appreciate the feedback.

ZenKi_373
02-04-2011, 06:41 PM
longg ass novel. sounds like just a bunch of electrical issues. is the car converted from auto to manual?

mattsil80wis
02-05-2011, 06:44 AM
see if you have spark and fuel (pull one spark plug out and put it in the wire and ground it to metal and have someone crank the motor over and see if it sparks)

are the spark plugs covered in fuel?

use a multi meter to try and back track the electrical problems that your having

unplugging the maf will cause the 2500rpm limiter

a basic tune up would not be a bad idea (fuel filter, cap/rotor, spark plug wires)

just a few things i could think of off the top of my head

240sxboy
02-05-2011, 11:45 AM
haha I hate writing but venting about my car makes it easy, yup its converted to 5sp, thats another thing i didnt like about the situation, then again I was excited to have it converted already. Thats why i really want someone who knows what there looking at, its hard when the thing doesnt drive though. Im starting with the fuel pump then checking vacuum lines but in the whole process im checking all the harnesses to see if there functioning, i mean is it really gonna come down to putting the meter so every dam wire in the car lol. blowsss