PDA

View Full Version : Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010)

SimpleS14
11-14-2010, 08:38 AM
This game is probably being overshadowed by COD:BO and GT5, but I wanted to know if anyone is interested in getting this game.

I just watched the review on IGN and the gameplay looks awesome. Very nice arcade feel to it, and if you liked Burnout Paradise you will like this game.

I'm glad Criterion developed this game. The crashes look spectacular and the road courses are nicely detailed and probably full of shortcuts.

Here's the video review:
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit: Video Review Video - PS3 - IGN (http://www.ign.com/videos/2010/11/09/need-for-speed-hot-pursuit-video-review?objectid=1320)

BURSTspeed
11-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Not really a fan of games like this.

satal95
11-14-2010, 10:30 AM
just heard about it the other day but more then likely will have to pass on it.

Quail
11-14-2010, 11:43 AM
The first one was awesome. I miss the original NFS games. NFS1 was amazing! The franchise has been truly sodomised when they went down the tuner route.

Although with driving games I'm now solely a GT/Forza racer, that video does make it look fun!

240sxWinkeR
11-14-2010, 11:44 AM
Eh..nfs2 (:

Phlip
11-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Being that I have or do own EVERY NFS game made (and yes, I concede that some were not so great), I am looking forward to this one.

Z_Spool
11-14-2010, 02:08 PM
blah blah blah...arcade feel...blah blah blah

Nope. The need for speed franchise has always been around to wet my appetite while waiting for a better racing game to be released, but in the end they're always super dissapointing with horrible physics, even when they say that the new one is the most realistic game they've ever made. Will not buy. (probably won't even play)

LoneStarSilvia
11-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Definitely getting this, you guys are letting the last shitty NFS's ruin what is going to be a great game. I think it should be called Hot Pursuit versus NFS, because all the Hot Pursuit games have been incredible while all the others are sub-par.

deolio
11-14-2010, 03:41 PM
i'm done with nfs. no drifting. boooooo

Phlip
11-14-2010, 05:01 PM
Nope. The need for speed franchise has always been around to wet my appetite while waiting for a better racing game to be released, but in the end they're always super dissapointing with horrible physics, even when they say that the new one is the most realistic game they've ever made. Will not buy. (probably won't even play)

That is my thing... For a realistic racing simulator, I will look for that... The cartoonish nature of the NFS franchise is what has driven my interest. Something about taking an Audi A4 to 187 MPH on a surface street and knocking various construction joints down to damage cop cars is what I need after work some days.

LoneStarSilvia
11-14-2010, 05:39 PM
i'm done with nfs. no drifting. boooooo

NFS drifting is garbage! Sadly enough, the first Underground was the best when it came to drifting, but failed at everything else.

You guys are missing the point of this game, its not trying to be something it isn't. No fast and furious, no Gran Turismo weaksauce try, no Universal Studios movie. Intense cops chases are what put this franchise on the map IMO.

Imagine it, playing online against 8 or so of your friends online, them as the racers, yourself as the cop, and busting their ass in a damn Veyron.

This game is going to be fun as hell.

Tom25666
11-14-2010, 05:39 PM
this looks awesome. hot pursuit for ps2 was badass

Weedm
11-14-2010, 06:33 PM
i used to love the need for speed type games back when I was like 12-15. Now, i cant see myself playing something like need for speed anymore. It is gran turismo, or nothing at all.

BURSTspeed
11-14-2010, 09:59 PM
nfs underground 2 was my favorite, hours of online play, that would come down to who can tune their car the best(sometimes). Drifting was fun back then even if it wasn't realistic. Good customization. I'd still play online and I did up until they shut the server down. =[

CrimsonRockett
11-15-2010, 12:27 AM
Played the demo on 360. It's not that bad, but I can't really see myself buying it.

Barely have enough free time to play COD: BO. Most games I buy these days end up collecting dust for years to come (same applies to all of the other systems I have sitting around).

Loved NFS growing up. I guess I just got more addicted to first person shooter games and more "realistic" driving games (GT, Forza, etc).

Devius
11-15-2010, 03:58 AM
had it on reserve, cant wait to pick it up. and perfect timing. i just finished Fallout new vegas

Sergio180sx
11-15-2010, 11:18 AM
I love the cheesy NFS games its like when a new fast and furious movie comes out, we all talk shit about the shitty acting and how they should cast better cars in the movie but in the end we all watch the movie, and thats how i am for NFS its so cheesy but love playing it lol

Z_Spool
11-16-2010, 05:04 PM

okay... so I've kind of got to eat my own words here. I actually played it today at best buy and was remarkably surprised. Physics aren't great by any means, but they've certainly done worse. And I do like the idea of more-or-less playing cops and robbers online. I dunno, if I'll actually buy it or not. I think it'll come down to whether or not I have enough people to play it with.

chiboy002
11-16-2010, 05:23 PM
it disappoints me that they killed the old series. Need for speed hot pursuit was never about hitting cars and crashing, it was about racing and getting away from the cops in awesome 2d graphics.

If i still had a console it would be a renter, but not something i would buy. Need for speed is to racing simulator as Grand theft auto is to action-simulator. It's just to have fun in, to keep you busy, and to fuck shit up.

I also don't like the power ups and the fact that need for speed's car line ups all have nos. No. It's like that is all they focus on now, and its pretty stupid.

/rant

chris_240sx
11-16-2010, 05:55 PM
I don't plan on looking into it unless alot of people end up liking it. The last few have been too bad for me to expect much

Chaw wee
11-16-2010, 06:37 PM
I really liked NFS Underground. I loved online play on that game lol
Will have to download the demo and give this one a shot..

HyperTek
11-16-2010, 07:14 PM
and they are working on Shift 2.. NFS games overshadow each other every year. When it becomes a annual game, i think the quality starts to lack in physics as opposed to say something like GT or Forza with a high detail to everything.

Old NFS games = traffic cars who go around in a circle with no real place to go lol.

Test Drive unlimited 2 is around the corner too, what do you guys think about that one?

deolio
11-16-2010, 07:19 PM
wtf, they announced shift 2 today. SHIFT2 UNLEASHED>> THE SECOND COMING - Speedhunters (http://speedhunters.com/archive/2010/11/16/shift2-unleashed-gt-gt-the-second-coming.aspx) i get it now. they do one un-realistic, car crash/chase, and mayhem game and one un-realistic, car crash/race, and terrible physics.

KiLLeR2001
11-16-2010, 07:54 PM
Last NFS game I played was Underground 2. Pretty fun, but got old quick.

LoneStarSilvia
11-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Anyone played this yet? Tried to go get it today but on base stores suck dick when it comes to release dates.

EDT007
11-18-2010, 10:49 AM
I just picked it up yesterday. Game itself is like most of the older versions. Not bad. I really enjoy the multiplayer though. Allows you and your friends to choose between being a cop and racer. I really enjoyed it. Opens up a whole new level of trash talking..LOL

Z_Spool
11-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Test Drive unlimited 2 is around the corner too, what do you guys think about that one?

I liked TDU even though the physics weren't the best. Used to have a lot of fun cruising all over Oahu and going drifting/racing at the track with people online. I had the PS2 version though so no Ferraris, no bikes, and no delivery missions. even with less gameplay it was still fun. I kinda liked the idea of a Car-based MMORPG. I think if you combined the two games (TDU2 & NFS:HS) I'd play for hours, regardless of physics.

BoostSlideWayz
11-18-2010, 11:39 AM
Ive never been a fan of car games that are about running from the cops.. Its not really fun to me. When need for speed shift came out.. thats kinda where im sitting until NFS comes out with a game more like that.

LoneStarSilvia
11-19-2010, 06:34 PM
wtf, they announced shift 2 today. SHIFT2 UNLEASHED>> THE SECOND COMING - Speedhunters (http://speedhunters.com/archive/2010/11/16/shift2-unleashed-gt-gt-the-second-coming.aspx) i get it now. they do one un-realistic, car crash/chase, and mayhem game and one un-realistic, car crash/race, and terrible physics.

Yea, there's actually an advertisement in game when you first start the career.

I'm going to say this is the 3rd best racing game of the year, 2nd to only Forza and GT5 when it comes out.

The graphics are beautiful, everything runs fluidly, the cars are awesome, the action is fast paced.....and I haven't even tried multiplayer yet!!!

Other NFS players, add me. PSN: LoneStarS30Z

singlecamslam
11-19-2010, 06:43 PM
The first one was awesome. I miss the original NFS games. NFS1 was amazing! The franchise has been truly sodomised when they went down the tuner route.

Although with driving games I'm now solely a GT/Forza racer, that video does make it look fun!

You speak-uth the truth

SimpleS14
11-23-2010, 06:45 PM
Nice commercial...

cm8f-TvxJR0

So the game is $35 on Black Friday...debating on going through the mess just to pick up a copy..

LoneStarSilvia
11-23-2010, 06:55 PM
For $35, WELL worth it. Promise.

SimpleS14
11-26-2010, 05:42 PM
For $35, WELL worth it. Promise.

Good call. I picked up the game and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

stockbee
11-26-2010, 09:06 PM
I just bought this too, but I haven't opened it yet. If you could expound upon it a little more than that you're thoroughly enjoying it I'd REALLY appreciate it. I can still take it back if I want.

In a weird position though, I just purchased and modified a sunset orange metallic Z06 on GT5 and it is SOOOO fun to drive. I may just keep Hot pursuit to play when friends are over.

LoneStarSilvia
11-26-2010, 09:09 PM
The intensity of the racing once things start getting heavy are pretty much what make the game. That and online play makes it even more intense knowing that you're competing against real people, cops versus robbers style.

All in all its just a fun game, I wouldn't return it if you've already bought it.

ZilviaKid
11-26-2010, 09:39 PM
that intro reminded me of the one from NFS2:SE

YouTube - Need For Speed 2 SE Intro. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OwZNx7bsMo)

SimpleS14
11-27-2010, 03:56 PM
I just bought this too, but I haven't opened it yet. If you could expound upon it a little more than that you're thoroughly enjoying it I'd REALLY appreciate it. I can still take it back if I want.

In a weird position though, I just purchased and modified a sunset orange metallic Z06 on GT5 and it is SOOOO fun to drive. I may just keep Hot pursuit to play when friends are over.

GT5 is a completely different game from NFS:HP. The overall experience will be vastly different.

I'm enjoying this game because its very fast paced and keeps me into it. Trying to beat the times of my online friends keeps me revisiting older missions and also striving for gold (top ranking in an event). All the events get more intense as you unlock better cars and rank up. Multiplayer is seamless and it's nice playing hot pursuit with others online because the tactics are not always predictable its a competition on both sides (win 1st, or getting more takedowns). If you have friends come over, it's a good game to pass the controller around and laugh if they get into an epic crash.

I would keep it if I were you and if you really don't want to deal with unlocking the cars, there's are packs you can buy online that will unlock the racer and cop cars.

Kaizen.
11-27-2010, 04:51 PM
I was just about to come in and put my twocents in but SimpleS14 is spot on. good review