PDA

View Full Version : drifting accessibility around Yokosuka

Bigalow311
09-27-2010, 04:24 PM
Ok, I've been hitting up the Hawaii and SoCal sections trying to find out about drifting availability in both regions. Basically, I lived in Iwakuni for 3.5 years before coming to southern VA. I would love to go back JP and get stationed in Yokosuka but my chief concern is the availability of drifting. Anyone stationed around Kanto that can provide any insight?

Airborne711
09-28-2010, 09:01 AM
there isnt much in the local area for tracks and events. the best is really Ebisu which is 3 hours away, but awesome if you want to spend the money.

Bigalow311
09-28-2010, 10:06 AM
there isnt much in the local area for tracks and events. the best is really Ebisu which is 3 hours away, but awesome if you want to spend the money.

I would love to go back but everything is so expensive there. I would need a truck, trailer, ruc.

A31CEFIRO
09-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Plenty of tracks to go to and you don't need a truck! You can drive your car to the track I always do. Unless you have a missle that you can't get registered. As far as street its pretty locked down but there are still some spots left but you don't want to get caught doing that. But to answer your question drifting is still alive and well in the Kanto area.

Bigalow311
09-28-2010, 06:08 PM
Plenty of tracks to go to and you don't need a truck! You can drive your car to the track I always do. Unless you have a missle that you can't get registered. As far as street its pretty locked down but there are still some spots left but you don't want to get caught doing that. But to answer your question drifting is still alive and well in the Kanto area.

im going to see if I can take my 350z out there with me. I've spilled a lot of money in this car and I don't want to leave it in the states. How often do you drift and how far do you go to do it?

liv2drift045
09-29-2010, 04:18 AM
There are 4 circuits (probably more cuz i haven't been to them all) that are w/in 2-3 hours of yokosuka. Fuji Speedway, Mobara, Nikko Circuit, Minami-chiba. Ebisu is another hour or so away. I only make it to the track every few months due to family/work commitments. Alot of local guys go monthly and sometimes multiple times in a month. I'd say the easiest/cheapest/fastest to get to/drift at is fuji speedway. Come on out man.

va240dude
09-29-2010, 08:44 AM
^^^^ I want to make it out to Fuji speedway SOON, heard it's a good scene. Was going to go with a few buddies this fall to Ebisu, but they backed out my schedule got busy all of a sudden. Looks like I'll have to wait till spring....

OP: You're always welcome to come down to the Chiba area (opposite side of the bay than Yokosuka). I've been to Mobara and hang out with some of the guys there, it's about 35 min from me....What part of VA are you from? I'm from the Harrisonburg area, JMU grad, yada yada. Anyhow goodluck getting back here, my family and I love it.

Bigalow311
09-29-2010, 09:33 AM
There are 4 circuits (probably more cuz i haven't been to them all) that are w/in 2-3 hours of yokosuka. Fuji Speedway, Mobara, Nikko Circuit, Minami-chiba. Ebisu is another hour or so away. I only make it to the track every few months due to family/work commitments. Alot of local guys go monthly and sometimes multiple times in a month. I'd say the easiest/cheapest/fastest to get to/drift at is fuji speedway. Come on out man.

That sounds good. I don't care much about grip so if I can drift those tracks then I'm set. My Z has next-to-nothing space available so I'll probably buy a drifter with space for wheels/tires, etc... although, i doubt I'll be able to take my Z to begin with.

I'm PTS'ing from HM to CTN so if I play my cards right I can move to Yoko from Pensecola.

OP: You're always welcome to come down to the Chiba area (opposite side of the bay than Yokosuka). I've been to Mobara and hang out with some of the guys there, it's about 35 min from me....What part of VA are you from? I'm from the Harrisonburg area, JMU grad, yada yada. Anyhow goodluck getting back here, my family and I love it.

I'm definitely down for meets and hang outs to get the ball rolling. I hope I can make it out there (or at least back to SoCal)...
I'm actually not from VA I'm from Los Angeles.
No ofense to you but I frikin hate Hampton Roads. I'm only here because I was engaged to a girl from Fukouka and her childhood best friend happens to live here with her military husband. Otherwise I would have choose to go back to Cali.. Well, I can't say this place is ALL THAT BAD but if someone is from Cali and has lived in Japan then this place poopou.

A31CEFIRO
09-29-2010, 04:51 PM
Good juck getting that 350 Z over there. Plus the $2,000 sniff check. I was going to bring my GTO there last time until i found out about that. It's like a penalty for registering a car from the us. Its only once though.

Bigalow311
09-29-2010, 05:06 PM
Good juck getting that 350 Z over there. Plus the $2,000 sniff check. I was going to bring my GTO there last time until i found out about that. It's like a penalty for registering a car from the us. Its only once though.

I heard about that $2K then some sort of emissions, safety check. I figured that I would spend around the same amount of money buying a nihonnokuruma and building it up. My Z is already heavily modified and I have a bunch of 9.5 wide wheels that I don't know will fit in the S chasis wheel base.

Is there anything more you can tell me about getting a car over there?

va240dude
09-30-2010, 07:41 AM
No ofense to you but I frikin hate Hampton Roads. I'm only here because I was engaged to a girl from Fukouka and her childhood best friend happens to live here with her military husband. Otherwise I would have choose to go back to Cali.. Well, I can't say this place is ALL THAT BAD but if someone is from Cali and has lived in Japan then this place poopou.

Haha no offense taken, I'm not from that area so I don't care. There are more 240 guys in VA beach area though than the western side of VA I'm from.

I also agree it's going to be a pain getting your car over here. Honestly unless you're planning on being here for a really long time, I wouldn't want the hassle. You could probably find a Z for half the price over here and build it while getting to know some of the locals.

Bigalow311
09-30-2010, 10:03 AM
^^^^
Yeah, the 240 guys over here have a strong community. I've always been envious of that. The Z community is virtually non-existent here and back home (in LA) it doesn't seem much stronger.

You're right I have to find out how long I'll be allowed to stay at Yokosuka before I commit to taking my Z.

You guys ever checked out Japanbases.com? I was just looking at posting there and vehicles for sale. I'm goig to see if they have more information regarding importing a USDM car just in case.

FOUND:
http://www.japanbases.com/forums/aft/468.aspx

Maybe not important to people already in Japan but perhaps helpful to those thinking about taking their car.

A31CEFIRO
09-30-2010, 10:45 AM
also whats your rank by the way? E-4 and below have to route request chits to buy a car after they finish blue card status not sure about shipping one though.

Bigalow311
09-30-2010, 10:55 AM
also whats your rank by the way? E-4 and below have to route request chits to buy a car after they finish blue card status not sure about shipping one though.

E6. After reading that post I'm having second thoughts about bringing my Z. I think we could only own 1 vehicle when I was in Iwakuni (E4-E5). Has that changed?

shane1010
01-28-2012, 06:32 AM
Yes, leave your Z at home. Z's are heavy and not good drift cars.. But then again I drift my daily driver r32 F/R GTR that is also heavy. I'm stationed in Yokosuka and hit up Ebisu every season for their matsuir. I just drive my car there. Dont crash and you'll be fine haha. Obviously your not going to be able to push your car and driving skills as hard as all the Austrailians that fly in for the matsuri's and dont really care about their cars..I have been out to Fuji speedway a few times, but never drifted their curcuit. My japanese homies hit up Mabora curcuit in Chiba not too long ago, but I had to work.

shane1010
01-28-2012, 06:33 AM
oh, and if your on a ship here...dont expect to be in port much. (thank you.. shore duty)

fliprayzin240sx
01-28-2012, 01:11 PM
Funny how this thing got bumped...he's actually on his way out to mainland in the next couple of weeks. Just not Yokosuka. IIRC he's heading to Iwakuni.

Toi
02-03-2012, 11:05 AM
LOL glad I live up in Misawa, MSP isn't big but still good enough to slide, local scene is still around if you know where to look, and they just built a 2km long track in Aomori. Sendai isn't to far away and I never have to deal with REAL rush hour traffic.....

Jose1
02-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Anyone stationed around Kanto that can provide any insight?

I'd say the front lawn of the base commanders house and if that does not work I'd say a proper power slide right in-front of the local Koban station :goyou:

Just make sure you fold your plates on your car ;).

Biggamehit
02-09-2012, 04:18 AM
LOL glad I live up in Misawa, MSP isn't big but still good enough to slide, local scene is still around if you know where to look, and they just built a 2km long track in Aomori. Sendai isn't to far away and I never have to deal with REAL rush hour traffic.....

Micky???? Slippy??

liv2drift045
02-09-2012, 04:31 AM
It's always awesome when year + old threads get bumped haha

Toi
02-09-2012, 08:37 AM
Micky???? Slippy??

Hai, Mick Slippy it be brother!

Biggamehit
02-09-2012, 10:19 PM
hahaah I seen age 35 and Toi and put it together lol.