PDA

View Full Version : Not really getting any heat in the car!

Billiam151
01-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Hey there, I live in Ohio and I am not getting any heat in the car or much heat I should say. I have an 91 s13 hb with an sr20 swap in it. Bought the car with it so dont know much about it... still learning... thanks to these forums..

Any help would be awesome..

Thanks in advance..

Billiam

EDT007
01-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Check your thermostat..it might be stuck open.

DRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY
01-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Check your coolant level. And check the firewall were the intake manifold is. There should be 2 hoses that connect to your coolant lines.

nismoman
01-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Check your thermostat..it might be stuck open.

This^^ and see if you can tell if it's a nismo or low temp thermostat. These can cause the engine to run too cold

Billiam151
01-08-2011, 06:27 AM
well, I have not checked the thermostat yet, its a little cold here. But I think the engine is getting plenty hot just not getting any hot air into the car using the controls as far as the heater is concerned. I have checked the firewall and it looks like the two hoses are connected but will verify in the next day and will post back.

reed1285
01-08-2011, 12:03 PM
definately sounding like thermostat...hope its not a problem under the dash for your sake lol, good luck

Billiam151
01-10-2011, 11:40 PM
Well from what I can tell the two hoses are connected on the firewall. So it looks like it may be leaning towards the thermostat...not sure I am gonna mess with that right now in the temps we have currently...any other ideas?

nissanfreak317
01-12-2011, 12:17 PM
It cannot be your thermostat. Your engine cycles coolant through your heater core even when your thermostat is closed.

Is your blower coming on and actually pushing air out of the vents?

If it is then check coolant levels, then I would lean towards a clogged heater core.

nismoman
01-12-2011, 12:49 PM
It cannot be your thermostat. Your engine cycles coolant through your heater core even when your thermostat is closed.

Is your blower coming on and actually pushing air out of the vents?

If it is then check coolant levels, then I would lean towards a clogged heater core.

you are right and wrong.

even though the coolant circulates, if the engine never reaches temperature the coolant will not be hot enough to produce warm air inside

nissanfreak317
01-12-2011, 01:06 PM
you are right and wrong.

even though the coolant circulates, if the engine never reaches temperature the coolant will not be hot enough to produce warm air inside

Correct, I assumed that the only issue with the thermostat would be that it wasn't opening. If it is stuck open and the engine doesnt reach the correct temperature then there would be no heat. However, it would need to be fairly cold out. Also, it would show up on the temp gauge on the cluster.

OP, is your temp gauge working/reading normal?

ResistandRebuild
01-17-2011, 06:00 AM
like everyone else has said..i would check the thermostat to see if it needs replacing and if that doesn't solve the problem check your hoses that are routed from the block to the heater core (via firewall) make sure the hoses aren't dry rotted, clamps aren't loose or broken and make sure there are no crimps in the hoses. You could also take the hoses off and make sure there is nothing clogging them and the heater core inlet/outlet as well as the inlet/outlet on the block. Start your car and open your radiator cap until the engine reaches normal running temp. Sometimes air can become trapped in the heater core not allowing warm air to enter. I rerouted my heater hoses during the summer thinking it would eliminate a leak (ended up being turbo lines). This left my heater core inlet and outlet exposed. I don't really know why/how you would have trapped air without exposed in/out but I would try every option before investing in new parts. If it ain't "broke" don't fix it. Just a reminder, if you do decide to remove the hoses make sure the engine is cool and you have coolant to add. I would also recommend doing this in a place you don't mind getting coolant everywhere. Or a catch pan will work just as well.

DA KAOS
02-16-2011, 06:49 AM
I had the same issue with my Hatch. It ended up being that the heater core was cloged. But I didn't have to replace it to make it produce heat again. I just bought one of those cheap back flushing kits at a parts store. I flushed it twice and it restored the heat. I would recommend trying it if you don't want to take apart anything.

lucas13dourado
02-16-2011, 08:14 PM
why is everyone telling him to check the thermostat if he said the engine is getting up to temp???

I think the engine is getting plenty hot just not getting any hot air into the car

if the car is getting up to operating temperature and staying there on city streets and on the freeway than he probably has a problem with the heater core or something.

OP you need to check and see if the little valve is moving when you move from hot to cold and vice versa; its a little flapper on the coolant lines in the bay that people previously stated here.

good luck