PDA

View Full Version : Essentials in Lowering an S14..

klutchkhemist
07-17-2010, 10:24 AM
Just bought a s14 and was wondering what i will need to make the car durable. I am getting megan coilovers today. Since i am on a budget, i am looking for what is a MUST in lowering my car now. A friend of mine says front/rear sway bars, power brace, strut bars, and bushings. Another friend is telling me inner and out tie rods and tension rods. Eventually I will be getting ALL of it but since im on a budget, After the MUST parts, i will be getting piece by piece. Hopefully this thread makes sense...haha... Thanks for the help in advance..

FaLKoN240
07-17-2010, 10:44 AM
WTH are they talking about?

First thing you should get are toe and RUCA arms to adjust your alignment.

Otherwise you're going to be going through tires like no one's business.

Just bought a s14 and was wondering what i will need to make the car durable. I am getting megan coilovers today. Since i am on a budget, i am looking for what is a MUST in lowering my car now. A friend of mine says front/rear sway bars, power brace, strut bars, and bushings. Another friend is telling me inner and out tie rods and tension rods. Eventually I will be getting ALL of it but since im on a budget, After the MUST parts, i will be getting piece by piece. Hopefully this thread makes sense...haha... Thanks for the help in advance..

arsenics14
07-17-2010, 11:18 AM
If you dont want to be going through tires, rear upper control arms, and toe arms like mentioned, possibly tension rods for the front, this way you can adjust the alignment and can set the car up for what you want to do..
Strut bars will help stiffen up the car and prevent some flexing of the chassis

upsdude
07-17-2010, 11:58 AM
don't forget the alignment

klutchkhemist
07-17-2010, 03:26 PM
thanks you guys, thats why i thought to ask the kind people of zilvia for help...hahaha

240Shwag
07-17-2010, 04:25 PM
Everything state from post #2 and down is the correct advice.
RUCAs and toe arms. You can usually find a package deal on these.

S13/S14 RUCAs are different, even on their mounts. Make sure you get the right ones!

!Zar!
07-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Yeah man, you only need rucas and toe arms. Once you get those on, just get an alignment.

All you need to do to the car its self is remove the fender liner and tuck the harness.

miravete
07-17-2010, 06:29 PM
im curious too...

rucas for rear
toe arms for front?

:)

punxva
07-17-2010, 10:45 PM
no toe arms for rear, you adjust your toe in the front with the tie rods and camber adjustment is usually on the top of the coilover if you get decent ones. Actually if you get anything other than tien basics

FaLKoN240
07-17-2010, 11:02 PM
no toe arms for rear,

wat ?

punxva
07-18-2010, 01:42 AM
i missed a comma lol, it should read no, toe arms for the rear

fliprayzin240sx
07-18-2010, 03:05 AM
Tension rod up front is not exactly needed...I'd go for the rear RUCA and toe rod first. Once you get those 2 and you still have money, then check the condition of your tension rod and tie rod up front. Depending on their condition, will dictate what you need next.

Most of the time, folks change tension rods because their bushings are shot. Most alignment shop doesnt really align caster unless you tell them to. Tie rod up front, the stock rods itself should be good, I'd change the rod ends for the same reason as above. Bushings go bad and folks have a tendency to just upgrade to aftermarket sets.