PDA

View Full Version : KYB AGX Install HELP - Pic

NightSlider
08-20-2010, 11:27 PM
I'm trying to install these struts along with sportline springs. I have everything in except for the spindle bolts! How do you compress the strut upwards to slide the bolts in. Is there a trick?

edit: pic is too fucking big

rob22
08-20-2010, 11:31 PM
4x4 or piece of strong wood had the same problem with my s14 agx's
have some one help you.

NightSlider
08-20-2010, 11:56 PM
i have a 4x4 but what do you mean? best place to put it?

Prime
08-21-2010, 12:02 AM
You using a spring compressor? Easiest way, I found. If not, you can try putting a jack on the bottom with a cloth to avoid scratching the housing... But really, spring compressor, best bet.

NightSlider
08-21-2010, 12:11 AM
how do you compress the spring while the top plate is mounted? not much room for a compressor up in there. maybe mount spindle bolts first, then compress and mount top portion last? and how would you jack up from the bottom of the housing? there's a lower control arm in the way. unbolt LCA?

my stock struts are so blown, it's ridiculous. can't wait to test these out. thanks for the help guys

Prime
08-21-2010, 12:21 AM
The compressors I used (rented) you could compress midway along the height of the spring itself, I didn't need to clasp over the top plate at all. Just compressed in the center and bottom, mounted the whole thing as an assembly, loosened the compressor off and mounted my wheels. As for the jack, that was honestly a guess. I didn't have to do that, and it's been 2 years since I've mounted my AGX's, so my memory on the area is a little fuzzy.

az_240
08-21-2010, 03:17 AM
Spring compressor is the safest way.... I've seen other "home made" stuff but I wouldnt recommend it.

hendeeze
08-21-2010, 11:44 PM
the spring compressor is for dismounting the tophat from the shock. If your trying to get the bottom 2 bolts to line up, then just aim the top, affix those first.
Then just jack up the lower control arm till they are close to alignment. Then tap in bolts and tighten.

NightSlider
08-22-2010, 09:27 PM
had to jack up both sides...DUH. thought i could just jack up one side and install one corner at a time. as soon as i put the other side on a jack stand, the holes pretty much fell in place. sorry to waste everybody's time. haha

nissanfreak317
08-24-2010, 10:34 AM
Haha, I remember doing the same thing back in the day. Glad you got it figured out.