Strider
08-28-2003, 02:38 AM
*note: copied*

http://newsmotoring.news.com.au/her...5E21825,00.html

http://www.autotrader.com.au/storyimages/2334/KiaRioSport-Pac_12.jpg

Rio goes for Rex
By JAMES STANFORD
11jul03

IT MAKES people do double takes, but don't think the Sport-Pac Kia Rio can outrun the law. The new Rio may look like a Subaru Impreza WRX Sti, but it concedes 124kW of power and 211Nm of torque.

And it drives through two wheels, not four. The sales and marketing personnel at Kia's importer, Ateco Automotive, have come up with the kit and it has worked the brand's dealers into a frenzy.

The Sport-Pac adds $3000 to the price of a regular Rio ($14,990 drive away).

It comes with Pedders sports suspension along with the body kit and a non-functional bonnet scoop.

The sporty Rio runs the regular 71kW 1.5-litre engine and takes 15 seconds to go from 0-100km/h.

By comparison, the $55,130 four-wheel-drive turbo WRX STi that it mimics has 195kW and can dash from 0-100km/h in 5.5 seconds.

On the STi the scoop forces air into the intercooler to feed the turbo, but the Rio's scoop is just there to look cool.

The Rio also has what is described as "a World Rally Championship-style rear wing", even though Kia does not have much of a rally heritage, or even a car in the WRC.

Subaru spokesman David Rowley says: "We are confident that people will be able to distinguish between this car and the WRX. For a start, there is a slight difference in the acceleration figures.

"All I can say is that imitation is a serious form of flattery."

Kia says it did not intend to model its Sport-Pac on the Subaru WRX.

Kia spokesman Edward Rowe says: "It's just a coincidence."

He says the sporty Rio has been designed to mimic all rally cars, not just the Subaru.

"Subaru, Citroen and Ford all have cars in the WRC with wings and scoops like that, not just Subaru," Rowe says.

Kia is confident the Sport-Pac will be popular with young people who want a car that looks fast but who can't afford to buy or maintain a car such as a WRX or a Lancer EVO.

"This conversion won't affect people's insurance premiums and that is quite important for people who are 25," Rowe says.

"It is also very affordable."

Herald Sun

http://newsmotoring.news.com.au/dai...5E17002,00.html

Rio in drag fails to Impreza
27jun03

IT has made more than a few people do double and triple-takes – but don't pinch one and think you'll be able to out-run the law.

Given that the Rio is giving away 124kW, 211Nm, and that it drives through two versus the Subaru's four-wheel-drive and the chassis has nowhere near WRC development levels, Subaru is taking it as a compliment that Kia dealers are now able to offer a sport-kit for the Rio sedan that apes the WRX STi.
The sales and marketing personnel at Kia importer Ateco Automotive have come up with the new kit, which has apparently worked the breed's dealers into somewhat of a frenzy.

It's a little more than a skin-deep makeover designed to capitalise on the after-market desires of young people who like tweaking cheaper cars up themselves.

The bonnet scoop is purely for show – but the Rio Sport-Pac's ride height is lower and it has improved the handling, or so they say.

Although Kia doesn't have a rally program, it has a colour called Rally Blue Mica, which is the hue chosen for the Rio sedan in this guise . . . it's the beginning of the flattery for Subaru but by no means the end.

The dealer-fitted Sport-Pac adds 15x6-inch gold ROH Strada alloy wheels that look an awful lot like the STi rims, wearing 195/50 Bridgestone Potenza tyres.

Kia says it wants to keep the mods to a minimum for cost and insurance concerns but the suspension does get some attention, riding on Pedders Sports Ryder springs, which lowers the ride height and provides a more sporting suspension response, according to Kia.

The piece de resistance is the rear spoiler, done in the best traditions of World Rally Championship add-ons, but aerodynamic advantages have yet to be determined.

No word yet on a Kia WRC program but where the Korean has the $55,130 STi on the ropes is price.

The Rio Sedan currently carries a list price tag of $14,990 drive away – but those with WRC fantasies can have the Rio Sport-Pac for an extra $3038 plus fitting.

-E-
08-28-2003, 03:04 AM
thats Kia for ya :rolleyes:

NZO
08-28-2003, 03:40 AM
Marketing genius.

aznpoopy
08-28-2003, 07:33 AM
is that like.. auto company rice? non functional scoop hehe. reminds me of when lexus started putting clear tail lamps on their cars.

s14falcon
08-28-2003, 09:48 AM
non functional scoop hehe

cough MUSTANG cough cough

BoaConChicken
08-28-2003, 09:59 AM
Kias are :ghey:

nocomedown
08-28-2003, 06:48 PM
Kia spokesman Edward Rowe says: "It's just a coincidence."
thats COMPLETE bs. everything about that car..even the color and the color of the rims is a complete knock off of the STi. thats just pathetic...:mad:

Sundi240
08-28-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by s14falcon
cough MUSTANG cough cough

Cough WILL STILL KICK UR *** cough cough

KiDyNomiTe
08-28-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Sundi240
Cough WILL STILL KICK UR *** cough cough

And so will most WRXs with non-functional scoops.

SimpleS14
08-28-2003, 09:47 PM
wow...that's just sad.

method2833
08-28-2003, 11:30 PM
like i said before the kia fad is coming beware!!!:cool:

aznpoopy
08-29-2003, 07:14 AM
i wonder if i'll see as many of these kias as the yellow lancer OZ-rally's back in the day. -_-"

Chernobyl
08-29-2003, 07:14 PM
Poser car for poser drivers.

Funny the OZ rally edition Lancer is kinda a poser EVO...

On a side note, my friend just got rid of a brand new RX-8 and got a WRX STi today.... that bastard.

radrex88
08-29-2003, 08:25 PM
Anyone else think it looks like a cross between a civic and the impreza, the front screams civic. I wouldnt drive that thing If you paid me, well maybe If the price was right.:cool:

Sundi240
08-29-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by KiDyNomiTe
For the same price, I'd rather get a new Cobra that will eat the WRX Sti alive...

jenne313
08-31-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Sundi240
For the same price, I'd rather get a new Cobra that will eat the WRX Sti alive...

Ggg ggg ggg

MAYBE on the straight away, MAYBE. But take your new Cobra out on a real road, and you're done for. G'night, Sally!:bs:

zero.counter
08-31-2003, 09:29 PM
Dost mine eyes deceive me.

Kia sucks, good eco car however so I just contradicted myself. Except for the part that they fall apart SO WELL!

240Dave
08-31-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by KiDyNomiTe

Except of the 3 cars (cobra, kia pos, wrx) the wrx is the only one who's scoop is actually functional...

I'd prolly take a cobra as much as I dislike mustang handling, the rex just feels like a pig to me turning and braking...that and 4wd just isn't my thing anymore than fwd is.

KiDyNomiTe
08-31-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by 240Dave
Except of the 3 cars (cobra, kia pos, wrx) the wrx is the only one who's scoop is actually functional...

I'd prolly take a cobra as much as I dislike mustang handling, the rex just feels like a pig to me turning and braking...that and 4wd just isn't my thing anymore than fwd is.

You seem to not understand me, when people get FMIC on WRXs they usually don't get a new hood. And from most of the WRXs that I have seen in person that sprung for a fmic, they are pretty quick.

DamnedButDetermined
09-01-2003, 12:13 PM
knock off yes!

Slow yes!

But for $18K it would be funny as hell to see one with a turbo kit blow the sti away for $30K less! I would love to see that!

I am actually thinking about getting a brand new kia for price reasons. My S13 as many of you know loves fighting with me, so i really need a cheap reliable car and with a 10yr 100,000 mile warranty I figure it would be a pretty good decision.

So just wave when you see me driving down the street! :fruit: :ghey: :wackit:

coolerow
09-01-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by NZO
Marketing genius.

:stupid: while you guys are getting mad for what they're doing, Kia is getting filthy rich by the people(that cant afford the WRX) buying them up.

Sundi240
09-02-2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by jenne313
Ggg ggg ggg

MAYBE on the straight away, MAYBE. But take your new Cobra out on a real road, and you're done for. G'night, Sally!:bs:

What do you mean MAYBE? It's a definate. A few BASIC mods (intake, exh, etc) and the 03 Cobra pushes 450hp. Just try and keep up. As for taking it in turns, it handles damn well for a 3700lbs car. They compared the 03 Cobra to Corvette Z06's and it was almost negligible. Sorry, you lose.

jenne313
09-02-2003, 10:33 AM
:D Well, if you're such a fan of the 'tang, go buy one. If you recall, this thread was about the Kia mimicing the STi. I haven't yet seen the Kia-cum-muscle car article yet. They're not even worth posing as, IMO.

Sundi240
09-02-2003, 03:45 PM
I did buy a Stang. It's a 91 GT. I would love to have an 03 Cobra but I dont have 30grand.