PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else quit smoking...

Eyescream
09-08-2003, 08:42 PM
...only to realize that you can't concentrate anymore?

I've been not smoking (up until 1 cigarette this past weekend) since June. Did the patches, got a script for Wellbutrin and started taking it to calm me down. Everything.

School started back up a couple weeks ago, and since then I've been at a pretty much complete loss as far as my creative drive goes. I'm a graphic design student, but when i sit to do any kind of brainstorming or sketching or work in the software, it's like I get some sort of writer's block. I just can't concentrate anymore. My mind starts wandering and I start goofing off, reading email, etc; basically doing anything it can not to put work into the task at hand.

I quit smoking and started working out and lost like 30 pounds and I feel healthier now; but I can't afford to fail another class, I'll lose my grants.

Anybody else ever been in this situation?

SilviaDriver
09-08-2003, 08:58 PM
cant say i have personally. but i always hear stories from my friends. if he doestn smoke he cant sleep and cant concentrate.

jojothemonkey
09-10-2003, 07:45 PM
I am trying to quit smoking right now. I smoke to dang much and my chest hurts in the morning. It just the price of those patchs that kills me. I have tried to quit several times before but have been unsusecful. (how ever you spell the word)Finaly bought the patch on mon. I should have bought the 21mg patch cause I am still iritable. But hopefully I will be able to quit this time. How do the pills work? Mabey that is what I should try. As for my concentration it comes and goes.

Bill Roberts
09-11-2003, 08:58 AM
...One of my co workers got hypmotized. It worked for him.

What happenes when you stop smoking is you lose the ability to relax. It is mind over matter. You have to condition yourself when you get the urge to just let go...put your mind at ease and the urges dissapate.

Easier said than done.

I want to quit. It is expensive, it is an addiction and it is deadly. With all that admittance in mind, it is simple as sucking it up, commiting to doing it, and going forward. Can be an easy thing, or the hardest thing in your life. It depends on will power.

the 14th, Sunday, I hope to have my last cigarette.

It is only up to me. Nothing else makes that decision but me. You want something bad enough...you get it.

Dousan_PG
09-11-2003, 08:59 AM
i quit after 1 year a smoker because i couldnt afford it

haha..it was pretty easy to quit. cant buy it.

Eyescream
09-11-2003, 02:41 PM
I mean, I quit smoking okay. Three months now without and all that. Like Bill said, I can't just go outside and light up and relax when I get frustrated anymore, and the realization that I can't just makes it all worse.

I've had to just make myself do it when I'm doing something that requires concentration or focus; but it's a conscious effort.

Fastback180
09-11-2003, 03:41 PM
C'mon....Light one up for old time sake...
http://www.barockhaus.co.jp/pic17/29silvia13b.jpg
:bow:

S13Grl
09-11-2003, 06:18 PM
I quit back when West and I got married and pregnant earlier this year. Mark's quit with me, but he still smokes socially and sometimes when he's drinking. A pack can last him a month and more, and I think that's awesome. It takes a lot of dedication. I didn't have a hard time quitting the moment I took the pregnancy test because, well... I don't know. It just doesn't feel right to do it, it's kinda dirty and makes you feel guilty and other bad stuff. If you really wanna quit, get pregnant. Worked for me ;).

Eyescream
09-11-2003, 06:51 PM
I smoked a cigarette the other day before my illustration class.

Came home and walked two miles as punishment. :) By the time I was done, I really hated myself. :D

240Degrees
09-11-2003, 06:55 PM
i smoke like once a week at most. I know that's nothing, but I smoke hard-to-find cigarettes that are kinda expensive ($7 a pack and I only know of 2 places in San Diego that sells them) and they are really light. Yep so that's how I keep in check. It gets super expensive

Bill Roberts
09-11-2003, 09:19 PM
I hated Cigarettes. they Killed my Mother. I saw her suffer for 8 years and she was buried in Jan 2002. I did not smoke until I moved to Paris France for a 6 month contract that I started on clove cigarettes that smelled and tasted like strawberrys and that was my facorite food...even now, they gave me a legal "buzz" I was 31, only smoked grass and would not smoke a cig. Once I got back to the USA, I gained 40 pounds, craving something..did no realize what...jus always "hungry" I ate serios lasana every night and did the all you can eats. I got pretty fat...like 210LBS...

I was in Panama City beach during spring break in 91 and some French chics had the strawberry cloves...I said, may I? And my hunger pains were all over and I did a 3 month spring break (did not feel like going home, doing stage work and entertaining...and just partying my a$$ off) and when the season died down,. I decided that it was time to go home and get back to the routine and I had to buy some Doral menthol Light 100's to keep me from getting fat. I lost 50 LBS partying and looked good, felt good and was good..I cringed at the fact of eating like a horse...so the smokes curbd my appitite.

13 years later, still smoking...but only a pack a day of lites. Time to quit this schnitt and right away...but this huge hurricane bearing down...I will at least have some smokes with me just in case.

Sorry so long.

AutoDestruct
09-11-2003, 09:45 PM
Yeah stimulaints definietly curb the appetite. A drugs, a drug, a drug. . . :D Later y'all.

aznpoopy
09-12-2003, 01:33 PM
i used to smoke back when i was heavy into clubbing. i guess i was a social smoker. everytime we hit bars and clubs, i would start chain smoking. crazy days... i especially liked smoking while under the influence of alcohol, among some other stuffs :boink:

but those days are over. i quit all of that **** and got my life together. when i stopped everything else, i stopped smoking naturally. whenever i smell a cig or a clove *drool* i feel a really strong urge to smoke. so far i haven't given in. i think it wasn't as bad for me because i was conditioned to smoke only in certain situations.

btw if i feel a crazy strong urge to smoke, usually chugging a bottle of coke makes me feel better. if that doesn't work, chug another. its either the caffeine or the gas *burp*.

russian
09-14-2003, 12:21 AM
um i quit smoking cigs like 2 months ago. cold turkey, im disgusted by them now. i can do lots more now easier, i work out for 2 hours a day so smoking became a hassle. still smoke weed tho :)

i dont undestand about concentration, this shouldnt affect it. just be more physically active, not neccessery 2 hours a day like me lol, but you can per se, run for 20-30 min or burn out at the gym. actually physical activities have a lot to do with you general concentration, you dont get distracted as much, not saying about being in better shape and health . :doh:

have you ever thought you might have ADD (attention deficit disorder)? im not tryinnng to insult you in any way, many people have that. stress from not smoking might have triggered it. :aw:

Eyescream
09-14-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by russian
i dont undestand about concentration, this shouldnt affect it. just be more physically active, not neccessery 2 hours a day like me lol, but you can per se, run for 20-30 min or burn out at the gym. actually physical activities have a lot to do with you general concentration, you dont get distracted as much, not saying about being in better shape and health . :doh:

I do work out. I take two martial arts and lift weights and walk about 2 miles a day. Less now since my classes started up again, but as much as I can fit into a day.

Originally posted by russian
have you ever thought you might have ADD (attention deficit disorder)? im not tryinnng to insult you in any way, many people have that. stress from not smoking might have triggered it. :aw:

That's very possible, but it seems that if I were to go in and say "I think maybe I have some sort of attention disorder, could you check me out?" They'd look at me and say "Yes, absolutely you do, it's very common." without really checking me for anything, because doctors use it as sort of a catch-all for every problem anybody has for concentration or kids getting in trouble at school and whatnot.

Still and all, I might get that looked at.

russian
09-14-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Eyescream

That's very possible, but it seems that if I were to go in and say "I think maybe I have some sort of attention disorder, could you check me out?" They'd look at me and say "Yes, absolutely you do, it's very common." without really checking me for anything, because doctors use it as sort of a catch-all for every problem anybody has for concentration or kids getting in trouble at school and whatnot.

Still and all, I might get that looked at.

they will probably prescribe REdelin, will help alot. btw, for people with no add it will be like coke.:eek: ;)

jojothemonkey
09-14-2003, 02:02 PM
Bill good luck with quiting. I am still trying to use the patch, it works for the most part, but the damn things wont stay on! and it is pissing me off!!! I am on my second patch today cause the other one fell off. I should go to a doctor and try the pills. As for my concentation it goes when I get a super strong urge for a smoke, then I loose it and become super iritable like last week when I broke my portable cd play cause it kept skipping on cd that didnt even have scratch that made me realy mad. But I think that what also helps is just keeping busy and some candy like jolly ranchers around. That helps out a bunch when I want a smoke. Well good luck everyone!

09-16-2003, 08:14 AM
i used to smoke too, i quit last january 2003. never had a stick since then.. and i hang out with chain smokers. doesn't bother me at all.. if anything i think it stinks!