PDA

View Full Version : KA-T No Spark Help ?

Rnoodles
10-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Ok quick summary, drove car last sunday runs great no problems, sits until today and ka-t is not starting, keeps cranking, i can smell the fuel, but the motor never catches. Will pull plugs tomorrow, and any way to check the coil ? anything else i should test ? Thanks

onevia drift
10-02-2010, 01:34 AM
grounds, coil, dizzy.... check everything that has anything to do with spark

Rnoodles
10-02-2010, 07:13 AM
i have not ever replaced the coil wire from the dist. to the coil. could that be a factor since its so old ?

SHIFTrl240
10-02-2010, 11:23 PM
well.. if your wires are emitting spark its probably not the coil...

Rnoodles
10-05-2010, 12:47 PM
ok pulled the plugs today, oil on all plugs cyl. 3 plug was covered the most. cleaned them and put back in, almost started running but then nothing but cranking, raining like crazy now so couldnt do much more. need new valve cover gasket is that why plugs are soaked ?

Rnoodles
10-06-2010, 07:02 PM
can i take the cap off the distributor and crank to see if rotor and distributor are working or is there another method ?

Rnoodles
10-07-2010, 03:25 PM
any advice guys ?

itwillboost
10-07-2010, 04:58 PM
You probably didn't retighten the vc correctly if you took it off recently so yes you would need a new vc gasket. Are you getting a spark though check that. You said your getting fuel right ? If it was running and you didnt touch the engine I would assume you have air/compression. It could be a vaccum leak check that but i doubt. Also make sure there is no oil in the cap.

Rnoodles
10-08-2010, 10:40 PM
i just got a comp tester, oil is on bottom side of plugs. hopefully it turns out to be the valve seals or something and not the rings.

modulation
10-09-2010, 09:23 AM
i just got a comp tester, oil is on bottom side of plugs. hopefully it turns out to be the valve seals or something and not the rings.

You sure you aren't flooding the car on startup?

Rnoodles
10-09-2010, 02:30 PM
update, compression is good ^ i think that could be a problem, can smell fuel right out the exhaust, do i need a fpr i do not have one yet on my setup?

Walperstyle
10-09-2010, 02:54 PM
s13 or s14?

Rnoodles
10-09-2010, 08:16 PM
s13 ka24de, should i look into the coolant temp sensor for flooding ? using safc neo

modulation
10-11-2010, 04:01 PM
s13 ka24de, should i look into the coolant temp sensor for flooding ? using safc neo

I have zero experience with safc's ( I love nistune) but if it has something like a adjustment table for enrichment based off the coolant temp sensor or something try messing with that.

If not and you can only adjust for fuel injectors, then maybe you need to tune that down a little?

In the mean-time, pull your plugs, clean them well. Try to start the car while stepping on the throttle lightly and if it catches then more. If you can get it to idle for like 5-10 seconds you'll probably be fine as the o2 sensor will warm up and kick in and help your car not flood.

Have you pulled your wires, and put a spark plug in them on the valve cover to see if you get spark?

Rnoodles
10-11-2010, 06:43 PM
ok checked wires for spark, spark is there, i believe its flooding, pulled temp sensor car booted up, plugged it back in after 2 mins of idling and it sputtered and died. So = bad coolant temp sensor right ? Fans are kicking when it is unplugged. car drives and idles ok now but there is a minor sputter/ weirdness to the idle.