PDA

View Full Version : Welding a flex pipe onto SR downpipe?

hdz123
07-12-2010, 02:32 PM
Hey I was wondering if I could weld a flexpipe onto an sr downpipe and where to put it? I have searched but only found stuff about greddy and megan downpipes, not the stock sr one. all help is appreciated

VNG704
07-12-2010, 02:48 PM
I would have it welded right after the bend in the downpipe.

I need to do this to my car too. If you haven't bought the flex, I'd just buy one online with a flex already on it. Found one for under $100. You'll end up paying more than that for a flex pipe plus labor of welding it on your dp.

edit: didn't read the whole post. stock dp?

GSXRJJordan
07-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Why would you weld a flex pipe into your stock downpipe? That's retarded, there's no reason to put any money into the stock downpipe.

To answer your question, it's more difficult than normal since the downpipe is cast... welding to cast iron sucks.

hdz123
07-12-2010, 03:19 PM
thats why i was asking. ive seen those ebay ones with the flex's in them already but heard they hang too low so im here for suggestions

H_K_S
07-12-2010, 03:23 PM
This is what I'm most likely going to buy because PBM is just good like that. Well I think this is similar to what your talking about? Correct me if I'm wrong.
POWERED BY MAX: ????? Exhaust Parts (http://www.gtfactory.jp/cms/page.php?19)

HAWAII
07-12-2010, 04:58 PM
if you know how to weld, it's fine. It's harder to weld aluminum even with a TIG vs cast with a MIG. If you don't know how , just go to a muffler shop and get it cut and welded, they would probably sell you some used OEM flex for cheap. Any OEM's flex are more robust than the aftermarket flex that you can buy online.

hdz123
07-12-2010, 06:56 PM
what about the megan downpipe w/ flexpipe? i can get it for 100

D.Adams
07-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Just spend the cash and get one with a flex in it. It isn't worth the time and money to weld one to a stock down pipe. If your in a bind for cash get one of these

Circuit Sports DPU-0134B-HS 3in Downpipe w/Flex Pipe (http://www.frsport.com/Circuit-Sports-DPU-0134B-HS-3in-Downpipe-w-Flex-Pipe_p_12962.html)

Megan Racing 3" SS Stainless Steel Downpipe SR20DET w/ Flex Section (http://www.frsport.com/Megan-Racing-3--SS-Stainless-Steel-Downpipe-SR20DET-w--Flex-Section_p_1299.html)

But if you have the cash get one of these

POWERED BY MAX: ????? Exhaust Parts (http://www.gtfactory.jp/cms/page.php?19)

I don't run a flex pipe on my SR because it's solid mounted and i don't get flex.

hdz123
07-13-2010, 02:02 AM
okay so ive been hearing i should run a flexpipe on for a bottom mount t2, but is it necessary? supposedly it helps the manifold from cracking?

s14unimog
07-13-2010, 09:25 AM
its a precautionary measurement to prolong/avoid damage to a tubular manifold. Depending on the manifold, and the rest of your exhaust system, it can help prevent premature damage/failure. I ran one on my Ka-T for a few years but due to their size, usually coupled to a 3" pipe, they tend to be the first thing to contact the ground, so I find them more trouble than they are worth. I've always run good engine/tranny mounts and poly hangers without problems. If you have a stock cast manifold don't even consider it.

hdz123
07-13-2010, 10:58 AM
ill be running either an isis v2 or just an ebay (i know its temporary) but i have a ka, so I cant use a cast iron. I don't understand why they havent made a cast iron manifold for the ka yet...for bottom mount t2's. So is it worth getting one? or just keep stock sr dp? Im gunna be dropped, and if needed ill get the dp modded to tuck more by a muffler shop

also since i cant post in the for sale or want to buy section, i also have a t3 turbo and td04 for sale

GSXRJJordan
07-13-2010, 01:28 PM
its a precautionary measurement to prolong/avoid damage to a tubular manifold. Depending on the manifold, and the rest of your exhaust system, it can help prevent premature damage/failure. I ran one on my Ka-T for a few years but due to their size, usually coupled to a 3" pipe, they tend to be the first thing to contact the ground, so I find them more trouble than they are worth. I've always run good engine/tranny mounts and poly hangers without problems. If you have a stock cast manifold don't even consider it.

Yeah, why would you run a stock downpipe on a tubular manifold? A downpipe and elbow should be one of your first mods, and buying a downpipe with a flex section already in it is a good idea.

On another note, I pounded my floor up a little bit on the S14 and was able to get my downpipe tucked above the frame rail, so the lowest part of the exhaust was my resonator, right by the tranny mount. No cracked elbows (that's what always broke for me).

s14unimog
07-13-2010, 01:43 PM
I don't understand why they havent made a cast iron manifold for the ka yet...for bottom mount t2's. So is it worth getting one? or just keep stock sr dp? Im gunna be dropped, and if needed ill get the dp modded to tuck more by a muffler shop

also since i cant post in the for sale or want to buy section, and i need all stock oil lines/coolant, bolts and fittings, and inlet/let pipes for the sr t25.

check out JGS, they make a lot of great stuff for KA-T's

Yeah, why would you run a stock downpipe on a tubular manifold? A downpipe and elbow should be one of your first mods, and buying a downpipe with a flex section already in it is a good idea.

On another note, I pounded my floor up a little bit on the S14 and was able to get my downpipe tucked above the frame rail, so the lowest part of the exhaust was my resonator, right by the tranny mount. No cracked elbows (that's what always broke for me).

Personally, I've been lucky so I've never had a problem with any of my parts. I've been running a Tomei manifold, GReddy dump, and Blitz DP for a number of years now... I really think it comes down to mounts...

hdz123
07-13-2010, 04:45 PM
alright thats all i needed to know. thanks for the help this thread can be locked

!Zar!
07-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Keep in mind, even if you have a flex pipe, if your downpipe is still physically coming in contact with the ground, it places stress on your turbo, and manifold.

hdz123
07-13-2010, 09:55 PM
Keep in mind, even if you have a flex pipe, if your downpipe is still physically coming in contact with the ground, it places stress on your turbo, and manifold.

true but flex will help out

!Zar!
07-13-2010, 10:29 PM
It won't help out one bit if the downpipe is slapping the ground.

It only helps reduce damage from exhaust vibrations/engine movement.

s14unimog
07-14-2010, 11:37 AM
^truth... I assure you no flex section will prevent damage from impact. Also an exhaust system resting against the underbody is like a giant leverage point on the manifold/turbo assembly...