PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for best stock looking exhaust

NissanEnthus
02-03-2011, 12:54 AM
Hey guys I'm looking to upgrade my exhaust on my kouki, but don't want an attention getting exhaust both looks wise or sound wise. Im trying to stick with the dual tip look. If anyone has a pre-made exhaust or custom setup like this let me and pics would be great.

RedSiBaron
02-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Import image is running a special right now on the megan racing type 2...for my s13 I was quoted 330 shipped, so id imagine it wouldn't be too much more...here's what it looks like for the s14, its what I want, and here's the link to their post

http://zilvia.net/f/intake-exhaust/359659-megan-racing-type-2-exhausts-back-stock.html

http://www.importimageracing.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/CBS-NS14T2-blacks14.gif

Kiro1968
02-03-2011, 09:40 AM
I thought there was a thread about this on the forum sometime ago. Oh well, if memory serves me right, HKS, RS*R, Blitz, Apexi all make a low decible street exhaust. They are all single tip though, I think Megan makes one that is twin tip. You should try searching or googling.

NissanEnthus
02-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Thanks for your response Kiro1968, but I want to get info first hand from people who own or have made their own exhaust. I can look at pre-made exhausts from all those sellers all day, but still I want a users input.

RedSIBaron, did you already order that exhaust?? Let me know how it sounds to you and some pics would be great. I saw that exhaust too and I know Megan makes other parts but I dont know too much about their exhausts??

nissanfreak317
02-03-2011, 10:59 AM
I have a custom made cat back with a magnaflow resonator and muffler on my s13. Looks pretty stock and sounds fine. I could try to get some pics for you, it's on my daily so it's not terribly performance oriented though.

dazed
02-03-2011, 11:00 AM
A'pexi Noir is your best bet. Single canister though.

Only aftermarket exhaust that I know of that is specifically designed to be low-key, yet have good flow at the same time. It's a full cat-back.

codyace
02-03-2011, 11:24 AM
I've got an RSR exmag on the car, black chambered muffler out back...car is super quiet and perfect. The subtle tip works well too...if you don't clean it it will not be polished long, and really blend in.

BRM also makes a nice quiet stock looking one: Brm | Car(s) Select Your Car (http://www.brmusa.com/240SX.htm)

NissanEnthus
02-03-2011, 11:26 AM
^^Yeah that is my ideal exhaust if I wanted a single canister (flat black is cool too)and will be my choice if I cant find other solution. I recently found a turbo that I'm planning to install, not looking for insane HP numbers, but I got cops hanging out near my neighborhood and my daily commute so I want the least attention possible.

AmirM24
02-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Definitely go with the Megan Type 2. I have it on my 300ZX (dual straight pipes along with dual tips.)

Kiro1968
02-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Thanks for your response Kiro1968, but I want to get info first hand from people who own or have made their own exhaust. I can look at pre-made exhausts from all those sellers all day, but still I want a users input.

RedSIBaron, did you already order that exhaust?? Let me know how it sounds to you and some pics would be great. I saw that exhaust too and I know Megan makes other parts but I dont know too much about their exhausts??

I know what you mean, there's more option now than few years ago. I'll be looking into a quiet cat-back system sometime down the road for my dd, I don't need another loud one since I have a HKS Ti-Carbon on my MKIV ^_^

rob22
02-03-2011, 05:04 PM
megan type 2.

lucas13dourado
02-04-2011, 12:03 AM
I have HKS Hi-power in mine, it has 1 resonator and the canister, while it doesn't look stock it is really quiet, but when you get on it it has a really good tone. (my car has a sr though).
my friend has the megan type 2 and its even quieter than mine. If you are looking for stock looking and quiet that's the way to go.

McSlides
02-05-2011, 04:55 PM
I had the Megan type II m on my kouki for a while and it sounds great and looked bone stock. Only problem is after a long time (a few years) the black paint comes off, and i had a broken exhaust hanger. Other than it was great.

NissanEnthus
02-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Anyone done a custom exhaust with universal mufflers? Like a Borla muffler?

teh smithers
02-07-2011, 08:20 AM
This a shameless plug, but I have a Blitz Realize TT exhaust for sale that might be what you're looking for. It's a single tip muffler, and it's polished, but it's very low key. 3in piping, but it's still really quiet. I've got pictures if you're interested.

BHack3tt
02-12-2011, 03:09 AM
A'pexi Noir is your best bet. Single canister though.

Only aftermarket exhaust that I know of that is specifically designed to be low-key, yet have good flow at the same time. It's a full cat-back.

have and love on my sr :bigok:

Felipe
02-12-2011, 03:32 AM
:yum: Megan Racing Type 2 Black

http://i2.frsimg.com/images/detailed_images/Megan_MR-CBS-NS13T2B_5.jpg

PITCH
02-12-2011, 03:48 AM
Ill give that megan a try with different tips.

hOngsterr
02-12-2011, 09:35 AM
the RSR exmag will really be quiet if your turbo, but on a ka like mine, its still deep and kinda up there but not loud. cops still bitch on how its stamped just say its a oem replacement.

but i love it still.

NissanEnthus
02-12-2011, 12:14 PM
the RSR exmag will really be quiet if your turbo, but on a ka like mine, its still deep and kinda up there but not loud. cops still bitch on how its stamped just say its a oem replacement.

but i love it still.

I got a KA as well, got a turbo that I will be installing in near future. Is yours turbo?

Kingtal0n
02-12-2011, 12:28 PM
lol I just use stock exhaust. Stock sr20 runs great with that!

jr_ss
02-13-2011, 09:22 AM
lol I just use stock exhaust. Stock sr20 runs great with that!

Yeah, but your putting excess strain on your turbo and motor. The JDM stock exhaust for the SR was bigger than the KA's here. I think the KA exhaust was like 1.875" in diameter, where the JDM was over 2".

Silvia716
02-13-2011, 03:34 PM
Dude just take your stock exhaust hollow it out and put some baffles in it to muffle the sound you'll get some extra power but sound and look stock that's what a buddy of mine did also I would recommend getting a test pipe

hOngsterr
02-13-2011, 04:19 PM
i be N/A, but i've heard other cars with the RSR with turbo and its preeeety quiet compared to the N/A

Kingtal0n
02-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Yeah, but your putting excess strain on your turbo and motor. The JDM stock exhaust for the SR was bigger than the KA's here. I think the KA exhaust was like 1.875" in diameter, where the JDM was over 2".

I have the JDM S14 exhaust from japan (OEM) and it is the same size as the KA exhaust system, it looks the same anyways.

There is no additional "strain" from having a smaller diameter exhaust system. the cam overlap profile and tiny ass T-25 turbocharger exhaust housing provides far more "strain" on the engine in terms of exhaust gas pressure. Its when you upgrade that tiny exhaust housing to something that flows more- and requires more flow downstream- that you start worrying about exhaust system diameter.

in which case you change everything out with the right size plumbing, and if you want stock exhaust STILL you just need to fabricate something up. I have a few ideas my (such as twin OEM mufflers) but nothing trial and error'd to the point where i would recommend doing it.

I have tried the megan "stock look" exhaust system. it suits its purpose for looks, but you can HEAR that it is not stock, and Im not really sure I like the way it sounds either.

korytirk
03-03-2011, 12:47 PM
gibson exhaust sound clips (http://www.gibsonexhaustdirect.com/) are proven to flow more percentage of gases than other type of pipes. They are also known to produce favorable and minimal sounds when the vehicle and so they become comfortable. This results in huge power gains in both horsepower and torque. Coupled with a profound belligerent sound that lets others know your truck is far from stock. The gash stern systems and twofold sport system increase the exhaust note a staggering minimal noise. This allowed you to still be legal in every state including California but toe the line of aggressive sounding systems.

NissanEnthus
03-03-2011, 01:43 PM
gibson exhaust sound clips (http://www.gibsonexhaustdirect.com/) are proven to flow more percentage of gases than other type of pipes. They are also known to produce favorable and minimal sounds when the vehicle and so they become comfortable. This results in huge power gains in both horsepower and torque. Coupled with a profound belligerent sound that lets others know your truck is far from stock. The gash stern systems and twofold sport system increase the exhaust note a staggering minimal noise. This allowed you to still be legal in every state including California but toe the line of aggressive sounding systems.

Sounds good but website does not list a 240SX, only truck/suv exhausts??

Leafy
03-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Best low key exhaust? Get some custom pipes bent up and use that new dynomaxx vt muffler, its quite when you want it to be quiet and loud when you mash the fun pedal. Paint it with black underbody coating and put a turn down on it with the same underbody coat on it. It'll look more stock than the stock exhaust.

xiaphin
03-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Apexi Dual N1... All im gonna say

Dro21
03-04-2011, 11:03 PM
stock exhaust with bigger piping?

NissanEnthus
03-05-2011, 06:49 AM
stock exhaust with bigger piping?

Really?...