PDA

View Full Version : sooo thinking about picking up a bike.

gusisboosted
12-27-2010, 12:34 AM
I think its time.

I been wanting to do this for a long time, and now i just really wanna scratch the itch, plus with gas prices soaring again, it would be cool to have a bike to ride to school/work instead of my gas guzzling cars.

So i know alot of people here ride bikes all day, so i was hoping to get some recomendations as far as what bike would be good to start off with.

Iv'e heard alot of people saying 600cc are suicide to start with :nono:, and many others saying that they regret starting on smaller bikes, since its pretty easy to catch on :blah:

So just thought i'd ask for opinions before i go out and buy a bike...

Also... any one wanna give me lessons? :wavey:

keep in mind I have pretty much zero experience with bikes, other than quads and a few hours on dirt bikes.

superbike81
12-27-2010, 12:47 AM
Yes, commuting, posing, and cruising the strip are all very easy to "catch on" to. But I guarantee you that 99% of those people who have told you a 600 is too small can't ride one to it's limits.

I am in the camp that says modern 600's are too much for a beginner. However, I'm not delusional, I realize that if you want a good looking bike, you pretty much have to get a 600 or above, just because most of the smaller bikes aren't very good looking.

Your best bet is going to be to take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's (MSF) beginners course. In my home state it was $100, but you got an insurance discount if you took it. In other states it is free, I'm not sure about your state though. It's a 3 day course that takes you through all of the basics and simple emergency maneuvers.

Would you consider a Suzuki SV650? Or are you looking more in the GSXR/ZX/R6/etc type bikes? I only suggest the SV650 because it's a half-naked bike, which means when you drop it the first time at a stop sign or red light or parking lot, it won't damage plastic that costs hundreds to fix usually. It's also a small V-Twin so it's got a smooth, noob friendly powerband.

Be sure you include riding gear in with your purchase, don't be a squid who wears nothing but a wife beater and shorts. Get a good quality full face helmet, a nice armored leather jacket, riding boots, and gloves, at a minimum.

gusisboosted
12-27-2010, 12:53 AM
Yeah i been getting mixxed reactions about the modern 600cc bikes.

I actually prefer the naked bike look.

Whole reason iv'e been wanting to get into bikes was because of a friend's ducati monster.
and another Beull.

I ADORE the look of naked bikes...

ill look into that suzuki thanks.

superbike81
12-27-2010, 03:42 AM
Well, if you like the Monster, the 620 is supposed to be fairly beginner friendly.

TheWolf
12-27-2010, 05:43 AM
How to start riding a motorcycle.

"I want to ride a motorcycle but never have done so"

First goto a real motorcycle store and buy a helmet. Don't guesstimate your hat size and order one online. Get a nice one. Make sure it fits your head and cheeks snug. It should run you about $200-400. Don't get a helmet because it's got cool F22's... tribal dragons.. stealth bombers.. naked chicks.. flaming lions.. or whatever spiritual entity on it. Get one that fits, has good airflow and good visibility. Get a $50 helmet at walmart if you've got a $50 head. While there pickup a mesh jacket with armor. I recommend First Gear brand. This will run you another $150+. Get some gloves.

Make sure you have some heavy duty close toed shoes like boots.

Then take the MSF safety course. It's 3 days. You ride their motorcycles. Listen and understand.

Then after that is all over. You've got some seat time. 95% of riders will tell you to take $3k you've saved up and go get a used 600cc or less motorcycle and bang out 10k miles on it.
This is always countered by "I don't have 3k saved up". If you don't have the discipline to save 3k then you probably don't have the discipline to not get on the throttle every 5 seconds. Always buy your gear (helmet, jacket, shoes, pants, wet weather gear if you plan on riding in the rain) before you buy your bike. Never after. People will have $3500 saved up and buy a $3250 bike and then walk into the store going "I need a helmet, jacket, gloves for $250" and buy cheap shit that isn't safe or will last long. You definitely don't want to go the harbor freight of motorcycle safety gear route.

DO NOT, Goto the dealer, buy a new "x crotchrocket", helmet, and riding leathers from the suzuki store and get it all financed into the price. You'll be so upside down for life. Or worse, you'll drop it and be making payments on a busted bike.

Finally if you are buying a bike, and you're sitting on it. If you think to yourself "Do I look good on this bike?". Quit. Riding isn't about looking good or riding the coolest newest thing. If someone is riding a ducati, it's because they don't mind riding a 7/8th's scale motorcycle because they're under 5'10".

Taniguchi_Is_#1
12-27-2010, 09:24 AM
1989-1998? suzuki gs500e. easy to ride, cheap to maintain, good enough to last you a long while, not a ninja 500.

superbike81
12-27-2010, 10:11 AM
I'm 6'2" and I rode my Ducati 996 for thousands of miles touring around Europe, was comfortable enough (with the addition of a touring seat). Not exactly a Goldwing, but I never found height to be an issue.

Now if you are referring to the Monster 620, yes, it is a bit of a small bike, but so are most of the other beginner friendly bikes.

chiboy002
12-27-2010, 10:17 AM
tagging along thread, i don't want a sports bikes. Prefer older, naked, bikes like a ybr125 or something. Just good for cruising/daily works

SinGarage
12-27-2010, 10:20 AM
1.) MSF
2.) Good quality riding gear
3.) GS500 or SV650

I used to own an 07 GSXR1000, 03 SV1000, and GS500. Started with the GS500 then went with SV1000, then the GSXR. Even then the 1k was too much for the streets. Guys who really know how to ride can outride someone in a 1k. My ass would get handed to me by SV650 owners lol. Take the MSF and listen to older riders advice. Do not panic when you get into a situation cause once you do, thats when $h!t happens lol. Remember, there are no small "ooops" on a liter bike and keep it shiny side up.

BoostedCoupe
12-27-2010, 11:19 AM
just get any type of 600cc bike, i started riding a cbr 600rr for my first bike, and it wasnt hard, just make sure you respect the bike. Because 600cc can even get away from you realy quick. Just dont be dumb. Maybe ride a two stroke dirt bike and go therw the gears and get uset to the front end coming up it will help you control the 600 when it decides to hook up.

But either way just get a cbr 600rr or a gsxr600 or an r6. You wont be dissapointed in none of those. Dont get one of those beginer bikes they are a waiste of money, youll pay all that money for one. ride it for 3months and hate it and wish you would have a got a reall 600cc bike. So just start out on what you want.

silviaguy240
12-27-2010, 11:20 AM
you can start with a 600, hell even a 1000, you just gotta be carful. dont get ballsy to quick and hammer it. just take your time and progressively go faster/more spirited riding.

20 til 3
12-27-2010, 11:28 AM
I started with a 06 636(kawi) and it was a very easy bike to learn on... but yet very enjoyable to ride Ducati's are sick but way to expensive. but if you find a used one the chances are that they will be piped and modded because you rarely meet a ducati owner that hasnt put all the oem upgrade shit on

but i got out of the rocket scene and found me a 78 cb750-4 that i've been brining back to life(cafe racer)... but damn its getting expensive

theicecreamdan
12-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Don't start with any sport bike. I'd get more into it, but its all over the internet and most people have their minds made up anyways.

spooled240
12-27-2010, 11:40 AM
any thoughts on a 2000-ish R6?

heavenboundkevin
12-27-2010, 11:42 AM
when you want to go fast. take it to the track. or else... like my maddorifuto steering angle?
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/kevinjong1/5A27681F-1EC7-4C3F-8D57-7D67A49D-1.jpg
if i were to get another bike id probably get a vfr800. something i can go on road trips with. a DRZ400SM would also be nice. and then have a track bike. ahh wishful thinking.

gusisboosted
12-27-2010, 11:46 AM
I guess I shoulda also asked this.

How does a sport bike compare to a "normal" bike.
In the sense of sports car to "normal" car.
???????

Any way after reading all of this i think i might just stick to an older 600 bike since i would really hate to regret not getting one because i wanted to be safe and went with the smaller bike.

And believe me, im not trying to get into the bike scene to be popping wheelies and racing ferraris on the freeway.

Like i said pretty soon ill only have to worry about transporting myself to school and back for a few semesters so i see no point on driving my gaz guzzling cars and theres no way in hell im going to be driving a geo metro or a smart or any other micro car for good MPG.

So i think a bike is a good choice.

Just wanted to make sure i'd be making the right choice by sticking with a 600cc, or if any one has a different suggestion, maybe a non "sport" bike .

HyperTek
12-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Kawasaki ninja 250r is a awesome looking small bike go check it out.

thought about that as my first bike, i too would like to get into them. Then i have friends who right off the bat started out with 600s as their first bikes and they did fine. One of my friends who really wasnt into bikes until this trend around him blew up, bought his first bike brand new and did good, but he let one of his buddies ride it and he dropped it. But then i read some peoples input on a 250 and came to the conclusion that it might not be enough for me after a while. And then all your friends have 600s or 1000s kind of gets to yah.

Devius
12-27-2010, 12:01 PM
I started off on a 600. Ya it was kinda hard considering the bike just wanted to get up and go. But its just like driving a car. Just start off smooth and easy and your set. i drove my GSXR 600 for a couple years back and forth to school and work. and i probably only had to gas up like once a week. I loved it but the problem is. theres no car around u naturally. your out in the open and alot of people on the road (like here in louisiana) dont respect people on bikes, so they will tailgate, swear close to you, and so on. And all it takes is one spill and its game over. thats why i sold my bike. But all in all. If u respect the bike and not try to showboat and shit, watch where your going and be careful. you'll be fine

slider2828
12-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Don't forget, a lot of riders dump their bike within the first 6-9 months, so don't bother getting anything nice until later. Bikes are not cheap contrary to belief when you first get into it. Get some leathers, gloves, bike, helmet, boots, and stuff and eventually run you like 6 grand easy. These guys above got it all right, MSF is the way to go.

BoostedCoupe
12-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Don't forget, a lot of riders dump their bike within the first 6-9 months, so don't bother getting anything nice until later. Bikes are not cheap contrary to belief when you first get into it. Get some leathers, gloves, bike, helmet, boots, and stuff and eventually run you like 6 grand easy. These guys above got it all right, MSF is the way to go.
this is true, i droped my bike twice in the first 6months. By droping i mean dead stop letting it fall over, it was just careless mistakes. I wouldnt go as far as buying a brand new 10-11 600 or 1000. i would buy an atleast 5 year old bike or so. Something that you wont spend over 4grand on. because its going to get scratched. And if your buying it with your own money youll hate just haven it set in a garage when its cold or snowing outside.

heavenboundkevin
12-27-2010, 01:37 PM
And believe me, im not trying to get into the bike scene to be popping wheelies and racing ferraris on the freeway.

i said the same thing before i bought my bike. then both those events happened. famous last words....

chiboy002
12-27-2010, 01:53 PM
i said the same thing before i bought my bike. then both those events happened. famous last words....
hahaha did you at least win?
Thats why i want a slow, daily-able naked bike. Low cc's would be fine... then i'll swap. :0

I was looking a ducati monsters... omg

roboticnissan
12-27-2010, 02:07 PM
600cc are just fine. It's how you ride them. You would want a 500hp car for your first car if you had the choice right? It's how you drive it.

Take the riders course it helps a lot. And buy good gear.

I love motorcycles, and I hope you do too cuz plenty of people I know don't Nd end up leaving there brand new bike at home and let it rot.
You need to really like riding to use motorcycles for what they are.

I speak from experience, several of my friends bought a bike with me and I am the only one left riding.

BustedS13
12-27-2010, 02:31 PM
i'd like a cheap bike to take to the grocery store and/or around town, but never on the highway... bikes seem very deadly.

Wes_s13
12-27-2010, 03:34 PM
Bikes arent meant for everyone.. my best advice to you is, be extremely careful, always double look, you should be worrying about others hitting you rather than you falling. Trust the bike, trust yourself. The cc's of the bike is really irrelevent , any bike will go fast, pick up speed fast, others just go faster than others, just be easy on the throttle, dont waste your money on a bike under 600cc, youll regret it.

Gear is very important , gloves , jacket etc, I do own all that. But sometimes ill ride tshirt and shorts, u gotta be confident about yourself.

I started off with a 2001 yamaha R1 , 3months into riding i was hanging the whole first gear on one wheel, but thats just the type of person i am, pick up things fast. Yes, i almost killed myself a few times also.

Now i ride a 07 GSXR 600 , cuz im a fanboy of the look and i love taking chicks for rides. Thats just me, but i do miss the 1000cc , and yamahas ftw ! U cant tell me different.

Other than that, good luck on your search, and ride safely.

superbike81
12-27-2010, 05:09 PM
I always hear about people trying to save money by buying a motorcycle. Maybe some genuinely believe they will save money but I think most are trying to justify purchase of a "new toy" by saying it is going to be used for commuting.

When you add in all the extra costs associated with a motorcycle, it will most likely end up taking you 10 years to equal out the amount of gas money you will save.

$4000 for a decent used motorcycle
$1000 a year or so for a 19 year old's insurance
$400 a year for tires (these are cheap tires too)
$500-1000 for gear
$xxxx amount for maintaining, gas, damage repairs, etc

If you have one bad day and only carry liability insurance, your investment just went down the drain. People don't understand how easy it is to go down on a motorcycle, one small slick spot in a corner, one careless driver, etc, etc.

I rode my entire life, since 6 years old when my started me at the track, I stopped riding after I got married three years ago. I'm not trying to talk anyone out of riding, it's a great way to relieve stress, meet new friends, and it's just fun. But I'm just being realistic, don't think this is going to be a big money saving endeavor unless you plan to sell your car and only use the bike for any and all transportation. Even then, it will take a while until you actually start saving money.
So to save that $6500 or so in gas, it will take you quite a long time. Truth is, most new riders don't stick with it for long enough to see the savings.

If you want it as a toy that you will ride to work/school fine, go for it, but don't expect that this will be a money saving endeavor.

roboticnissan
12-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Bikes arent meant for everyone.. my best advice to you is, be extremely careful, always double look, you should be worrying about others hitting you rather than you falling. Trust the bike, trust yourself. The cc's of the bike is really irrelevent , any bike will go fast, pick up speed fast, others just go faster than others, just be easy on the throttle, dont waste your money on a bike under 600cc, youll regret it.

Gear is very important , gloves , jacket etc, I do own all that. But sometimes ill ride tshirt and shorts, u gotta be confident about yourself.

I started off with a 2001 yamaha R1 , 3months into riding i was hanging the whole first gear on one wheel, but thats just the type of person i am, pick up things fast. Yes, i almost killed myself a few times also.

Now i ride a 07 GSXR 600 , cuz im a fanboy of the look and i love taking chicks for rides. Thats just me, but i do miss the 1000cc , and yamahas ftw ! U cant tell me different.

Other than that, good luck on your search, and ride safely.

Plus a million.for this post. Best info by far.

2402NV
12-28-2010, 02:08 AM
It depends on the person you are and how deep into it you will get. Start with a 600 and have a blast. Once your tired of it and someone throws you the right offer, sell it and pick up a 1k if you wanna go faster.

supervenom
12-28-2010, 02:27 AM
Start out with a used 600-750.

Get your feet wet with something thats not too wild.

Once your ready to step it up.....

BUELL 1125R

Done.

travisty_
12-28-2010, 03:58 AM
The new ninja 250's get incredible gas mileage if you are just looking for a commuting bike, and are some of the best looking ninjas. Seems like a great bike to learn on.

http://www.indiaon2wheels.com/pics/2009-ninja-250r.jpg

Edit: Driving a liter bike is absolutely unnecessary. Most modern 600 race ready bikes are on par with 1000's aside from the top end being higher on the liter bike.

Other fantastic beginner bikes:
GS500(F)
SV650(S)

I know people that have started with GSXR600's and such and have been fine but I still feel that youll get the most out of a bike like the ones I mentioned opposed to just jumping on a 600RR or something else thats much more difficult for a novice to control.

superbike81
12-28-2010, 06:44 AM
It depends on the person you are and how deep into it you will get. Start with a 600 and have a blast. Once your tired of it and someone throws you the right offer, sell it and pick up a 1k if you wanna go faster.

Or keep the 600, and take the extra money you would spent buying a new bike, and invest in a track riding school. Then do a few open track days, and enjoy embarrassing the hell out of your friends on their super awesome literbikes by passing them where it matters, in the twisties.

Skills over power any day.

Besides, the pros who ride 600's are only about 3-4 seconds slower on average at any given track (estimating a 1:45 lap time for the 1000.)

Very very very very few riders will ever explore the true limits of a 600, and even less than that have the skill to get the most out of a 1000.

It was always fun riding through the twisty backroads in Italy with my friends on their GSX-R1000's and R1's while I brought out my little 2-stroke Aprilia RS250 and keeping right up with them and even passing them in the corners.

Cliff Notes:

Upgrade the rider, not the bike.

DUFFM4N
12-28-2010, 06:57 AM
I recently bought my first bike back in August...(600cc GSXR) so far I just use it for commuting to work. In my opinion, it doesnt matter what you start off with as far as size, its knowing your limits as a rider.

here's my bike

http://duffm4n.blogspot.com/2010/10/gsxr.html

FRpilot
12-28-2010, 11:22 AM
95% of riders will tell you to take $3k you've saved up and go get a used 600cc or less motorcycle and bang out 10k miles on it.
This is always countered by "I don't have 3k saved up". If you don't have the discipline to save 3k then you probably don't have the discipline to not get on the throttle every 5 seconds.

love this quote and discipline not only applies to motorcycles, but everything else you want to do in life.

very informative thread so far for beginners or people thinking about getting a bike.

Like i said pretty soon ill only have to worry about transporting myself to school and back for a few semesters so i see no point on driving my gaz guzzling cars and theres no way in hell im going to be driving a geo metro or a smart or any other micro car for good MPG.

I always hear about people trying to save money by buying a motorcycle. Maybe some genuinely believe they will save money but I think most are trying to justify purchase of a "new toy" by saying it is going to be used for commuting.

When you add in all the extra costs associated with a motorcycle, it will most likely end up taking you 10 years to equal out the amount of gas money you will save.

$500-1000 for gear

If you have one bad day and only carry liability insurance, your investment just went down the drain. People don't understand how easy it is to go down on a motorcycle, one small slick spot in a corner, one careless driver, etc, etc.
So to save that $6500 or so in gas, it will take you quite a long time. Truth is, most new riders don't stick with it for long enough to see the savings.

If you want it as a toy that you will ride to work/school fine, go for it, but don't expect that this will be a money saving endeavor.

this guy has a point.

i know a geo metro or smart car aren't cool cars and you would probably need the jaws of life to get you out if you get into an accident, but i would think those cars or any econobox car for that matter are still safer than a bike, more practical for commuting, and you could use it in rainy or snowy weather.

i know you want to take out 2 birds with 1 stone by buying a bike which is probably something you want, but also serves a purpose for commuting. it is the same reason i bought several 240sx many years ago when i was your age (i never regretted it, well maybe a little due to all the money i spent on it). after all, my 240sx really was a "toy" and same can be said about a bike.

the point that superbike81 is trying to make is that, the cost savings of buying a bike for commuting is so small that it will take years to recoup and really not beneficial in the long run.
if you really want a bike, just buy it because you want it. don't try to justify it with hopes of it saving you money because in the long run you will probably be disappointed that it really didn't save you money at all, but at least you got something you want that makes you happy.

theicecreamdan
12-28-2010, 11:53 AM

???????

Pretty similar but a lot more pronounced on a bike. Both are pretty bad at lowspeed stuff, parking lots, around town stuff. Go sit on a bunch of bikes at a dealer, then take the MSF class, then go sit on them some more and you might tell the difference.

In a car you stall, on a bike you drop it and there goes a bunch of value. Honestly I don't buy the "too much power" argument I think that part makes the bike things a little easier to use. But the concentration it takes to control a sport bike vs something more standard really takes away from concentration you could be using to learn how to ride in a traffic setting.

I spent a year riding a few different 250s before I got my RC51, for me I went a little too fast because if I had waited I think I would have realized that I didn't want a sport bike. I really want to get a dual sport but I'm sort of stuck, its not a bad bike to be stuck with though luckily.

Get something cheap and go ride it. If you actually want to ride then you WILL enjoy it, you'll save money (I actually made money on my first 2 bikes) and get everything anybody could want out of a first bike and you'll still be able to enjoy something that is ridiculously fast before you even know it.

$500-1000 for gear

From my experience those numbers apply perfectly to all the "sport" bikes.
If you want to save money drop the decent used motorcycle price to $1000
My girlfriend was 19 at the time, her insurance for a year was $300
My first good tires I spent $300
Gear is about right.
When you're approaching 60mpg and you do your own work you really can't compare it to most cars you'll pick up for less than $2000

Aki180sx
12-28-2010, 12:03 PM
[QUOTE=DUFFM4N;3800068]I recently bought my first bike back in August...(600cc GSXR) so far I just use it for commuting to work. In my opinion, it doesnt matter what you start off with as far as size, its knowing your limits as a rider.

Words of wisdom.

My first bike was a 08 CBR 600RR before that the fastest thing I had with two wheels was a mongoose and I have never had any issues.

WanganRunner
12-28-2010, 12:47 PM
The new 250's are a joy. I've owned two, highly recommended.

If you get "bored" with it, you're riding it in the wrong place. They're incredibly nimble and engaging, just not any fun on the highway, so stay off the highway.

I'm over sportbikes, honestly. I've had the most fun on old, cantankerous, obnoxious motorcycles. My 1960 Honda Super Cub is the most fun 2-wheeled vehicle I've ever owned.

At the moment, I'd like a Ural with a sidecar, but that probably won't happen for awhile:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4082/4767678949_66f802bc02_b.jpg

I could get a new Royal Enfield for about $4k or a little more, and you can do rad shit with them, but they're a little dodgy.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4116/4771890135_7aa9ae1a1b_b.jpg

gusisboosted
12-29-2010, 03:06 PM
Wow, thanks for all the advice guys.

I think imma just go for a 3-4 k older 600cc bike and get all the RIGHT gear.

Now just gotta wait for one of my cars to sell :).

superbike81
12-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Since you like naked bikes, look into the Yamaha FZ6. The powerband is fairly noob friendly, yet they've still got the power to out-accelerate almost every car on the road, and they are great for commuting. Check out one of the FZ6 forums, there are quite a few people who have well over 100,000 miles on them and they are still running strong. They are plentiful, can be had for cheap, parts are cheap, and if you get the modding bug, you can do some pretty cool stuff with them.

mkezzo16
12-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Ill give my opinion..DO NOT get a 250cc sportbike..Its a waste of money..and potentially dangerous..if you ride that thing on a windy day..youll get blown around like crazy
-Go with an older 600cc..05 zx6r..04/05 honda cbr600..(i started with a cbr600)thats plenty of power for a beginner and youll be satisfied for quite a while till u step up to a 1000cc..power saves lives..your gonna want some decent power to dodge these idiots on the road
-Difference between reg and sport bikes..weight..torque of a bike..gear ratio's..aerodynamics..
Tips: 1. get HIDS so u can see better
2. slip on exhaust (so people hear you comin)
3. Get better than DOT apprvd helmet
4. Unless your ballin n just want a 100% new bike..dont buy new sports bikes..worst investment unless its a collectors item..price drops insanely in 1-2 yrs..youll still be paying dwn 10k while people r buying it for 7k near new

JBao
12-29-2010, 04:36 PM
there are some retarded ass people on this forum. don't 'just get' a 600cc supersport bike because you feel that you'll grow out of a 250. at the same time, i'm not saying you should get a 250 either.

Credentials:
- i'm not an idiot
- i work in the motorcycle industry
- i actually ride...which is why i don't own an s-chassis anymore. cars are never the same.

get an sv650. i have one. i've ridden for years. it has a ton of torque where you want it. it has a steady power band. it's fun to ride. it's modern. it's light. it's forgiving.

sometimes going fast isn't what you need to worry about.... it's scuffing off that speed that you need to do and fast.

600cc bikes are fun bikes, but you'll be doing yourself a disservice by starting on one because all of your "performance" will come from the bike and not the rider. learn on a less powerful bike that won't get away from you when you put too much throttle down when you're trying to stop (yes, this happens). learn on something you don't mind dropping.

you mentioned you like naked bikes. I'd look in to: sv650, buells, bandits, gs500, small ducati monsters, etc.

in my experience, you'll have a lot more fun on a bike that you can stretch before it stretches you. for example, driving a miata well is far more rewarding than understeering a 500hp mustang all over the fucking track like a dickhead.

whitefedorafilms
12-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Zero experience... aye me, yeah a sport bike might kill you. but a 600cc doesnt have to be so bad. like a Kawasaki ZZR600 is a dog next to an CBR600RR. any 2 valve Ducati is gonna be torquey, and not that scary unless you gun it and power up a nice wheelie. hmmm, there are a lot of choices. i would reccomend a Honda NightHawk CB750. they are cheap reliable decently quick, 4 cylinder and quite modern.

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb416/Seth_Dendy/honda_cb750_front.jpg

whitefedorafilms
12-29-2010, 05:28 PM
The Ducati Monsters seat just got a lot better. it used to be only ridable for a short while, but then the seat got a redesign and taking it to school and work wouldnt be a problem. if you got an 05 or older the bikes are lower and good for the shorter of mankind. you can get one for less than 2k, if you know the right ppl, or find a good deal.

sw20>>s14
12-29-2010, 05:31 PM
there are some retarded ass people on this forum. don't 'just get' a 600cc supersport bike because you feel that you'll grow out of a 250. at the same time, i'm not saying you should get a 250 either.

Credentials:
- i'm not an idiot
- i actually ride...which is why i don't own an s-chassis anymore. cars are never the same.

get an sv650. i have one. i've ridden for years. it has a ton of torque where you want it. it has a steady power band. it's fun to ride. it's modern. it's light. it's forgiving.

sometimes going fast isn't what you need to worry about.... it's scuffing off that speed that you need to do and fast.

600cc bikes are fun bikes, but you'll be doing yourself a disservice by starting on one because all of your "performance" will come from the bike and not the rider. learn on a less powerful bike that won't get away from you when you put too much throttle down when you're trying to stop (yes, this happens). learn on something you don't mind dropping.

you mentioned you like naked bikes. I'd look in to: sv650, buells, bandits, gs500, small ducati monsters, etc.

in my experience, you'll have a lot more fun on a bike that you can stretch before it stretches you. for example, driving a miata well is far more rewarding than understeering a 500hp mustang all over the fucking track like a dickhead.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEERD...i wish i did dirt before i started street bikes...id have a lot fewer bad habits and be much faster (not that i have trouble with that anyway--har har har)...although unrealistic and less common for most, this is the correct path to follow (dirt/smaller bikes first)...

before you even narrow down what bike to get, here are the steps:

-buy an RF1000/1100
-buy a leather jacket
-buy a textile jacket
-buy some gauntlet style leather gloves
-buy smx plus boots
-avoid any icon gear like the plague
-done

now you may start looking for bikes :2f2f: i have a L black/black firstgear mesh-tex 3.0 jacket for sale if interested...ill hook it up too seeing as how youre freshly getting into it :bigok:

if you really are just trying to commute and have some fun at that, my vote goes for an F4i...

whitefedorafilms
12-29-2010, 05:31 PM

???????

the first thing that freaked me out about being on a Ducati Superbike vs a BMW touring bike is the feeling of my feet being behind me instead of under me, forcing me to lean forward it was sort of uneasy at first.

superbike81
12-29-2010, 05:48 PM
Just look at all of the fastest riders in the world. NONE of them started by riding a 600cc sportbike. They all started on 125cc two strokes or even 50cc two strokes. They had to work their way up because it's not even easy to ride a 125cc to it's limit.

But like I said, if you are just interested in getting a bike because it's "cool" and you are going to do nothing but cruise the strip and be a damn poser, then sure, get whatever the hell you want. But if you want to learn to RIDE, get something lower power (SV650!) and learn to ride the hell out of that thing. It's way more fun to pass your friends who think they know how to ride because they do 125mph+ on the straights and then slow down to barely moving in the corners.

So what do you want to be? A high performance rider? Or a poser/commuter? That should answer the question as to what kind of bike you want to get.

sw20>>s14
12-29-2010, 06:22 PM
dang, chill out...theres nothing wrong with people getting into riding just to commute or solely for the enjoyment and appreciation of riding...not everyone that gets a bike has to be a rossi or stoner in the making...

if OP wants to enjoy his commute more or put put around town while appreciating the thrill of riding, i say go for it...if joe wants to get a harley to cruise around town, or jack wants a sportbike to meet the "gang" at starbucks, does that make either of them posers? NO, because they enjoy riding, thats what its all about...theres nothing wrong with that as long as you do it properly and safely...

its laughable how high and mighty riders think of themselves now a days...its beyond me how new riders follow through with it now a days with so many "veterans" discouraging the shit out of them...if you dont sound like an idiot that wants to learn how to 12 on the highway or wants to know which bike makes girl gush more, live and let live, i say...

superbike81
12-30-2010, 04:38 AM
I didn't say there was anything wrong with being a poser and/or commuter. That is why I gave him two options.

If he has desire to get into track days, he should start with a lower power bike due to the learning curve. But if he's just going to commute back and forth to work/school and stand around at the local "bike nights" than he can pretty much get whatever he wants and it won't really matter for the most part.

But whatever he does.....MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF

whitefedorafilms
12-30-2010, 05:17 PM
i like riding old bikes, like my technician Barry's 04 Royal Enfield. it doesnt even have 30 horsepower but you know your giving it all its got so it makes it really fun, plus you cant ride it anywhere without striking a conversation.

TheWolf
12-31-2010, 05:24 AM
I'll comment on this. The last "expert bike" rider I knew that started off on a R1 "because he could handle it". Had the judgement to show off to the girls doing some wheelies in the parking lot before a college football game. The girls were eating it up hand over fist. They were lined up cheering him on. Shit you not like 75 drunk lil horney college hotties were cheering him on. They all came over and wanted to party with us. It was an awesome way to pick up chicks and he had the skills. Party went from "meh ok" to like "woah sorority central" in no time flat. After about 15 minutes of this, he was about to park it but they wanted one more. Two topless chicks wanted him to split them like goal posts. So he fired it up one last time "for the titties". He put the bike right between these two topless chicks. Seriously sweet. That why I always wanted to get a sportbike, ya know, cause you can't do this kinda stuff on a bmw cruiser. No girl really cares about your heated seat or your heated handgrips or how your gear drive rear end makes less noise and takes less maintenance. Oh look a 4 position adjustable windshield. Ya girls just want it to look like a race bike, make noise, and go fast so they can hold on tight. Needless while I was thinking about selling my bmw cruiser and getting a R1, expert rider, drove over a parking lot drain grate on one wheel. The drain rocked. The bike flew out from under him. He slid across the ground regretting leaving his riding jacked on his chair. At least he was wearing his helmet. That should help. Then he hit a curb. With his head/neck. After the helicopter arrived, the surgeons did their thing, he's now wearing a 4 point harness equipped power wheelchair so he doesn't fall out. Driving it around with the two fingers he can move on one hand. Sometimes he gets stuck in the front yard and his mom has to come out and help him. Yamaha credit repo'd the bike and decided not to sue him for the difference because he's now a paraplegic. How generous. He's made real strides though. After 3 years of physical therapy, he can move both his arms/hands again so he now drives a hand controlled full size conversion van.

True Story.

superbike81
01-02-2011, 02:50 PM
For every "I bought a (insert high performance sport bike here) for my first bike and I did fine!" story, there is a story like the one above too.

I've got two old riding buddies who are now in wheelchairs, and three who died. Only one of those accidents happened at the track, and they were all the guys that I grew up racing with. So doesn't matter if you are an expert rider or a noob, bad shit can happen.

The difference is, the more experience you have, the more relaxed you can remain and less mistakes you will make in emergency situations.

gzer750
01-02-2011, 06:06 PM
when i decided to get a bike in 03, i was lucky that a friend had a gsxr 6oo. we went to a kmart parking lot and i rode the bike for 5 mins, learned how to change gears. let me say shifting from 1st to 2nd was a lil tricky. i kept going into neautral, but after 5 mins i got the hang of it. next weekend i bought a brand new gsxr750. i drove the bike from inglewood to los angeles(30miles). i was so scared and excited. i will never forget the fear and joy i felt learning how to ride. like everyone said respect the bike, and be very carefull spilting lanes, and always judge people moves, because you are invisible to drives at times. i would say get a 600 suzuki, yamaha, honda, or kawi. do not get a 250 0r 500. go to gixxer.com look in the fourm section and look for the starting tread. that is the best place for newbie info. and last but not least woman love bikes. lol

gzer750
01-02-2011, 06:12 PM
one more thing, when u start riding in groups stay in the back, and learn all the hand signals. their are alot of hand signals that riders use when riding in groups/bike nights. u also stick your leg out if your going to move in a fellow riders space.

mrflip69
01-04-2011, 12:50 AM
I'll comment on this...

True Story.

Titties, you say? :naughtyd:

20 til 3
01-04-2011, 10:04 PM
get something unique

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/drfttruk/sick550.jpg

JBao
01-05-2011, 11:42 AM
go to gixxer.com look in the fourm section and look for the starting tread. that is the best place for newbie info. and last but not least woman love bikes. lol

are you retarded?

going to gixxer.com to learn about now to start riding is like going to zilvia.net to learn how to drive f1 cars.

yingiang
01-06-2011, 11:32 PM
buying a bike is like buying a happy meal but instead of a toy, you get to fall when you get a bike

hellakix
01-24-2011, 01:41 AM
Damn I miss riding my gixxer 1000, regret selling it still to this day.

Tops*
01-24-2011, 10:14 AM
Make sure you get yourself some nice riding pants, seriously. I can't emphasize this enough.

That probably wasn't too convincing, yeah? Well, even with low-speed lowsides, jeans/skin versus asphalt. Jeans will withstand 6 inches of sliding on asphalt. Just 6 inches and you're down to skin. Now skin, it takes half of that, 3 inches to slide through each layer of skin. You typically have 6-9 layers of skin before you're down to your bone. So, if you're riding in jeans, it'll take roughly 2 feet of sliding before you're grinding off your bone...

All of which can be prevented by a nice pair of riding pants. Make sure your ankles are covered too as they're very prone to taking a beating on any fall.

Whatever you're on, you need to give it the respect it demands. I started on a GSX-R600 K6 with absolutely zero riding experience. 600s are fine to start on.

STR8 H8N
01-24-2011, 11:28 AM
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff90/wizrichner/garage.jpg

OR

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/photogallerys/Can-Am-Spyder-07.jpg

live2c2morrow
01-24-2011, 11:50 AM
Im learning a lot. Thanks for the info guys!

Tulok
01-27-2011, 11:53 PM
Ill give my opinion..DO NOT get a 250cc sportbike..Its a waste of money..and potentially dangerous..if you ride that thing on a windy day..youll get blown around like crazy
-Go with an older 600cc..05 zx6r..04/05 honda cbr600..(i started with a cbr600)thats plenty of power for a beginner and youll be satisfied for quite a while till u step up to a 1000cc..power saves lives..your gonna want some decent power to dodge these idiots on the road
-Difference between reg and sport bikes..weight..torque of a bike..gear ratio's..aerodynamics..
Tips: 1. get HIDS so u can see better
2. slip on exhaust (so people hear you comin)
3. Get better than DOT apprvd helmet
4. Unless your ballin n just want a 100% new bike..dont buy new sports bikes..worst investment unless its a collectors item..price drops insanely in 1-2 yrs..youll still be paying dwn 10k while people r buying it for 7k near new
Idiot. You will not get blown around on a motorcycle of any size unless you are resting your weight on the bars, forcing yourself to countersteer! Not to mention a ninja 250 is only ~50 lbs lighter than a Supersport. It's been proven that louder exhausts don't help people see you. Hid's in a standard motorcycle light bucket will not help you see further at night.
Credentials:
- i'm not an idiot
get an sv650 or Ninja 500, FZ6, ducati monster 620, gs500 etc etc. i have one. i've ridden for years. it has a ton of torque where you want it. it has a steady power band. it's fun to ride. it's modern. it's light. it's forgiving.
Smart
Zero experience... aye me, yeah a sport bike might kill you. but a 600cc doesnt have to be so bad. like a Kawasaki ZZR600 is a dog next to an CBR600RR. NOT! any 2 valve Ducati is gonna be torquey, and not that scary unless you gun it and power up a nice wheelie. hmmm, there are a lot of choices. i would reccomend a Honda NightHawk CB750. they are cheap reliable decently quick, 4 cylinder and quite modern.
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb416/Seth_Dendy/honda_cb750_front.jpg
This is a fine beginner bike because it is slow, comfortable and droppable.
The other stuff, not that smart.
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEERD...i wish i did dirt before i started street bikes...id have a lot fewer bad habits and be much faster (not that i have trouble with that anyway--har har har)...although unrealistic and less common for most, this is the correct path to follow (dirt/smaller bikes first)...
before you even narrow down what bike to get, here are the steps:
-buy an RF1000/1100
-buy a leather jacket
-buy a textile jacket
-buy some gauntlet style leather gloves
-buy smx plus boots
-avoid any icon gear like the plague
-done
now you may start looking for bikes :2f2f: i have a L black/black firstgear mesh-tex 3.0 jacket for sale if interested...ill hook it up too seeing as how youre freshly getting into it :bigok:
if you really are just trying to commute and have some fun at that, my vote goes for an F4i...
Smart, almost. Dirt riding helps, but it's not the means to an end! and, an F4i is NOT a beginner bike. 0-60 in almost 2 seconds, it will wheelie by itself. etc etc, not good beginner bike traits!
For every "I bought a (insert high performance sport bike here) for my first bike and I did fine!" story, there is a story like the one above too.
I've got two old riding buddies who are now in wheelchairs, and three who died. Only one of those accidents happened at the track, and they were all the guys that I grew up racing with. So doesn't matter if you are an expert rider or a noob, bad shit can happen.
The difference is, the more experience you have, the more relaxed you can remain and less mistakes you will make in emergency situations.
Smart
when i decided to get a bike in 03, i was lucky that a friend had a gsxr 6oo. we went to a kmart parking lot and i rode the bike for 5 mins, learned how to change gears. let me say shifting from 1st to 2nd was a lil tricky. i kept going into neautral, but after 5 mins i got the hang of it. next weekend i bought a brand new gsxr750. i drove the bike from inglewood to los angeles(30miles). i was so scared and excited. i will never forget the fear and joy i felt learning how to ride. like everyone said respect the bike, and be very carefull spilting lanes, and always judge people moves, because you are invisible to drives at times. i would say get a 600 suzuki, yamaha, honda, or kawi. do not get a 250 0r 500. go to gixxer.com look in the fourm section and look for the starting tread. that is the best place for newbie info. and last but not least woman love bikes. lol
Real idiot here.
He had a hard time shifting from 1st to 2nd, suggests "respercting the bike" when you're scared of your brand new superbike, says to be careful SPILTING Lanes, and you're invisible to drives.
even if anything he said in there was true, it's pretty hard to comprehend!

You should really take the MSF Course, Get gear, and read more before you get a bike. Anything with over 70 horsepower is gonna be too fast.
A Monster 620 isn't a "600" like people throw around, it's actually a 400 class bike, because it is a V-Twin it has less peak horsepower. An SV650 is not a "600" like people throw around, it is a 400 class bike. Because it is a V-Twin and has less peak horsepower. A GS, EX, VF etc etc 500 is not even close to a "600" because they are designed with a budget, and are slower and easier to ride.
The difference between supersports and these other bikes is in horsepower, response and braking. It is easier to learn on something that isn't going to spit you off as easily!
Some inspiration:
sv650:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3150/2762977006_dcd0dbbdec.jpg

gusisboosted
04-01-2012, 02:10 AM
the second the e39 sells.. im picking up my sv650 naked body.

sooo many on craiglist for damn cheap.

Guys come one.. buy my e39.

ZenkiCam
04-02-2012, 11:06 AM
Man fuck it. Get what you want. You got all these couch riders here throwing around hearsay like "oh I heard not to get a 600 by a guy on SBN who is a supermod with 78395 posts so I'm gonna listen to him. He must be right!!!" My first bike was a 2003 r1 everyone had their doubts saying I was stupid and that i was gonna drop it blah blah blah cause redline9000 on the r1 forums said so. I am now hitting up the mountains as much as I can and I have learned the bike from tire to tire and yet to drop it. I'm sure there will be a day that it happens but it won't be out of inexperience like most people say. As you know a bike is only as fast as the rider on the seat its all in your hand. You can get killed on a 1000 just as fast as if you were riding a Honda ruckus. Its all a learning process and what you want. A level head will get you far in the motorcycle world. Keep that in mind and don't get too cocky cause its very easy to taste the fruit from the forbidden tree while you're on one.

gusisboosted
04-02-2012, 10:29 PM
im good on holding back.

Been daily driving some pretty gnarly cars in my life haha.

I am sure i will eventually get into the "competitive" side of bikes if i end up liking it enough, but for now im pretty sure a nice lil naked body sv will do the job....

Specially now with these high gas prices.. cant think of a better time to finally pick up a bike to daily

ZenkiCam
04-03-2012, 07:41 AM
This tulok guy is exactly the type of guy I'm talking about. Acting like what he says is the holy script and that you SHOULD listen to him. I hate people like that. Like I said get what you want. Its your money your life. Who am I or anyone else to try to protect you. Basically just take the MSF for sure, ride around in your neighborhood for about a week or two to get used to starting stopping turning practice doing circles slowspeed figure eights, or whatever. Reason I say only rode in your neighborhood for the first week or so is not because you're not ready for the street but because most accidents with a beginning rider happens at slow speeds or from start offs or stops. You can master those techniques in your neighborhood safely and still have a little fun in a safe environment. Hope you enjoy riding man! You'll love it!!!

And as far as liking it, you'll love it. At first I too was a "Nahh I'm just getting one to be economical " type person but you will not want to stop riding it. I put 2000 miles on mine in the first month of ownership I was on it literally every day for as long as I could be. The biker world is a whole different scene from the car scene and honestly if you're anything like me you won't even care about drifting or whatever else you used to do I get bored at drift events now haha I'd rather be up in the mountains carving up some twisties

240sxcure
04-03-2012, 09:21 AM
I think its time.

I been wanting to do this for a long time, and now i just really wanna scratch the itch, plus with gas prices soaring again, it would be cool to have a bike to ride to school/work instead of my gas guzzling cars.

So i know alot of people here ride bikes all day, so i was hoping to get some recomendations as far as what bike would be good to start off with.

Iv'e heard alot of people saying 600cc are suicide to start with :nono:, and many others saying that they regret starting on smaller bikes, since its pretty easy to catch on :blah:

So just thought i'd ask for opinions before i go out and buy a bike...

Also... any one wanna give me lessons? :wavey:

keep in mind I have pretty much zero experience with bikes, other than quads and a few hours on dirt bikes.

If you crunch the numbers it is cheaper, and safer to commute in a small high gas mileage car than a bike.

ZenkiCam
04-03-2012, 09:54 AM
Yea its definitely cheaper in a Geo metro or something like that buy you can't have as much fun in a Geo ;) you'll get about 130 miles before your gaslight comes on and that's on a 4.6 gallon tank. Most I've ever paid to fill up was around 15 bucks.

spooled240
04-03-2012, 12:27 PM
there are truths on both sides of the story. Some will start off on a 600 and do fine and some should start on a 250 or something more forgiving. Let's face it, some people are more coordinated and have more body control to ride a motorcycle, while others are not.

I rode dirtbikes in my youth and took the MSF course which is a great class but was a review for me for the most part.

I started out on an old 95 Yamaha FZR600 I got for 300 bucks which was pretty fast.
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6020/6019973791_f4d967caf0_z.jpg
2 months later i opted for a low mileage 06 R6s and believe it or not it was easier to ride in my opinion even though the physical riding posture is more extreme (handlebars lower and closer). The bike is way lighter and nimble.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7058/6913924759_05bbf7451c_z.jpg

If you have good self control there's no right or wrong bike to start off with in my opinion. You'll begin to learn that the bike is not the thing you're afraid of, it's OTHER DRIVERS

ZenkiCam
04-03-2012, 12:38 PM
That's an r6s? Looks more like an r6r???

spooled240
04-03-2012, 12:52 PM
nah r6r's have inverted front forks w/ radial-mounted calipers and different fairings, refractor headlights blah blah blah

!Zar!
04-03-2012, 02:11 PM
03-04 r6 is exactly the same as an 06+ R6s is exactly the same as the 03/04.

The 05 r6s is only different due to its inverted front forks and radial mounted brakes.

As for why sportbikes aren't optimal, they lack torque, the throttle is touchier, the riding geometry isn't optimal for commuting, and the gas mileage isn't as great as something a little more subdued.

Most people want to try and get a motorcycle to look all sick like and then try to rationalize it.

The ONLY people that will make fun of you for riding a 250 are squids and non riders.

Have you seen the CBR 250rr? It is SOOOOO awesome.

It is sad when the summer comes, because almost every day there is a RIP thread for some rider that decided to ride a bike outside of their limits.

Keep in mind it isn't a question of if you will crash, but when you will crash.

A majority of bike accidents are slow speed. A huge majority of bike accidents are solo and the riders fault.

ZenkiCam
04-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Yea I know what an r6s is just from that angle the tail section looked like an r6r

Look up the old cbr250rr inline 4 250cc 19000rpm redline such a badass bike!

fyneyoungstunna
04-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Im in the same boat as the OP.
What makes the difference to me is that I'm 6'6 and 270lbs. I have been asking around on some other bike forums, but it seems the consensus is that for "comfort" i might be stuck with a tourer or motard?
Id like to graduate to an R6 one day, but it seems the smaller bikes are gonna be just to small. I do however like the CBR 250rr that Zar posted. (btw wheres my sticker Zar ?)
I have rider courses litterally a mile away from my front door, so I go down and watch a lot. Ill be taking the course next month!

Pinggg
04-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Keep in mind it isn't a question of if you will crash, but when you will crash.

For me it's either you been down or going down, simple as that.

bb4_96
04-03-2012, 03:04 PM
^people love throwing out ignorant statements like that. Everybody riding has been down or will go down. Ride as stupid or conservatively as you like... either way your shit is going down. Thats why it is completely impossible to find a bike made in 2003 still on the road. Because every single one of them has been destroyed in an accident. Surely noone or their bike shall survive ten years of riding.

spooled240
04-03-2012, 03:29 PM
^i don't understand, are you agreeing with the statement or not?
you have to ride like everyone is out to kill you, keep your distance and expect the worse.

Yea I know what an r6s is just from that angle the tail section looked like an r6r

Look up the old cbr250rr inline 4 250cc 19000rpm redline such a badass bike!

yeah i have the shorty exhaust which looks like the r6r exhaust which kinda throw people off

!Zar!
04-03-2012, 04:20 PM
The cool thing about most good learner bikes is their resale value is high. So you can purchase a 250r or a sv650 and easily sell it for the same price (possibly more) than you bought it for.

Honda VFR's are AWESOME. Though in reality I would suggest leaning on a beater then graduating to something 'nicer'.
http://krang.sportrider.com/bikes/146-0502-st-06-2.jpg

Pinggg
04-03-2012, 07:05 PM
^people love throwing out ignorant statements like that. Everybody riding has been down or will go down. Ride as stupid or conservatively as you like... either way your shit is going down. Thats why it is completely impossible to find a bike made in 2003 still on the road. Because every single one of them has been destroyed in an accident. Surely noone or their bike shall survive ten years of riding.

- You pretty much stated the same thing i did in the 2nd sentence.

^i don't understand, are you agreeing with the statement or not?

- i was wondering the same..

ZenkiCam
04-04-2012, 10:00 AM

You're a moron. Completely impossible to find a bike made in 2003 on the road? That's funny. My 2003 R1 has 26000 miles and is in mint condition . To the guy that said he's 6'6 270lbs. I'm sorry but a 250 is not going to be the bike for you. With you on it that thing wouldnt pull a greasy string out of a hogs ass. With your size it would actually be more dangerous riding a 250. Cause if you gotta get on the gas real quick to avoid a wreck it ain't gonna go anywhere.. ex500 or something along those lines would be a better option

gusisboosted
04-06-2012, 11:14 PM
my mind set on an sv650.

I will have one as soon as the e39 sells..
so many cheap naked bodied svs in my area its not even funny.