PDA

View Full Version : Salesman at Dealership

weirdstyles.net
08-05-2003, 03:36 PM
anyone here a sales person at a dealership.

I have a job offer....is it that great. Money? Demo cars? *bling*

Chernobyl
08-05-2003, 03:51 PM
Having worked around car salesmen before (never was one myself), let me say a few things. First off, if you are by any means a good moral person, you will not do well in sales, and should stay out of it. If you don't like talking to idiots (both customers and co-workers), stay out of sales. I have met very good people in the sales field, but 90% have been total scum. If you think you're going to be a good honest salesman, be prepared to change. I've personally watched people I thought I could trust turn into complete vultures. Besides, sales is something everyone insisits is just temporary, but it sucks you in, and you can do nothing else but sell cars after a while.

OK sorry for the rant, I just hate the profession, I have seen what it does to people.

BTW, I do not mean to offend any salesmen/women on this board.

weirdstyles.net
08-05-2003, 04:07 PM
rotflmao....

seriously have a distaste for em. I can buy that.

It really is temporary, the Military will be haulin my *** away whether i wanna sell cars or not...

we'll see

240SX714
08-06-2003, 12:30 AM
Just try it, if nothing else, you will gain a very valuable skill! But what (i forgot who) said above is true. An honest salesman is an oxymoron. But it doesn't mean that he's NOT honest in his other life, maybe just his professional life. Money's good if you know what you're doing, also the "hookup factor" is there too, which means testing out lots of new cars and getting parts for cheap. Good luck to ya! P.S: Remember to seperate your lying professional way from your everyday life!

mvaters
08-06-2003, 12:46 AM
i worked at a kia dealership selling cars. i made some good money sometimes. no flat pay rate. just got paid by the cars we sold. i made 500 bucks for every car i sold. but its a Kia, who wants to buy them? and they're were only 2 sales people working there. one day i made 1500 bucks. but there was a stretch of 3 weeks where i never sold one. insane mark up on kia cars :rolleyes:

BOOSTLOVER
08-06-2003, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by Chernobyl
Having worked around car salesmen before (never was one myself), let me say a few things. First off, if you are by any means a good moral person, you will not do well in sales, and should stay out of it. If you don't like talking to idiots (both customers and co-workers), stay out of sales. I have met very good people in the sales field, but 90% have been total scum. If you think you're going to be a good honest salesman, be prepared to change. I've personally watched people I thought I could trust turn into complete vultures. Besides, sales is something everyone insisits is just temporary, but it sucks you in, and you can do nothing else but sell cars after a while.

OK sorry for the rant, I just hate the profession, I have seen what it does to people.

BTW, I do not mean to offend any salesmen/women on this board.

So true. I sold cars at mitsubishi for 2 months and quit, I couldn't lie to customers about what car they should get . And half the time the customers expected me to be dishonest and treated me like ****.

weirdstyles.net
08-06-2003, 07:06 AM
a lot of great input. Its a bitch having a conscience...

we'll its a toyota dealership, so hopefully I will have better luck with sales than a Kia dealership. I need to make mucho denaro in minimal time.

Thanks for the feedback, we'll see how everything goes

ca18guy
08-06-2003, 07:40 AM
I read a long article on the profession awhile ago. Here is the article I read, its long but a good read,

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/42962/article.html

weirdstyles.net
08-06-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by ca18guy
I read a long article on the profession awhile ago. Here is the article I read, its long but a good read,

very helpful article, thank you. Its given a little more insight into the unknow. Again, thank you.

I really have to think about this now, the comission sounds great, but it took him a little while to groove into things, and I dont have that much time. I need a steady income to produce the ammount of money I need. Gonna have to think this through.

Know any other options? I had an offer as a C rate mechanic, do dealership low ladder mechanics make decent money?

fantasya98
08-06-2003, 10:56 AM
as a tech, it depends on how fast/efficient you can work. Lets say you get 15 an hour, and the job takes 5 hours. If you really take 5 hours to do it, den you get your 75 bucks for 5 hours, but if you do the job correctly in say, 2 hours, you get 75 bucks for 2 hours worth of work which equates into 37.50 an hour. My brother was a master tech, so i know, i think his pay was 25 an hour and he said, that no one works at the exact hours, they're usually done quicker than it says on paper.

weirdstyles.net
08-06-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by fantasya98
as a tech, it depends on how fast/efficient you can work. Lets say you get 15 an hour, and the job takes 5 hours. If you really take 5 hours to do it, den you get your 75 bucks for 5 hours, but if you do the job correctly in say, 2 hours, you get 75 bucks for 2 hours worth of work which equates into 37.50 an hour. My brother was a master tech, so i know, i think his pay was 25 an hour and he said, that no one works at the exact hours, they're usually done quicker than it says on paper.

worked at Pep Boys over a year as a Service Advisor, I understand the concept of a flat rate employee. However, thank you for your reply. Im looking more toward, what is the pay scale per hr worked.

jsr20det
08-06-2003, 11:34 AM
go for it. its always better than being unemployed. =]

mvaters
08-06-2003, 01:42 PM
works two ways though. if theres a flat rate to fix something and you cant find the problem right away, you might only get 5 bucks an hour

DarkRaptor42
08-06-2003, 07:36 PM
this is carzy speak! I work for a dodge chrysler jeep dealership and Ive been doing it for about a month and a half now. Its good fun work. Its easy all you do is talk to people. AND you dont have to lie to anyone. The only people who lie are THE CUSTOMERS!!! customers lie more than anyone I have ever met. Its very frustrating some times. You make alot of money if youre good at it. Leave it at that.

weirdstyles.net
08-07-2003, 07:05 AM
read that article and youll understand. most american dealerships are no-haggleig straight forward dealerships. the price is there, take it or leave it. the commission is usually smaller at amer. dealers. Im looking at toyota so it may be a lil different. but ill remember what u said.

mvaters
08-07-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Weird Styles
read that article and youll understand. most american dealerships are no-haggleig straight forward dealerships. the price is there, take it or leave it. the commission is usually smaller at amer. dealers. Im looking at toyota so it may be a lil different. but ill remember what u said. i heard toyota is really bad for that. i was looking at a matrix XRS a while back. the 2003 model was cheaper than 2002 for whatever reason, and they wouldn't deal on the price of the new 2002 one. pretty gay if you ask me. thankfully, i never ended up buying one

DarkRaptor42
08-07-2003, 11:23 AM
toyotas all have set sticker prices. My dealership is part of an auto group so i can also sell fords and toyotas. The toyotas are all set at a certian price and very little or no negotiating. You make no money on them too. Some toyota dealerships ive heard "pack" all there cars so that they make more money and you feel like you can negotiate.

azn_romeox
08-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by ca18guy

Whoa, I just read the entire article. It was pretty good and informative.

When I buy a car I'm looking at invoice and calling the fleet manager. :-D
Woo hoo!

weirdstyles.net
08-07-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by azn_romeox
Whoa, I just read the entire article. It was pretty good and informative.

When I buy a car I'm looking at invoice and calling the fleet manager. :-D
Woo hoo!

guys like this are gonna make sure i dont get my new car...wtf