PDA

View Full Version : Real or not? I say no

SRSiL80
09-06-2003, 10:42 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6392&item=2431498482

I recently stumbled across this auction for a 1998 ER34 Skyline on ebay while browsing thru "cars I will never be able to afford but like to drool over". Anyways I'm sure you noticed I put 1998 with R34... wait a '98 is a 33 isn't it? :thats what I thought too: Next note the ER34 :confused: again. Perhaps Early-R34 to signify it's 1998 release? :shrugs:

If you haven't clicked the link yet do so now and inspect it thoroughly then read on.. or just read on but it helps to see what I'm rambling on about ;)

Okay so you've looked this over and no doubt you're saying "What the hell?" or "HAHAHAHAHA" or "huh?". My thoughts exactly. Now I don't pretend to know everything about Skylines but I definately know more than alot of my friends (accounting for the fact they're into hondas and i am not), and one thing I do believe is that is not an R34.

First off I go straight to the most obvious of things. The engine. By now you've looked at this picture of the engine bay and if you know anything about SKylines you are saying "what the f*** is that thing?" or if you don't know alot you are probably saying "I have never seen an RB that looks like that before." I thought both these actually. To this very second I still do not know what that engine is but to me it looks like a V shaped engine as the cover over top is extremely wide and definately doesn't look like any RB20, 25, or 26 I've ever seen.

Next is the Body. Pretty nice look except for the hood. It doesn't match up. Why? Has it been wrecked and the seller is not telling us this? Or possibly (more probable as I continue my investigation) it is a kit car. I move onto the front bumper. While in an R34esque style it does not look to me like a stock bumper. Finally the wheels, I tried to zoom in, crop, sharpen, but to no avail could I determine the lug pattern. From a glance they look sort of like an SE-R or Spec V (whichever has the 6 spoke wheels i think it was the SE-Rs :shrugs:) or some sort of Nissan. Definately not the look of stock R34s wheels.

Lastly I end with the interior. Now I know the GTRs had a little tv screen that displayed all that fun stuff like boost, oil pressure, throttle positioning, and G forces, but I do not know if the GTSs had that or not. I do not believe either had the 3 pod gauges that are in this car though. Here is a picture of an R33 (the best i could find of interior 3rd pic down) http://motorex.net/r33_natespg.html . From the look of that it doesn't look like an R33 had it either. One car I do know has a 3 pod gauge like that is the Fairlady Z but I can't remember if the older 300s had it I know the new ones do and some of the older datsuns had em. Now obviously the gauges could be aftermarket but if all 34s had the computer whats the point in puttin those over it?

What I'm getting out of this is not to flame the seller for their obvious incorrections to labeling an R34 but to say that if you're going to sell a car and front it like its the actual thing please sell the actual thing. If you're going to sell a kit car please say it's a kit car (and not charge $30,000 for it). That's just wrong to sell it like that especially if the buyer has no clue it isn't an actual R34. That's just false advertising. :-/

mrmephistopheles
09-06-2003, 11:31 PM
Note to you:
Not all R34s are GT-Rs.
That is a REAL R34 (ER34 = GTS iirc). It has an RB25DET with Neo VVL (i think). The reason you don't recognize the motor is because there's a design cover on it to make the engine more appealing to non-gearheads.
The wheels and bodykit are aftermarket, and it just looks like the hood is popped.
So, anyway, it is a real R34. It is NOT worth $30k (imho).

720_datsun
09-07-2003, 01:03 AM
i dont know why does not look smooth at all. looks real crappy. but then again thats just me.

boro240
09-07-2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by mrmephistopheles
Note to you:
Not all R34s are GT-Rs.
That is a REAL R34 (ER34 = GTS iirc). It has an RB25DET with Neo VVL (i think). The reason you don't recognize the motor is because there's a design cover on it to make the engine more appealing to non-gearheads.
The wheels and bodykit are aftermarket, and it just looks like the hood is popped.
So, anyway, it is a real R34. It is NOT worth $30k (imho). :stupid:

also, i guarantee you that its not legal.

AKADriver
09-07-2003, 02:32 AM
Yep, that's an ER34 25GT-t. One thing though, the body kit and wheels aren't really aftermarket. The body kit is "stock" nismo, just like you can get nismo aero as an option on the current Skyline sedan (aka Infiniti G35). Probably a dealer option in Japan, here in the US on the G35 it's port-installed. The wheels are just standard stock for the 25GT-t... 17"x7.5" I think.

Look at pictures of Nomuken's R34 sedan, he has that same plastic cover plate on his engine.

Lots of not-100%-legally-imported JDM cars in Florida. I'd be suspicious, especially since the pictures were taken in Japan. I would not bid on this car unless I was able to see pictures of it on US soil and a US title.

adey
09-07-2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by mrmephistopheles
Note to you:
Not all R34s are GT-Rs.
So, anyway, it is a real R34. It is NOT worth $30k (imho). :D :o PWN3D!!!!! hahaha... good call, mrm. Damn n00bs think they know everything about skylines. :axe: :)
As for '98 ... I believe they were introduced, as cars in the US are, in '98 as MY'99 cars.
re: chassis codes:
Are all non-GTR chasses "ER34", "ECR33" and "HCR32", or is that only for turbo (GTS-T/GT-25T/GT-T) models? ... in other words, I mean to ask if non-turbo Skylines had a different chassis code from RB20DET/RB25DET skylines.

Considering it's mostly stock (only thing worth any money is the nismo optional aero kit... if it's real), this car is most certainly not worth 30k! I imagine it would sell, in Japan, in the region of 15 or 20k at MOST due to various ridiculous taxes and fees that are tagged onto second hand and relatively older vehicles that are being re-sold. (AFAIK)

russian
09-07-2003, 11:34 AM
" Location: Flordia
United States /Miami "

:eek: :eek: hahahaha FLORDIA wtf :D um but it um not real alright. aside the fact i doubt that its registered so offroad only.

the dude has a feedback of 1. 30,000 for a legal Sky with such mileage? yea.... suuuuuure. kinda shady.:bs:

zero.counter
09-07-2003, 07:38 PM
Yeah, it look crazily like a skyline. The engine is an rb25det shrouded like Mr.Meph said. Still, I would check it before buying it.

elevator
09-07-2003, 11:20 PM
That is a totally sweet car. The hood is not latched. The R34 is my favorite Skyline. There are several LEGAL Skylines in the US. They aint cheap but they are out there. Florida does have the most I believe. I heard that some guy just shipped several into the state. A friend of mine here just got an R33 and he was talking about a fellow in the Miami area just making a bunch available. Nissan isn't doing it though.

aznpoopy
09-08-2003, 11:03 AM
no way. i was under the impression that the only true importer and legalizer of skylines in the US was motorex. plus, did u check out this guys website? speed53.com. looks like a 5 year old put it together.

motorex's site:
http://www.skylinegtr.com/

freshalloy.com article about motorex: http://www.freshalloy.com/interviews/motorex/motorex.html

also i heard some things about rbmotoring.com. they have a nice webiste; don't know too much about them though.

:edit:
btw if you really want a skyline make it happen. they're not totally out of your reach. there are people in the US with street legal skylines.

gts 23k
http://www.skylinegtr.com/32white_gt-s.html

OneJZ
09-08-2003, 11:40 AM
this should answer it. http://wing.zero.ad.jp/kamano/R34-Engine.html

AKADriver
09-08-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by aznpoopy
no way. i was under the impression that the only true importer and legalizer of skylines in the US was motorex.

You would be correct. These cars available in Florida are not completely legal. This has been gone over and over...

Chassis codes: turbo or not doesn't matter (just like an SR20DE Silvia Q's or SR20DET Silvia K's are both PS13) but displacement does, as well as the drivetrain (AWD or RWD). AWD adds an 'N' to the code. RB20 is 'H', RB25 is 'E', RB26 is 'B'. Sometimes a 'C' appears, I'm not sure to what it refers... possibly HICAS? But the R32 and R34 GT-R both have HICAS and are just BNR32 and BNR34 respectively (the R33 GT-R is BCNR33).

elevator
09-09-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by aznpoopy
no way. i was under the impression that the only true importer and legalizer of skylines in the US was motorex. plus, did u check out this guys website?
Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't that be a monopoly? ...and isn't a monopoly illegal?
Originally posted by AKADriver
These cars available in Florida are not completely legal.
How can you be so sure? Have you SEEN the cars? Have you SEEN the paperwork WITH the cars?

...just wondering...

Dousan_PG
09-09-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by gladhatter
Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't that be a monopoly? ...and isn't a monopoly illegal?

no they aernt monopoly
any company can do it, but for all the work and research required, few can afford it/take the time. it took motorex a long time.

Dousan_PG
09-09-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by gladhatter
How can you be so sure? Have you SEEN the cars? Have you SEEN the paperwork WITH the cars?

...just wondering...

its not. its funny business. i knoww some companies that do it in california too. vin swapping and so forth. tehre are loopholes you can do but its more work. i know a fwe people who used the loophole, but there are certain cars u can and cant do it with.

russian
09-09-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by dousan36
no they aernt monopoly
any company can do it, but for all the work and research required, few can afford it/take the time. it took motorex a long time.

in this case its oligopoly then.

DoriftoSlut
09-10-2003, 10:28 AM
I kinda feel bad for the original poster, but I think its hillarious how he took like 3 weeks to write that whole reply and then gets totally annihilated by Mr Meph, AKA, and Adriel. Haha. :Owned: