PDA

View Full Version : turboing a high mileage car

drift240_2009
10-23-2010, 11:41 PM
Ok this may sound dumb to you but fear not my buddy has 2 spare motors incase this one doesnt last long.Alright we looks online at ka-ts on youtube and noticed some were built on stock internals and we noticed some of the clusters read 100-200k something miles. Now they used t3s or t4s to turbo their car. My buddies car has a chain knock that sounds like its coming from the lower guides. Now since his car has about 160k miles.If he drops in a turbo and other parts that are not overkill for a stock car. How long will his motor last until it finally goes? The shop he called said a year or longer depending how well maintained the motor is. Now whats the real answer?

Plus for me i picked up a single slammer with supposively 76k miles without reciepts to prove rebuild but the owner has pulled the motor and saw a clean ass top and bottom end,pistons etc. How would you know if its rebuilt without spending money to have a mechanic pull it apart to inspect it? I mean, the body is 240k and the motor looks like crap for a rebuilt motor. Im not saying this was a stupid choice, the car looks like it has never been touched by weather.Theres no damage,paint peel,etc. I know i can sell it and get some cash off, but i mean it was gunna be my track car.

eklips3
10-24-2010, 12:50 PM
the shop that you went to were kinda right.

it will all depend on what compression numbers result before you install a turbo. so , if the motor was well kept and well maintained then it will obviously last longer but all depending on how you drive it.

if the motor has low compression , then it wont really be worth your time to turbo it because its really unpredictable when it will go out the door. and then you gotts start over with another motor.

but in the end its all up to you my friend

drift240_2009
10-24-2010, 11:20 PM
yea so i mean im gunna see if i can get a free compression test.What are the exact numbers im looking for?I was told 150 on all 4 i could be wrong i just want to make sure. I drive hard but reasonable.