PDA

View Full Version : sr tranny

jlawdet
09-28-2010, 04:20 PM
hi searched and couldnt find so ill post. my sr tranny is making some odd noises. i know that i need a clutch but intermitantly my transmission makes a whinning noise that goes with the revs of my motor. it doesnt stop when the clutch is engaged or when its not. any ideas? im pretty scared at the moment and also is the rumour true that sr trans n KA trans are the same but with a different bell housing?

DRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY
09-28-2010, 04:35 PM
The noise could mean that your low on tranny fluid. Usually its the throw out bearing but it stops whining when you step on the clutch. Since yours does it with clutch depressed or not, it could be the fluid.

Yes the trans are the same.

jlawdet
09-28-2010, 04:57 PM
okay. the noise is very weird. it stops after a few seconds but it comes outta no where then goes away. but im gonna do a clutch then and do a fluid change.

firefighter573
11-28-2010, 02:07 AM
The noise could mean that your low on tranny fluid. Usually its the throw out bearing but it stops whining when you step on the clutch. Since yours does it with clutch depressed or not, it could be the fluid.

wrong. the transmissions are NOT the same.

The Ratios ARE different, The bellhousings and cases ARE different.

but to answer your question bud yes you can go SR with a KA tranny but you do need to swap the bellhousings, and when you pull the bellhousing off your new KA trans BE SURE TO ADJUST THE SHIFT FORKS BACK TO WHERE ALL 3 OF THEM ARE EQUAL LENGTH OR YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SHIFT THROUGH ALL THE GEARS AFTER YOU INSTALL YOUR TRANS! you might have to combination a little bit with the shifter and the forks. But once its done everything should mesh smooothly ;)

Sileighty_85
11-28-2010, 09:45 AM
im pretty scared at the moment and also is the rumour true that sr trans n KA trans are the same but with a different bell housing?

wrong. the transmissions are NOT the same.

The Ratios ARE different, The bellhousings and cases ARE different.

uhhh NO they are correct, 5 gear is the only difference but that really doesnt matter.

but to answer your question bud yes you can go SR with a KA tranny but you do need to swap the bellhousings, and when you pull the bellhousing off your new KA trans BE SURE TO ADJUST THE SHIFT FORKS BACK TO WHERE ALL 3 OF THEM ARE EQUAL LENGTH OR YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SHIFT THROUGH ALL THE GEARS AFTER YOU INSTALL YOUR TRANS! you might have to combination a little bit with the shifter and the forks. But once its done everything should mesh smooothly ;)

Uhhhh No that is wrong you should not have to adjust anything inside the transmissions

Ive swapped many tons of SR to KA Bellhousings and never had to mess with anything inside the housings and they all work fine

The Transmissions are pretty much exactly the same minus 5th gear and the front bell housings

firefighter573
11-28-2010, 10:13 PM
uhhh NO they are correct, 5 gear is the only difference but that really doesnt matter.

Uhhhh No that is wrong you should not have to adjust anything inside the transmissions

Ive swapped many tons of SR to KA Bellhousings and never had to mess with anything inside the housings and they all work fine

The Transmissions are pretty much exactly the same minus 5th gear and the front bell housings

i have done plenty bellhousing swaps myself, and maybe i should have restated my theory...In "Some Cases" the shift works can come out of place, just be sure they are flush with one another. and like i said "the ratios are different" and they are. the 5th gear ratio on SR is 0.838 and KA is 0.759.

Sileighty_85
11-28-2010, 10:22 PM
You shouldnt even have that section exposed seening that that sections on on the shifter side, and you should only be removing the clutch housing side