PDA

View Full Version : camshaft follower help

reed1285
01-13-2011, 03:09 PM
ok i just recieved my cylinder head i got from a fellow member on here, everything looks great....EXCEPT, i guess sometime during shipping about half of the cup style camshaft follwers fell out. and i have no clue as to where/what valve each went to. ive read online how important it is for these to go back on the same ones they came off of. BUTTTTT...i am gonna be rebuilding my head using brian crower stage 2 cams. so since brand new aftermarket cams are goin in is it still important for these to go in the same spot? also i noticed that 6 of the cups have a little notch on the top of them. what is the purpose of that notch? below are pics of what im talking about...thanks for any help

TheRealSy90
01-13-2011, 03:23 PM
I think you mean your rocker guides and shims.

These: "shims"
http://i2.frsimg.com/images/detailed_images/Tomei_163004_05.jpg

And these: "guides"
http://i1.frsimg.com/images/detailed_images/Tomei_163004_02.jpg

It's pretty important that they go in the same place that they were in originally.

reed1285
01-13-2011, 03:28 PM
well what if i just ordered new shims and guides to go in with the new cams? no problems then?

TheRealSy90
01-13-2011, 03:31 PM
The shims and guides are specific to your head. Your basically going to have to measure your clearances and match the shims and guides to your measurements.

reed1285
01-13-2011, 03:36 PM
damn...i thought i could just order new lifters, shims, guides...etc and be done with it. especially since new aftermarket cams are goin in

reed1285
01-13-2011, 04:56 PM
so i guess all i can do is rebuild the head and just put the lifters in any which hole and get the cams torqued down and then check valve lash on all the valves? seeing as how there is different valve lash between the intake and exhaust side. i wouldve had to of done this anyway since im putting in aftermarket cams which will require other than stock valve lash...man rebuilding a head is a headache!

nismoman
01-13-2011, 08:25 PM
Sounds like you are talking about a KA, shim on bucket type head. If so just reshim the valves with the new cams

reed1285
01-14-2011, 06:47 AM
yeah sorry guess i shouldve gave more info...it is a ka24de head with the shim and bucket style lifters...the damn chilton manual calls them "cup style camshaft followers" i had never heard them called that before...but since this is my first ka head rebuild i was just like ok whatever.

nismoman
01-14-2011, 08:29 AM
Yeah as long as you shim properly you don't have to worry. You can reuse some of the shims. Just move them where they fit and replace as needed

VNG704
01-14-2011, 09:28 AM
Yeah as long as you shim properly you don't have to worry. You can reuse some of the shims. Just move them where they fit and replace as needed
basically, what he said ^. You can buy new or use your old ones. They just need to be even height so the rocker arm will sit evenly flat. iirc, you're okay if the difference between a shim and guide of the same rocker arm is +/- .002, but don't qoute me, research it. A quick google search yielded: HOW TO: Measure Valve Shim Heights (Pics) - SR20 Forum (http://www.sr20forum.com/technical-information-library/145625-how-measure-valve-shim-heights-pics.html) ...some help on measuring shims/guides. You can get shims from frsport, to name one store.