PDA

View Full Version : Question about front end fitment

ph0en1x
01-26-2011, 04:57 PM
Hi, apologies in advance for being kinda nooby about all this stuff, This is the first car ive ever worked on, so its been a complete trial and error process with lots of trips back and forth to google and these forums to find out how to work stuff.

With that being said, i picked up an old s14 a few months back and have had lots of plans to fix it up. It looked like complete crap when i bought it, the front end was knock off zenki (certifit junk, whatever) and i scrapped it and started buying a kouki front end.

I went and picked up the hood and the 2 fenders for the start of my kouki conversion this weekend. 4 Hour trip to get them brand new OEM in the box, and about 7 hours back lol I took it home and started bolting it up, and am having some hell getting it done.

I started by mounting the hood to the hinges before i put it on the car, then secured down the hinges. I then took each fender and lined it up with the pillars, and made sure the bolt holes were lined up (which they were) and started bolting it down

Now the point im at is all 3 holes up top, and the 1 on the side that goes to the core support are lined up perfectly for both fenders, and i have them secured. The problem is that the 2 along the bottom of the car that bolt under the doors dont line up at all, and the one thats behind the door actually does.

Even with that aside, theres a large amount of gapping on the drivers side up top between the hood and the fender, the passenger side is fine up top. The drivers side lines up along the bottom with the edge of the door just fine, but the passenger side isnt even close. The hood on the passenger side also sinks down a little bit, not lining up smoothly with the fender right in the middle. This may have something to do with the fact that i dont have the rubber stoppers on the core support, im not sure

Pictures included show the fenders and hood from every angle i could think of. My worry is could it be that my frame is not straight anymore? I know the car had been in some accidents before i bought it, but the title was clean, and i didnt see any damages that couldnt be fixed. Would this be something easily just hammerable and smoothed down by a body shop or am i possibly screwed? Id like to know asap if i may have frame damage that isnt fixable (or if the cost of aligning this would be too much) so i can get rid of it, and start finding a new one

Pictures by 240partshouston - Photobucket (http://s1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb356/240partshouston/)

The pictures show from a lot of different angles. Any feedback is greatly appreciated

underground_army
01-26-2011, 07:18 PM
sorry but first better pics please.

davirene
01-27-2011, 12:19 AM
1. Step back and take a picture of the whole car.....yeh those pics show the gaps but its hard to tell.

2. Did you buy OEM fenders and hood? Aftermarket panels never line up perfectly, sometimes you have to do a lil modification.

3. How far are the holes off? Less then an inch? If so, you never tighten any thing down until you have all the bolts in. Otherwise they all wont line up.

Good luck.

ph0en1x
01-27-2011, 08:20 AM
yeah theyre all oem, and all the holes line up on top, but not on bottom, then vice versa

lenox_240
01-28-2011, 08:55 AM
you need better pics bro, and if the holes match on the top they should match on the bottom just like davirene said on his step 3. As far as damage from bfore you would be able 2 notice something big frame wise. GL.

bllabong89
01-28-2011, 10:12 AM
put up pics of the bottom two mounting holes on the fenders.

I like to mount the fenders first and then the front bumper and then the hood. Don't try to line the fenders up with the hood.

Get the fenders on with the bolts loose and then move on. Did you tighten the top 3 bolts on the fenders or did you leave them loose so you can move the fenders around?