PDA

View Full Version : *random thought* Nissan should bring back the 510

goodjuan
08-04-2003, 02:13 PM
After looking at this toyota someone posted...
http://www.toyota-ttc.co.jp/tokusou/gt-z/img/p2_04.gif

i thought, "damn...rwd, light, compact....Nissan should make one!" "...oh yeah...they did."

I drive a p10 g20, and I can't count how many times i wished that SR was pointed to the back.

A new dime? Who's with me? :D

*edit* doh!...can't get all of that pic to post.

KiDyNomiTe
08-04-2003, 04:04 PM
Umm 105% sure they wont make anything of that sort.

With the new breed of sports cars having +3.0L 6Cyl, a lightwieght rwd car wont come around. Especially with the 350Z, G35 Coupe, and soon to be skyline/r35. You cant ask them to make every single type of car.

deviousKA
08-04-2003, 04:34 PM
what was it i read a while back about nissan bringing back the datsun. not the 510 but the name anyways

Chernobyl
08-04-2003, 08:14 PM
Bringing the 510 back might not be a good idea for Nissan financially, but if they brought it back with a RWD layout and some of the classic lines, I'm sure there would be a tiny market for it somewhere. I'd highly consider buying one. I actually drew a rendition of a modern 510 a while back, I'll try to dig it up on my other computer and post it sometime. LOVE those cars! WANT one BAD..

fastpace
08-04-2003, 08:21 PM
man I love the 510, but I agree with Chernobyl. It will hurt nissan more than help them. Probally they should bring out a limited anniversary edition sometime in the future after nissan really gets out of financial problem.

wherezmytofu
08-04-2003, 08:39 PM
u know what u got to do, kidnap nissans daughter!

SaintlyCharBoy
08-04-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by KiDyNomiTe
Umm 105% sure they wont make anything of that sort.

no, they won't

but it'd be rad!

clean+510=sex

mvaters
08-04-2003, 10:32 PM
they wont build it because nissan would probably have to build it on a new frame and a brand new powerplant. the result would be an overpriced grocery getter

Bill Roberts
08-05-2003, 04:48 PM
Mazda did the Miata as an "up to date british style road racer" in a modern platform.

It was not that long ago that Nissan was in deep financial dog doodie and almost went to calling it curtains (close anyway) and since Mazda is basically "FORD", they can experiment unscathed if they bring out a loser.

That said...Nissan is doing its finest work...restablishing the market for the type autos it produces...which is the full gambit...plus the wide JDM variety.

I feel Nissan is still strung a shade short in the profit game to be able to do rolling concepts like Damilier/Chrysler and Ford/Mazda/Jag.

You know.. competition for the Mini, the Miada, Z series of BMW, would mean a 325HP RWD concept based on the low and boxy squat of the 69 skyline or the 510 type platform.

Unfortunantly in the name of safety..(Govt. controlled and required for US consumption, it would not fly at a bargin price.

If Nissan had a true roadster for off road purposes...for the sum of around 16K with optional trailer..not ava. for street driving..and it was top flight, 1600lbs and the best parts with a 1.6L 11K RPM motor...you bet they would sell a few thousand.

Car manufacturers are looking at at least 25K units per model to justify their existance...better yet, 60K units. Azz for every seat. You build it , it will sell. Go buy a brand new 1985 anything..they all sold.

All kinds of propsals are on the table of each manufacturer...one trying to outdo the other.

Nissan does need a magic bullett and I really hope the higher mid market grabs ahold of the new Maxima as the one to move that style forward. Maxima is a huge gamble for Nissan, pretty radical move...but I hope it works...if I could, I would buy one now...but I would rather it be RWD or 4WD.

I grew very fond of the 04 Max, but damn...why not RWD? Take away from Z sales?? Who cares....a 4 seat lux sedan with RWD sporting close to 300HP for 30K is the bomb IMHO.

I simply won't pay 30K for a front drive performace platform...would you?

Yes, a small roadster would sell...but it is a pain to make one sell 20 thousand cars...flood the market with them, buyewrs would come.

Look at that damned PT cruiser.