PDA

View Full Version : Career in Auto?

Silverbullet
08-04-2003, 08:36 PM
Hey all, i about to be a high school senior. As you can all tell, i'm looking at colleges and thinking about what i want to be when i grow up. I have an interest in import tuning, well, its a bigger interest than any other hobbies i have. I suppose an auto mech. would be along the line of that? But auto mechanics dont get paid much do they?

i've also looked slightly into auto body. Lots of people want their cars repainted and have body kits intalled and plus people get into accedents and someone's gotta repair the damage... Do auto body people make a lot?

As far as education is concerned... I want to goto college for 4 years. A real college, not a technical institute. What majors do you guys think would either of these fall into? I suppose mechanical engineering? the auto body i just kinda pulled out of my :mrmeph: so dunno about that.... any other career sugessions?

i think i'm more skilled in hands on things, and i am better in math than verbal if tht matters for any reason.

zero.counter
08-04-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Silverbullet
Hey all, i about to be a high school senior. As you can all tell, i'm looking at colleges and thinking about what i want to be when i grow up. I have an interest in import tuning, well, its a bigger interest than any other hobbies i have. I suppose an auto mech. would be along the line of that? But auto mechanics dont get paid much do they?

i've also looked slightly into auto body. Lots of people want their cars repainted and have body kits intalled and plus people get into accedents and someone's gotta repair the damage... Do auto body people make a lot?

As far as education is concerned... I want to goto college for 4 years. A real college, not a technical institute. What majors do you guys think would either of these fall into? I suppose mechanical engineering? the auto body i just kinda pulled out of my :mrmeph: so dunno about that.... any other career sugessions?

i think i'm more skilled in hands on things, and i am better in math than verbal if tht matters for any reason.
The automotive service market is filling up like the I.T. was when the dotbomb thing happened. The only thing that directly deals with fixing the body or internals would be a vocational 2 year degree, at least here in san antonio. 4 year engineering degrees deal with building engines and the science thereof.
Do some major research, if you are not sure right now or when you start school (soon), sign up as a liberal art major and take basics until you found your niche. Owning your own business might get you in the right direction (Business Management) for a tuner shop.

Hikarispeed
08-04-2003, 09:45 PM
I am a Mechanical Engineering student and my focus is on automotive. I am about to start my last year (finally) before I go out and look for a job in the automotive industry. Last year I joined my schools Formula SAE team. Students design, build, test, and race a open wheel race car. This has been the greatest experience in my life. You learn everything in this project (at the right school) from business management, design, building, tuning...

I was also given the opportunity to design a product for Yamaha because of alumni and a sponsorship deal. Many dedicated people involved with FSAE get jobs in automotive. Economy ain't so great so it is hard to get a Mech Eng job.

If your interested in Mech Eng, talk to your couseler about it, best place to start for a hs student. If your looking at a lot of money, Mech. Eng ain't for you, but makes good money.

http://www.sae.org/students/formula.htm