PDA

View Full Version : Rust question

isimon91
01-18-2011, 10:23 AM
So I bought my 14 this fall, previous owner said it had some body rust but nothing too bad.

Took a look underneath the car, frame rails look perfect, absolutely no rust.

Front wheel wells have beginnings of rust. Now what I didnt notice is what the sideskirts were covering, which was a pretty good sized hole right where the door meets the fender.

The stock sideskirts are all pretty much cancered out from the front wheel well, to the rear wheel well.

Owner also cut the old quarter panels out, and put overs on. Found out that underneath the overs, I can see into the car, and can see the speakers (aftermarket speakers are installed in the rear seat space on the side panels).

Structurally, is this fixable? Or should I start with a new chassis.

I have a friend with an s13 with a giant hole in the frame rail, but we slide that car all day.

bllabong89
01-18-2011, 01:59 PM
It would surely help if you put up some pictures of the rusted area and the quarter panels. The entire quarter panel and rocker panel could be replaced if needed but it is costly. I believe Nissan quarter panels are around 4-500 if bought new but you could get some used ones from donor cars.

If the quarter panel is in the condition I'm thinking of, than they might have just cut out the bottom and never sealed it in which case someone with a metal working ability could fix it. The good thing about metal is it can be fixed in most situations.

Get pics and hopefully you can get some help from experienced body guys

isimon91
01-18-2011, 04:20 PM
think ill just have it patched up w/ metal and sealed. leavin the overs i guess.