PDA

View Full Version : S14: Car stalls during right turns.

all show no go
01-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Hi guys. I have a question about my car stalling during turns, but only in

the right direction. Everything is still on (just as if the car stalled in gear)

lights, radio, everything is cool. Another peculiar event is while drifting the

car through left handed corners the car performs awesome, as soon as you

initiate into a right handed corner the car calls it quits as soon as the car

starts to swing out. The power steering cuts out, & the engine stops

running.

Any Ideas? It's almost as like the car refuses to make brisk right turns or

drift counter clock wise. My car is a 96 S14 with an un-modded original

motor.

Thanks fellas.

S13loverdrift1
01-08-2011, 05:30 AM
Idk but maybe the fuel is not being baffled does this happen on full tanks as well or are you always running on low because I know well at least on s13's the fuel pick up is on the right side but s14's may be different so if you make a right turn all the fuel goes to the left and left turn all the fuel goes towards the pickup.

pacotaco345
01-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Idk but maybe the fuel is not being baffled does this happen on full tanks as well or are you always running on low because I know well at least on s13's the fuel pick up is on the right side but s14's may be different so if you make a right turn all the fuel goes to the left and left turn all the fuel goes towards the pickup.

That wouldn't make sense because there would still be enough fuel in the lines to run for a good 30 seconds or so, check to see if your harness is rubbing

modulation
01-08-2011, 04:40 PM
That wouldn't make sense because there would still be enough fuel in the lines to run for a good 30 seconds or so, check to see if your harness is rubbing

I agree on checking the harness on top of the drivers side wheel. . Also make sure that a engine ground isn't coming loose like at the back of the engine. I had a problem similar to this, and the wire was slowly breaking off the metal screw post because my engine mounts were bad.

XxHybridx
01-09-2011, 12:59 PM
nah he was on half a tank when they were testing out the problem.
i think his wire harness is tucked as well :/.
hmm the engine ground is a good idea.

all show no go
01-11-2011, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.. I'm pretty sure it's a faulty fuel pump now because the car gives up at random even driving straight. Will bump again after that is switched out. :love:

Jdoleo
05-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.. I'm pretty sure it's a faulty fuel pump now because the car gives up at random even driving straight. Will bump again after that is switched out. :love:

Hi, new to the forum, just bought about 3 weeks ago a 95 240sx. It is completely stock as far as engine goes but it does have some suspension mods and 18x9F and 18x9.5R wheels. It will be used as a "daily" driver/weekend racer. Went to the track today and experience the same problem. It is a Kart track so it is tight great for SOLO racing, in the current set up we have a 110 deg and a 180 deg right handers that I take on 2nd gear at about 2.5K rpm. With the car loaded and with about 50% to 75% gas the car just stalls, hesitates while loaded on the left side but as soon as I unwind the wheel is clears up. If I go gently on the gas it does not stalls.

This problem is really strange and I will like to know if you found a solution to your problem as it is similar to mine. I will really check the car tomorrow and look for striped or grounded wires or cracked vacuum lines, but if you guys can point the way will be appreciated.

Thanks from Puerto Rico.

Mishkin_707
05-05-2011, 03:01 PM
@JDoleo, check your fuel filter

05-05-2011, 03:41 PM
DUH, check under your driverside fender.. bet your wire harness is rubbed into... GL taping it.

Jdoleo
05-07-2011, 07:55 PM
@JDoleo, check your fuel filter

Thanks for the reply!! On the first laps I did everything was perfect, my fuel level went below 1/4 tank after some laps, so there is a possibility that on the sloshing from side to side of fuel some dirt on that 16 year old tank was sucked and ended on the filter. Your reply makes a lot of sense. Will replace the filter ASAP and go from there!! Had not thought of that!:facepalm:

Jdoleo
05-07-2011, 08:05 PM
DUH, check under your driverside fender.. bet your wire harness is rubbed into... GL taping it.

Before posting I did a search on this forum and others and only here I found a similar problem, did not want to ask something that was answered a million times before so you guys wont yell at me. On that search I found that somebody made the same recommendation as you but on a different stall problem, so that was already cheeked and found no rubbing problems. Thanks for your reply!!

Jdoleo
05-07-2011, 08:20 PM
This is the new Love of my life by the way. Wanted one since 95 when I first lay eyes on one. Finally and after kids and the whole getting married stuff and a Honda Odyssey and some other non-fun modes of transportation I got myself one. Sorry if I'm off topic just wanted to share.

91s13ForMeeh
05-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Sounds to me like a power steering vacuum leak. I could be wrong but I think it's worth a try to check it out.

Project S13
05-10-2011, 04:52 PM
op have you found a solution to your problem

Jdoleo
06-01-2011, 07:06 PM
op have you found a solution to your problem

OK guys I think I finally got it.

After following all your directions the car still had the problem. The only thing left on that "to do" list was to replace the fuel pump, so I got a new one and proceed to install it. Being a new guy on 240's I downloaded the car service manual and with it at hand started the work.

Once I removed the plastic lock washer and lifted the assembly where the pump, sender unit and hoses connect the big plastic "buoy" and the pump came right out. Up until now nothing strange until I started the reassembly. The manual showed some brackets that hold the pump and sender unit in position that I was able to locate with a flashlight, it took some time but I was able to get the sender unit and pump on their brackets. Before they were not (and come to think of it I was hearing some noises from back there that I was not able to pinpoint).

Went out for a drive and some "spirited" driving on some on-ramps (you know the ones that go around to the right) and the problem is nowhere to be found, and my fuel gauge is super steady, before it danced around (which I attributed to the car being old), if fact I lost 1/4 tank of fuel!!!

So the real test will be on the track, will let you guys know,

Thanks a lot for the help, appreciated. Without it I will have never found the lose pump and sender unit.

tacotacotaco
06-01-2011, 07:18 PM
i had this exact problem it was because the fuel pump wasnt mounted on its bracket and was swooshing around in there. Should be done deal if you mounted it back and its in there solid.