PDA

View Full Version : Halp! How bad does this frame rail rust look to you?

dubbs.
07-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Looking to buy a car soon, from Chicago. It's from the midwest so I'm expecting some rust, what do you think? Worth it?

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g69/dubbsEK/rust2.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g69/dubbsEK/rust.jpg

NINJASPY
07-12-2010, 11:05 PM
don't buy a car you can't see in person.
hit it with a hammer/screw driver and find out.
otherwise don't buy a car with rust unless you don't care about it. but then again, you are asking so that means you care.

worth it? what do you mean? you don't mention price etc etc... NOT WORTH IT.

dubbs.
07-12-2010, 11:07 PM
For 3k and there's still solid metal behind it.

brizanden
07-12-2010, 11:16 PM
im the kind of person that always travels out of the rust belt to buy my cars being in ohio almost all 240s have rust here. dude travel a bit find a car with no rust trust me its better in the long run.

NINJASPY
07-12-2010, 11:26 PM
don't buy a car you can't see in person.
hit it with a hammer/screw driver and find out.
otherwise don't buy a car with rust unless you don't care about it. but then again, you are asking so that means you care.

worth it? what do you mean? you don't mention price etc etc... NOT WORTH IT.

3k for what???? frame rails with surface rust and promises of solid metal behind it? :ugh:

dubbs.
07-12-2010, 11:30 PM
3k for what???? frame rails with surface rust and promises of solid metal behind it? :ugh:

You're right, I need to keep looking.

NINJASPY
07-12-2010, 11:53 PM
I was asking what 3k would get you... you don't mention what car it is, all you mention is the price, and the rust.

If it was ferrari for 3k with rust it would be different. Or if it has 10k in mods. etc etc etc!!!

You have answered your own questions. You obviously don't know how to shop for a car. You should have a friend help you. Not a forum.

GSXRJJordan
07-13-2010, 12:16 AM
Frame rail rust doesn't go all the way through, some elbow grease and a coat of Por-15 and you'll be fine. Check floorboards and trunk though.

I would say the rest of the package should be pretty compelling to pay $3k for. If it's stock in typical S-chassis condition, keep looking or drop the price in half.

dubbs.
07-13-2010, 12:19 AM
I have a number of people looking with me. The car has a cage, decent coilovers and various suspension parts. Rebuilt, low mileage KA and Origin overfenders all around with decent fitting Rotas. Rattle canned of course.