PDA

View Full Version : whats wrong with my engine?

AmmoMan
01-14-2011, 05:01 PM
back in november i put a header on my car. the egr wouldnt line up so i didnt hook it up so its running open. then in december my buddy was driving behind me and noticed that when i take off from a stop there is a nice blue cloud from my exhaust. then yesterday i was able to see the blue cloud in my side view mirror, so it had gotten worse. then later yesterday afternoon i started my car and it was running really rough, like it wasnt running on all 4 cylinders. then today i had it idling and i started pulling sparkplug wires off, and i found out that the 3rd cylinder from the front wasnt firing. i changed the sparkplugs, nothing. i checked spark and its getting spark in that cylinder. i havent torn into it yet, but i want some ideas of what i should look for before i start tearing my car apart. i'm thinking maybe the injector is clogged, or worst case scenario, catastrophic damage to that cylinder. could the egr thing i mentioned have contributed to this? i am almost ready to just swap in an SR20 or something, so if anyone near oceanside CA has a full swap for sale, let me know. thanks

modulation
01-14-2011, 09:53 PM
1. egr has nothing to do with your problems.

2. Swap injectors between two cylinders to see if the problem follows the injector. Use Oil or vasoline to lube the o-rings up on the injectors before you insert them again or you'll tear the o-rings and shit won't run right until you get new ones.

3. If the problem doesn't follow the injector you might want to do a compression test.

AmmoMan
01-15-2011, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the advice, so if is the injector, will I have to buy a new one or would it be possible to clean it if its just clogged or is there a way to test if the injector is shot? Ohm test it, resistance = good injector, no resistance = bad injector, right?

modulation
01-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the advice, so if is the injector, will I have to buy a new one or would it be possible to clean it if its just clogged or is there a way to test if the injector is shot? Ohm test it, resistance = good injector, no resistance = bad injector, right?

As far as the ohm test, if it test bad then you know, but its possible for a injector be be faulty in other ways the ohm test can't pick up.

I would swap injectors with another cylinder, that's the only way to know FOR SURE.

You could send your injector to get fixed possibly depending on what is wrong with it, but the best solution would be to go to a junkyard and pull some out of a altima or any of the other nissan cars with red injectors. I think new they are like $200.

AmmoMan
01-15-2011, 05:47 PM
thanks for all the help. i ohm tested it, it tested bad. went to the salvage yard and found a crashed 240sx vert, pulled 3 of the injectors, came back, they all ohm tested good, so i put one in and now it runs like it should. i just threw the old injector away. a new injector at autozone is like $77.99 or something, i got mine for $5.95 a peice. not too shabby eh..

modulation
01-16-2011, 10:22 PM
thanks for all the help. i ohm tested it, it tested bad. went to the salvage yard and found a crashed 240sx vert, pulled 3 of the injectors, came back, they all ohm tested good, so i put one in and now it runs like it should. i just threw the old injector away. a new injector at autozone is like $77.99 or something, i got mine for $5.95 a peice. not too shabby eh..

Nice.. You da man.