PDA

View Full Version : Exporting Vintage Cars into Japan

KA24DESOneThree
11-22-2010, 12:00 PM
I am the general manager of a large restoration and sales business specializing in vintage German cars.

We're in the process of selling a '72 911T but are unsure as to the process of exporting cars to Japan. The engine is entirely rebuilt with very few miles, and the chassis has a zeroed odometer as per customer request upon restoration. The car was fully restored to factory specification; everything works and would easily pass shaken.

What documentation needs to be filled out and what requirements need to be met prior to importation? Duties and fees will be passed on to the customer but prior to his placing a deposit on the sale of the car, we must make sure it can be easily imported.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

racer98
11-25-2010, 08:38 PM
I am the general manager of a large restoration and sales business specializing in vintage German cars/
already 100 other people doing this in japan and it is no easy process.

We're in the process of selling a '72 911T but are unsure as to the process of exporting cars to Japan. The engine is entirely rebuilt with very few miles, and the chassis has a zeroed odometer as per customer request upon restorationok, now you will find this as an uphill battle.

The car was fully restored to factory specification; everything works and would easily pass shaken.

Taken it you have never dealt with Japan customs and exporting/importing used cars into Japan ? Shaken inspection will vary to each shop and its not up to you to say what will pass and what wont, if there are any leaks or items that for example would fail a MOT,TUV & SEV inspection it's certain they will not allow it in, + the VAT and import fees in japan for this car will be very high.

What documentation needs to be filled out and what requirements need to be met prior to importation? Duties and fees will be passed on to the customer but prior to his placing a deposit on the sale of the car, we must make sure it can be easily imported.

You have to work with a broker who does this on a regular basis if not you can just have a really bad time about this and or just having the car denied entry. Basically best to let your customer deal with it since he is a resident in japan.

Feast Japan
11-26-2010, 04:13 AM
From info ive gathered over the years, when importing from overseas, its wise to import several cars rather than just one. Something about a certain compliance fee that covers a number of cars. It just makes sense to take advantage of the system a little.

And actual compliance is quite simple, yet expensive. They stamp your frame rails with your VIN number and or assigned VIN, install exh. temp lamp or rewire existing and some other crap.

I have a good friend that runs a Shaken registration service/business that can possibly help out. Though his English is not so good.

KA24DESOneThree
11-29-2010, 11:16 AM
I'm not sure if you understand our definition of restored: There isn't a rubber piece on the car that hasn't been replaced. There isn't a brake component that wasn't overhauled and there wasn't a nut unturned in the rebuild. Every wear item was replaced or, if new parts do not exist, rebuilt to an exacting standard.

We aren't a fly-by-night shop throwing paint jobs on clunkers. Restoration means restoration here. This car is better than it was from the factory.

Our customer will not be a customer if he has to deal with it, hence the thread.

Feast, thanks for the info. We only have this one car possibly going; my guess is that the language barrier presents problems for other enthusiasts and my Japanese is extremely limited.

Apparently we have another customer who recently imported a car into Japan and who is feeding us bits and pieces of information so we may have answers soon.

Toi
11-30-2010, 06:08 AM
From info ive gathered over the years, when importing from overseas, its wise to import several cars rather than just one. Something about a certain compliance fee that covers a number of cars. It just makes sense to take advantage of the system a little.

And actual compliance is quite simple, yet expensive. They stamp your frame rails with your VIN number and or assigned VIN, install exh. temp lamp or rewire existing and some other crap.

I have a good friend that runs a Shaken registration service/business that can possibly help out. Though his English is not so good.

This is somewhat true but I have mainly seen it for newer cars and bikes. Take for instance Harley Davidson motorcycles sold to GIs on military installations. They will take several of each model and test them, if they pass then all of that model is allowed.

As for bringing something in, it is best to get a broker 1) because its a total uphill pain in the butt and 2) they have buddies that do Shaken who will get the car to pass one way or the other!!!

SinGarage
11-30-2010, 10:26 AM
I export vehicles to Japan but usually as a trans-shipment. My broker can probably help out if needed (also doesn't speak very good English). PM me if you are still interested.