PDA

View Full Version : is track car ok to drive daily?

CBAL
10-07-2010, 05:33 PM
hi zilvia,

Im at cali now and most of you guys know how strict is out here if you've done sr20 swap. So just want to ask you guys what if I register car as track car and daily it. would consequence should be same if I get pulled over(worst case scenario) or ? I'm planning to track it once a year maybe but could this work to get out of reff tickets and such.

Thanks

s13coupedrfter
10-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Im sure you know the answer to your question. G/L

I placed mine on non-op status, it's the best way unless you dont have a trailer. BTW dont get U-haul trailers...they suck if your whip is slammed.

CBAL
10-07-2010, 05:42 PM
I want to say NO I cant daily track car. correcto?

s13coupedrfter
10-07-2010, 05:47 PM
It's only a matter of time before Johnny Law gives you a ref ticket. You can try to do a bar legal swap like a lt1, vq, or any other usdm motor and tell the law to shove it when they want to pop your hood.

CBAL
10-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks man..i know it was dumb question but you know how it is out here in cali. just wanted to see any possible ways to avoid ref t.

Okinawandrifter87
10-07-2010, 05:58 PM
Lol..it was a dumb question..You shouldn't even think of owning a turbo'd s chassis in nor cal or so cal if your even worried the slightest about getting a ticket or even worse. If you don't care then by all means rock what you wanna rock.

CBAL
10-07-2010, 06:05 PM
"only matter of time" seems about right. haha sorry guys.

since you guys are at cali, are yours swapped? shout out to sac town! used to be my hometown.

Okinawandrifter87
10-07-2010, 06:32 PM
Yeah it's only a matter of time. And yes I'm swapped. I swap motors for people as customers but I always put out a disclaimer before the swap saying I'm not liable for them getting tickets or anything of that sort. My daily is a basic mild modded sr with just suspension and rims. Sometimes I drive my other heavily modded sr on the weekends rarely but I know I'm at risk when I do it. Your bound to get a ref ticket. You can never get away without anything.

Om1kron
10-07-2010, 07:09 PM
I had some kid in a toyota tracel damn near stop in traffic looking in his rearview for an invisable car. I thought it was just bad asian driver syndrome and then I go around him hoping to god he doesn't get anywhere near my car.

sure enough he pulls up next to me and is like "SR?" a sigh of relief as I thought it was some retard who didn't know how to drive.

I go yeah, he tells me about his s13 and we go our separate ways. I really don't have much problems in my car with cops, but when that dickhead cop pulls you over and gives you a ref ticket, better save pennies for a daily driver because no fucking way in hell an SR is passing ref and it should show up on the dmv computer when I go to register again in feb.

azndoc
10-07-2010, 07:12 PM
"track" car says it all.

Okinawandrifter87
10-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Yup or make sure you know how to swap ka's and sr's easily for all the hassle you want to go through if you really want to do it.

P.s. Jack said it all lol.

s13coupedrfter
10-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Sac in the house, my home town too.

Install 2 quick disconnect plugs, one for ka and sr harness at the firewall. Rock that sr with a top mount gt35 turbo on weekends LOL.

sr23det
10-07-2010, 07:38 PM
sooner or later you'l find out that your gonna need a truck and trailer so start saving up your penny's. if you got more than penny's you would not need to ask this question.

modulation
10-08-2010, 02:55 PM
I don't have the money for a truck/trailer yet. If I could do it all over again maybe I wouldn't have moved to cali or I would have gotten a exempt vehicle, but I had the 240sx before I moved to cali with mods and everything (no SR.)

I have driven a 240sx in Cali now for almost 3 years now. I've gotten pulled over twice, neither time was I asked to pop my hood. Both times were when my front end was messed up (bought it that way) since i fixed it, cops don't bat an eye at my car. It obviously helps that I'm white and clean cut, and live in nice areas (San Jose/Santa Clara.) When I got pulled over I was polite, I've been told if you get pulled over for something little (running stop sign, going 10 over) you're not going to get asked to pop your hood unless the cop is a real jerk, or you really pissed him off some how.

I have stock looking exhaust, and I drive sane around town. I also don't have stickers and shit on my car. It's a sleeper, except that its lowered like 1.75" and has red brake calipers.
It's quiet driving around town (driven by horse cops without them even looking at the car) but when I get on it and above 4k, it's plenty loud

However.
I have a friend though who has a lowered red 240sx with a shocker sticker and a grenade sticker. He owned it for 3 months and was driving around alum rock area which is known for street-racing at night. He got pulled over and Reff'ed.

In some places cops will pull you over no matter what. If you are in an area known for drifting or racing/cruising there isn't much you can do if you get pulled over, you'll probably get sent to the Ref.

So my recommendations.
-Don't drive in areas known for drifting/street racing.
-Don't drive like a moron.
-Get normal looking exhaust. (two pipes etc..)
-Fix any body damage
-Make Paint 1 color (if it isn't.)
-Turn your car into a sleep (no crazy shocker stickers etc.)
I even went as far as to debadge mine
- Don't have crazy gauges in normal view
(The first time I got pulled over, the cop asked about my WBo2 sensor, I told him what it was and he still didn't care, he also commented that he didn't care about my "illegal" exhaust when he pulled me over. But I'm sure he would've started to if I wasn't polite.)

Also on the off chance you do get pulled over and asked to pop your hood, try to make stuff look at stock as possible. (Like black intercooler couplers and stuff.)

I know a bunch of wrx guys that have upgrade turbos and no cats and all that stuff, they get through smog and everything because their car looks stock.

Okinawandrifter87
10-08-2010, 09:49 PM
I don't have the money for a truck/trailer yet. If I could do it all over again maybe I wouldn't have moved to cali or I would have gotten a exempt vehicle, but I had the 240sx before I moved to cali with mods and everything (no SR.)

I have driven a 240sx in Cali now for almost 3 years now. I've gotten pulled over twice, neither time was I asked to pop my hood. Both times were when my front end was messed up (bought it that way) since i fixed it, cops don't bat an eye at my car. It obviously helps that I'm white and clean cut, and live in nice areas (San Jose/Santa Clara.) When I got pulled over I was polite, I've been told if you get pulled over for something little (running stop sign, going 10 over) you're not going to get asked to pop your hood unless the cop is a real jerk, or you really pissed him off some how.

I have stock looking exhaust, and I drive sane around town. I also don't have stickers and shit on my car. It's a sleeper, except that its lowered like 1.75" and has red brake calipers.
It's quiet driving around town (driven by horse cops without them even looking at the car) but when I get on it and above 4k, it's plenty loud

However.
I have a friend though who has a lowered red 240sx with a shocker sticker and a grenade sticker. He owned it for 3 months and was driving around alum rock area which is known for street-racing at night. He got pulled over and Reff'ed.

In some places cops will pull you over no matter what. If you are in an area known for drifting or racing/cruising there isn't much you can do if you get pulled over, you'll probably get sent to the Ref.

So my recommendations.
-Don't drive in areas known for drifting/street racing.
-Don't drive like a moron.
-Get normal looking exhaust. (two pipes etc..)
-Fix any body damage
-Make Paint 1 color (if it isn't.)
-Turn your car into a sleep (no crazy shocker stickers etc.)
I even went as far as to debadge mine
- Don't have crazy gauges in normal view
(The first time I got pulled over, the cop asked about my WBo2 sensor, I told him what it was and he still didn't care, he also commented that he didn't care about my "illegal" exhaust when he pulled me over. But I'm sure he would've started to if I wasn't polite.)

Also on the off chance you do get pulled over and asked to pop your hood, try to make stuff look at stock as possible. (Like black intercooler couplers and stuff.)

I know a bunch of wrx guys that have upgrade turbos and no cats and all that stuff, they get through smog and everything because their car looks stock.

This man speaks the truth as well.

fliprayzin240sx
10-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Or you just get out of state plates!!! (Sarcasm) I loved being military in CA with FL tags. I had CHP pull me over and pop my hood for shits and giggles. They busted out a binder with pictures of engine bays, they knew its an SR20. Couldnt do shit to it...

Anyways, I've been reading folks just pay the fine and dont even see the ref to get out of their shit. Pretty hefty fine but atleast you dont have to see the ref.

Yeap
10-16-2010, 12:10 AM
I've heard the same. If you get a ref ticket just pay the fine, and get back on the street. I think the fine is about $300 but not certain. CA needs money anyways. Just dont drive fast or stupid on the street or highway.

T-FAST
10-16-2010, 05:57 PM
Damn I love living in Texas

Wookie384
10-18-2010, 08:11 AM
If I'm not mistaken, when you register your car as a "Track use only" vehicle in California, dont your have to surrender your license plates?