PDA

View Full Version : small legal what if question

kingkilburn
07-20-2010, 07:37 PM
So here is my problem.

My thirteen year old cousin came over for a few days. While she was here she asked my mom to buy her some facebook points to play with on farmville. My mom said yes and payed for ten dollars worth of points as a gift.
She proceeded purchased further points at a value of $125 with out permission. I think the app saved the credit card info so it was a simple two clicks to buy more points. She is not generally a malicious person so I don't think she meant to take money or if she realized what she was doing but I don't think it really matters in this instance.

My question is this; Who is responsible for the $125?

Her father is willing to pay for half.

My mom will not accept any thing but the full amount(she is willing to take payments if necessary).

I'm trying to be a neutral mediator(seems to be my role in the family) but every way I look at it he is responsible for his daughters unauthorized purchases.

D.Adams
07-20-2010, 07:44 PM
I would call them and see what can be done. I know if it was xbox they would say fuck you and deal with it . but maybe explain that she was a minor and didn't have permission to use the card for the points.

Zynga - Connecting the world through games (http://www.zynga.com/about/contact.php)

revat619
07-20-2010, 07:46 PM
he is responsible for his daughters unauthorized purchases.

Your mom allowed $10. Your cousin spent a total of $125. So your cousin's dad owes your mom $115 to cover the unauthorized spending.

HyperTek
07-20-2010, 07:49 PM
dont think that minor thing will hold up because an adult gave authorization to use the card.

So it is the girls fault, and the responsible parent her dad has to pay.

I do not think underage children should be on facebook btw. Too many potential teen dramas imo.

That sucks, hopefully it does not stirr up a feud within the family.

kingkilburn
07-20-2010, 07:58 PM
I do not think underage children should be on facebook btw. Too many potential teen dramas imo.

I completely agree. I have more than a hundred games she could have played for free as well.

That is the reason I am mediating. Otherwise :rl::rl::rl::rl:

D.Adams
07-20-2010, 08:00 PM
dont think that minor thing will hold up because an adult gave authorization to use the card.

So it is the girls fault, and the responsible parent her dad has to pay.

EHHHHH maybe have the mom say that the kid took the card without asking and spent the money. I know its scamming the system but if i was in her shoes i would be beating some ones ass.

GabeS14
07-20-2010, 08:19 PM
I dont see what the issue is:::
Have her call the credit card company and let them
Know it was an unauthorized charge(thats what is was anyways)
They refund the amount and everyone is happy!!!!

Very simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saleaf
07-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Dont allow little kids to play with your credit card numbers.... Problem solved.

kingkilburn
07-20-2010, 08:27 PM
The kid never had the card. The app saved the card info that my mom entered..

The app is total bs. We checked the app out and it is pretty bs. They made it way to easy to charge the card again. She still should have been aware of what she was doing though.

kingkilburn
07-20-2010, 08:29 PM
EHHHHH maybe have the mom say that the kid took the card without asking and spent the money. I know its scamming the system but if i was in her shoes i would be beating some ones ass.

All the info is all ready out there. She was very up front about it and expected the same in return.

amdnivram
07-20-2010, 08:49 PM
I dont see what the issue is:::
Have her call the credit card company and let them
Know it was an unauthorized charge(thats what is was anyways)
They refund the amount and everyone is happy!!!!

Very simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i would go with this, thats what credit card customer service is for.

S14DB
07-20-2010, 09:01 PM
Underachiever: FarmVille user runs up £900 debt | Money | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/apr/07/farmville-user-debt-facebook)

Her dad is responsible for her actions. He even admitted responsibility. Even offering to pay half is not a plea deal. He just agreed to pay up.

Next time buy a gift card at Walmart or 7-11.

Z_Spool
07-21-2010, 10:17 AM
...Next time tell her to go run through the sprinklers, ride a bike or play with some sidewalk chalk like a normal kid.

Fixed.:werd:

FRpilot
07-21-2010, 10:30 AM
legal question over $125? dad should be responsible for all of it if you can't get it worked out with the credit card company.

this is why i'm not up for leaving credit card info for "easy payments" especially on xbox live. i rather buy the prepaid card for single use.

g6civcx
07-21-2010, 10:37 AM
Legally infants under the age of consent in your state cannot be held liable for anything. The most you can do is try to go after the parent or legal guardian.

Cousin - cannot be liable for her actions so she owes $0

Father - should be liable for the entire amount, but the law varies from state to state so I don't know.

Mom - should call her credit card company and file an unauthorised transaction report. She should not be liable for any amount greater than $10.

DALAZ_68
07-21-2010, 11:07 AM
all of this over farmville...LOL

driftsilvias13
07-21-2010, 11:11 AM
What kind of father is he to only say he would pay half?!

Daniel.
07-21-2010, 11:50 AM
Honestly if your family ends up feuding over something as ridiculous as this then you guys deserve it.

Dad should cough up the entire amount and teach his kid the meaning of discipline.

Your mom, should file that claim already.

LimeLite Racing
07-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Who the fuck would spend money on farmville in the first place? Tell her to buy more car parts.

kingkilburn
07-21-2010, 12:05 PM
Really I started this thread to see if my logic was off because of who was involved.

It would seem I was right.

Thank you all for the advice.

P.S.
He apologized and agreed to pay up after cooling off for a day.

/thread

SlideWell
07-21-2010, 02:42 PM
the child is under 18, take full advantage of the law and pay the bill while you spank her bare ass with a leather belt. bet she wont do it again.

TheWolf
07-21-2010, 03:17 PM
what is farmville? sounds like the worst game ever

kingkilburn
07-21-2010, 03:52 PM
It is. Total garbage.

http://www.southwestern.edu/studentlife/orgs/megaphone/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/farmville.jpg

HyperTek
07-21-2010, 04:16 PM
soo garbage i wish i had came up with the idea to charge for facebook apps id be rollin in money

aznpoopy
07-21-2010, 04:39 PM
+1 have mom dispute charges, the end

thats the awesome side of using a credit card

sleep
07-22-2010, 09:58 PM
+1 have mom dispute charges, the end

thats the awesome side of using a credit card

/thread.....