PDA

View Full Version : sway bar....larger the better?

Quicksilver_s13
10-16-2010, 06:26 PM
i'm looking to buy front and rear aftermarket sway bars for my s14...which brings up my question. are there "better" sway bars than others? i was looking at the tanabe sway bars because they have the largest diameter....but does larger mean better? just looking for some input on the best sway bar...

...and getting new bushings of course:naughtyd:

codyace
10-16-2010, 06:29 PM
Truthfully speaking, there is no single right answer for this question...it's very dpenedent on what other suspension stuff you have/running, and what you're using your car for.

Quicksilver_s13
10-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Truthfully speaking, there is no single right answer for this question...it's very dpenedent on what other suspension stuff you have/running, and what you're using your car for.

dorf coilovers, stock everything else. i will be drag racing a couple times a year, otherwise having fun with the car, spirited drives. i'd like it to handle really well for when i do take it out on the windy roads.

codyace
10-16-2010, 08:17 PM
Realistically, any of the aftermarket ones will work just fine for you. Check out the classifieds for a used on. If you just want a nice basic setup, then any of the bands will work fine. Don't buy into the 'more expensive = better' as it's not always true. A stock s14 bar would be a super cheap and good upgrade as well if you want to go that way.

Quicksilver_s13
10-17-2010, 01:13 AM
alright good to know, thanks.

Datenshi
10-18-2010, 02:45 PM
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/115916-suspension-faq.html

Read that thread, has a lot of information that will probably help you.

iamtheyi
10-23-2010, 05:29 PM
just changing bushings for the stockers make a ton of difference :]

hsitko
10-23-2010, 06:52 PM
The answer is no. Simply. It is of course relative to the other suspension modifications that you have performed. But the short answer is no, the bigger the sway bar is not the better. Stiffer suspension and larger sway bars do not change the amount of body roll, they change the speed at which the roll occurs. Your suspension is still capable of the same travel but with a certain amount of traction at a certain speed your car will still "roll" no matter what. Depending on what your skill level is as a driver and what you plan to do to your car, you might actually want a bit of roll. Most race driving instructors will tell you to learn to drive your car to its limits on stock suspension and tires. The body roll is an indicator of what your car is doing in a corner and can tell you when you are about to loose traction from too much speed in a corner. Keep in mind that most of this is thrown right out the door when you start talking about drifting.