PDA

View Full Version : Heater problems

jacobs13
12-19-2010, 04:40 PM
I know this may have been covered but I have searched quite a bit and couldnt find much, anyways my heater doesnt work and I dont know if it used to because I have only had the car for a week. When i slide it over to heat i dont hear anything or see anything move when the dash is off. Sometimes I can smell coolant so that makes me think heater core? Any help will be appreciated.

Sileighty_85
12-19-2010, 06:25 PM
What year & Chassis?

jacobs13
12-19-2010, 07:01 PM
sorry about that its a 95 se with a ka

Sileighty_85
12-19-2010, 07:33 PM
Only thing that comes to mind is the Heater bypass valve.
If you look at the firewall where two coolant hoses run to (on the intake side of the engine)

You will see a plastic valve with a cable going to it.
make sure the cable is connected and see if moves at all when you adjust the temp

jacobs13
12-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Ive looked at that, I didnt know it was supposed to move when I set it to heat, but I tried to do it by hand. Ill look into it more. But before i put my dash back, could the heater core be a culprit?

obsolete
12-19-2010, 07:39 PM
maybe blend door motor, by the gas pedal

jacobs13
12-19-2010, 07:45 PM
maybe blend door motor, by the gas pedal

how would I test that? And wouldnt I still get heat if that were broken? Doesnt that just adjust temps?

obsolete
12-19-2010, 08:09 PM
if it's stuck on cold then you wouldn't get heat. i'm assuming your blower works?

to test it, locate the motor, turn car on, slide temp lever from one cold to hot and see if the motor works

jacobs13
12-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Ok ill check the blend door motor, everything else works. It blows air and all the controls work just no heat

jacobs13
12-20-2010, 07:26 PM
alright so I drove the car around today for about 15 minute and when I parked it the lower radiatot hose and the the heater hoses were all cold and soft, I know that means thermostat but shouldnt coolant still go through the heater hose? Also the engine always ran at a perfect temp but with a closed thermostat?

obsolete
12-21-2010, 06:24 AM
drive it longer. coolant won't go through to the lower hose if the thermostat hasn't opened yet. did you check the blend door motor yet?

jacobs13
12-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Ok I checked the blend motor and its good, it moves when i change from hot to cold. I also changed my thermostat, so now the bottom line gets pressurized but the heater lines going to the firewall do no get hot. Anyone have any ideas?

jacobs13
12-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Anyone got any ideas? Heater core clogged? Any would be appreciated im freezing my ass off haha

s14canyoncity
01-06-2011, 12:15 AM
thought about starting my own thread until i found your. I have the same issue.

Water Pump -replaced
Thermostat-replaced

*running a DCC
*no clutch fan (using electric now)

i was thinking the same that it's was the flap on the heater hose along the firewall but still no luck. I know its not the Air mix door motor cause i replace that already (waste of time and money my old was still good). I've already check all my wiring for the DCC and all is working properly and no codes in diag mode. I've checked all the doors and they all open properly and accordingly with each mode and temp change.

same with my car the heater hose on the firewall does not get hot what so ever.

thinking about doing a radiator flush and removing both hose for the heater and running a water hose to it see what comes out.

so for whoever has any idea what the fuck is wrong with our car answer the question below please, cause thats the next thing im gonna try.

1. is it safe to even stick a hose to the heater hose against the firewall with running water to flush the heater core?

wbarrett48473
01-06-2011, 02:41 AM
^^^^^
I'm in the same situation... S14 with DCC and no heat.
I first made sure that the motor underneith the dash next to the gas pedal moved when the temperature was changed from cold to hot.

Then I followed this cable from the firwall to the heater hose valve and noticed it wasn't hook up.

After hooking the cable up and watching it move the valve, the hose leading into the firewall gets hot, but the hose leading out does not. Not sure if it was hooked up correctly I took the cable off and manual turned the valve full clockwise and waited for heat - Nothing, so I turned it full counter-clockwise with no results, and finaly I turned it in between the two with nadda.

I left the car running for almost 30mins and the operating temperature was at normal but no heat - only cool air.

I'm guessing I need a new heater core.

s14canyoncity
01-06-2011, 03:29 AM
^^^^^
I'm in the same situation... S14 with DCC and no heat.
I first made sure that the motor underneith the dash next to the gas pedal moved when the temperature was changed from cold to hot.

Then I followed this cable from the firwall to the heater hose valve and noticed it wasn't hook up.

After hooking the cable up and watching it move the valve, the hose leading into the firewall gets hot, but the hose leading out does not. Not sure if it was hooked up correctly I took the cable off and manual turned the valve full clockwise and waited for heat - Nothing, so I turned it full counter-clockwise with no results, and finaly I turned it in between the two with nadda.

I left the car running for almost 30mins and the operating temperature was at normal but no heat - only cool air.

I'm guessing I need a new heater core.

yeah i dont know both of the hose on mine doesn't even get hot . im hoping it's not the heater core cause i don't really want to take my dash apart again. i'll let you know what happens when i try to flush the core with (hose/running water).

nippon240
01-14-2011, 11:35 AM
thought about starting my own thread until i found your. I have the same issue.

Water Pump -replaced
Thermostat-replaced

*running a DCC
*no clutch fan (using electric now)

i was thinking the same that it's was the flap on the heater hose along the firewall but still no luck. I know its not the Air mix door motor cause i replace that already (waste of time and money my old was still good). I've already check all my wiring for the DCC and all is working properly and no codes in diag mode. I've checked all the doors and they all open properly and accordingly with each mode and temp change.

same with my car the heater hose on the firewall does not get hot what so ever.

thinking about doing a radiator flush and removing both hose for the heater and running a water hose to it see what comes out.

so for whoever has any idea what the fuck is wrong with our car answer the question below please, cause thats the next thing im gonna try.

1. is it safe to even stick a hose to the heater hose against the firewall with running water to flush the heater core?

How to Flush a Heater Core | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/how_4827976_flush-heater-core.html)