PDA

View Full Version : Timing issue with my S13 sr20det swap

shaoyang951
09-13-2010, 09:04 PM
I recently bought a s13 with a blacktop s13 sr20det swap. It ran but then had low compression in all 4 cylinders so I bought a redtop and swapped out the blacktop and swapped in the redtop. I am currently running the redtop with the s13 blacktop harness and ecu and the blacktop CAS. It runs and I drive it around normally. From researching, I heard running my setup with the redtop like this should be fine. But when I adjust my timing to 15 degrees like how it says for S13 SRs after unplugging the TPS sensor, my engine idles rough and it doesn't want to run when I try to drive it. Currently the timing seems REALLY advanced but it runs just fine and idles fine and it pulls fine. Do I need a redtop ECU to do the timing?? Is this because I am using a blacktop ecu to run a redtop?? HELP!!! Please. :confused:

shaoyang951
09-14-2010, 09:33 AM
Help anyone!!?? Btw, I am running the big o2 sensor, the s13 blacktop CAS, ECU, I have new spark plugs but will have to check my gaps. I have a stock setup with the stock t25 turbo running stock boost, stock MAF, greddy FMIC, Type RS bov doesn't recirculate into my intake, circuit-sport downpipe, nismo cat-delete, apexi N1 3 inch cat-back and turbo-timer, Z32 fuel filter. Timing on the chain should be dead on because I never touched it ever since I bought it unless if it jumped when I first started it up. It does backfire a bit sometimes but rarely. And it does seem to be running a bit rich because I can smell gasoline whenever I am driving or maybe I just have a fuel leak somewhere. Sometimes my idle does drop a bit then will come back up. My idle is currently around 800 rpms to 1000 rpms. It seems like low-end is suffering a bit even while under boost then it'll pick up around 4k rpms. The engine went through a leak-down test right before I purchased it and the leak-down test came back great! HELLP!?? I also get poor gas mileage!!! Around 200-250 miles on a full tank. It doesn't seem to be leaking boost or anything, once it boost it holds steady. The engine does not knock, smoke, or anything out of the ordinary.

shaoyang951
09-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Wow, no replies?? No help!?? C'mon zilvia!!!

DriftVader
09-28-2010, 01:42 PM
So your idle is all thats wrong? sorry u confused me a bit.

shaoyang951
09-30-2010, 01:46 AM
So your idle is all thats wrong? sorry u confused me a bit.

It idles fine, but once i put it into timing mode and i set the timing on the CAS to 15 degrees, the car idles rough and runs like shit. But if i adjust the CAS and advance the timing REALLY REALLY far then the car idles fine and the car runs and pulls like it should. At 15 degrees the car wont go pass 3500rpm when I try to drive it and it just back fires like crazy. I bought the timing gun brand new and used it on other cars and it works fine.

cotbu
10-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Set your idle in base timing mode, then adjust base timing or vice versa.

shaoyang951
10-04-2010, 02:39 AM
Set your idle in base timing mode, then adjust base timing or vice versa.

What do you mean set my idle in base timing mode and then adjust base timing or vice versa? Im new to Nissans so Im still learning. I know I have to disconnect the TPS then put it into timing mode or something? Then I adjust the idle and timing on the CAS from there right? Cause I did that and when it is at 15 degrees the car runs like crap but it idles smooth though. Itll drive but then if I try to punch it, it backfires and won't rev pass 3500rpm.