PDA

View Full Version : s13 right rear brake caliper repeatedly going bad

TriniTT
12-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Hey all, I have an s13 240sx, and my rr caliper keeps going bad. Here's the story.

I recently did a full 5-lug swap. The right rear wheel bearing was bad, so I replaced it with a good one. Not long after, I realized that caliper had begun to leak. I kept adding fluid until I could find a good used caliper. It got worse quickly, so I replaced it with a known good working one. A few days later, this one began to leak and got worse quickly as well. I quit using my ebrake when I parked, and just kept it in gear.

I found another good used one, and threw it in thinking maybe the second was just a fluke. I started using my ebrake again after it seemed like this one was good for a few days. Now it's begun to leak as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why the caliper seal keeps going bad? Could the spindle be bent from the bad wheel bearing? The pads are good, and the rotor was brand new as well when I did the 5-lug swap. There isn't any strange noise or anything, just the seal repeatedly going bad.

I'm out of ideas here. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jonnie

modulation
12-17-2010, 02:43 PM
On a stock s13/s14 240sx the ebrake has nothing to do with hydraulics, it's a cable.

Where is your caliper leaking from? Where the pistons or? Where the hose is?
Did you replace the crush washer that goes in between the hose and the caliper?

Sileighty_85
12-17-2010, 03:59 PM
buy a New Remanufactured one. If that one goes bad then you got a problem

TriniTT
12-17-2010, 04:21 PM
On a stock s13/s14 240sx the ebrake has nothing to do with hydraulics, it's a cable.

Where is your caliper leaking from? Where the pistons or? Where the hose is?
Did you replace the crush washer that goes in between the hose and the caliper?

As I mentioned in my initial post, it's leaking from the piston seal. I rebuilt one with new oem seals and it's still doing the same thing. This is crazy.

modulation
12-19-2010, 09:52 AM
As I mentioned in my initial post, it's leaking from the piston seal. I rebuilt one with new oem seals and it's still doing the same thing. This is crazy.

Maybe the rebuild kit sucks, or you suck at rebuilding them (don't take it personally.)

I'd try a new one instead. I have a dirt poor friend who was able to get some rear replacements pretty cheap, so they can't be that pricey new. I can understand wanting to learn and rebuild yourself, but it doesn't seem like that is working out.

TriniTT
12-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Maybe the rebuild kit sucks, or you suck at rebuilding them (don't take it personally.)

I'd try a new one instead. I have a dirt poor friend who was able to get some rear replacements pretty cheap, so they can't be that pricey new. I can understand wanting to learn and rebuild yourself, but it doesn't seem like that is working out.

I'm a mechanic. This isn't my first rodeo.

modulation
12-19-2010, 04:20 PM
I'm a mechanic. This isn't my first rodeo.

Did you use the same brand rebuild kit both times?

TriniTT
12-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Did you use the same brand rebuild kit both times?

I only rebuilt it once. The second caliper I got from a friend off a known working car. Honestly, it might all be coincidence. I'm going to throw on another used one in a day or so and see if it works. It was free so I figure I might as well try it.

240sxrb25
12-20-2010, 05:45 PM
sure you dont have a bad hose that spraying on the caliper making you think its the seal.
oh and this aint no rodeo

TriniTT
12-21-2010, 06:02 PM
sure you dont have a bad hose that spraying on the caliper making you think its the seal.
oh and this aint no rodeo

Positive. The piston seal is clearly broken when I remove the piston.

1slowM6
01-12-2011, 01:54 PM
I have the same exact problem,I can't figure it out either

codyace
01-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Honestly, with these being a wear item, and used at that, you can never really tell how good the actual piston is (regardless of it looking 'good'). We see situations like this all the time at our shop, and it's partly the reason why we always suggest going with a new or profesionally rebuilt caliper (plus by the time you add in the labor of a rebuild, it's often cheaper just to install a new caliper and get it out of the shop).

Not doubting your ability, but with the variables assocaited in a used part, and new OEM kit, it's hard to tell if the used part is even original either.

FWIW: You are obviously pushing the piston back in with the right tool, i assume.