PDA

View Full Version : sr20det electronics reccomendations, gauges, turbo timers

wheres_da_cheese
07-25-2003, 03:24 PM
Hey, I just got my s13 redtop installed in my 95 240 and I am now needing to get gauges and a turbo timer. I was wondering from experience which brands ya'll think are the best. Im looking at either the Greddy or Blitz Turbo Timers and I am really liking the Blitz BLM gauges. Im thinkin about getting the blitz EGT and Boost, but they are on the pricey side. If there are good quality cheap gauges out there let me know, because i have yet to stumble accross some.

thanks,
Noah

ckyfish
07-25-2003, 03:34 PM
turbo timer is a waste of money for anyone who isnt lazy imo, get some autometers if your low on cash, boost, egt and/or oil pressure

Dousan_PG
07-25-2003, 03:38 PM
i suggest highly

oil temp
oil pressure
water temp
egt
boost

Rustyflex6
07-25-2003, 04:53 PM
What's egt???

S15 Powered
07-25-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Rustyflex6
What's egt???
Exhaust Gas Temp. - It's basically an air/fuel guage that's actually kind of accurate.

drift freaq
07-25-2003, 05:28 PM
quote....[turbo timer is a waste of money for anyone who isnt lazy imo]

:rolleyes:

well imo turbo timers are a handy device that makes it easier for your turbo to cool down and you not have to sit there and wait for it. It has nothing to do with being lazy. I can tell you with first hand experience that when you need to be somewhere and don't have time to sit there with your engine idling before you shut it off a turbo timer is a god send . Lock the car set your alarm and walk away . Turbo timer shuts your engine down when your turbo is cooled down and your not pushing being late to a meeting or class or appointment.
Turbo timers are just plain common sense.:boink: :coolugh: :bow:

Rustyflex6
07-25-2003, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the info:hammer:

Kreator
07-25-2003, 06:28 PM
Autometer is the standard for accuracy... otherwise u'd not be seeing it on all the sub 10 drag cars. Expensive gauges are more accurate, but overkill for an average application.

Gauges i have:

3" greddy boost (mech)
Autometer A/F (elec)
Autometer Oil Psi (elec)
Autometer Oil Temp (elec)
Summit Fuel Psi (mech)

Eventually want to get water temp and egt

tougebear
07-25-2003, 06:46 PM
Personally like Omori meters. (http://www.omorimeter.co.jp/)

Simple and functional.

MovinUp-1
07-25-2003, 09:09 PM
Blitz and Greddy gauges are very nice both in looks and in quality. I like them over Autometers for street cars because they are backlit like a factory gauge. Much easier to see at night than the Autometers that just have a little light in front of the face at the top.

wheres_da_cheese
07-28-2003, 02:18 AM
Thanks for the help, i think i am going to go with the blitz timer and blitz blm gauges. The gauges look really good and the thing about not being able to see the autometers at night doesnt really attract me towards those.

Thanks

Noah

wheres_da_cheese
07-28-2003, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by James
I recommend a boost gauge, nothing more.

Judging by the fact you need to ask what gauges+turbo timer to buy I'm going to go out on a limb and say you have an average application.
If you want to blow more money (especially to be "JDM -tyte"), that's up to you.

By the way, i didnt need to ask what to buy, i was just getting reccomendations from personal experience (information a little less biased than what i read from the manufacturer's website) that is all.

thanks again for the help
Noah

Fibercus
07-29-2003, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by James
Gauges I have:
Autometer boost
Autometer EGT
Autometer Oil pressure
Autometer Water temp

F*ck paying 3-4 times more (on each one) to be "JDM-Tyte" and "look flashy".
Reminder: gauges are easily stolen by pathetic ricers.

Autometer is the ish.

Word to yo momma :D

Negreac
07-29-2003, 07:08 AM
Why would you need a water temp gauge? What's wrong w/ the stock one?

Dousan_PG
07-29-2003, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Negreac
Why would you need a water temp gauge? What's wrong w/ the stock one?

stock is xtremely inaccurate
before the stock gauge moves a LITTLE you might have already changed A LOT in temp. stock is NOT accurate

uiuc240
07-29-2003, 07:55 AM
There are soooo many people that need to get schooled on gauges. I try to do this every time, but it just doesn't stick.

First off, the stock water temp gauge is completely worthless. It stays in the same place (middle) while your engine fluctuates from 140-215 degrees. Not my idea of a good time. My guage shows the difference between 180 and 185...and it's just a "crappy" Autometer. $50 and it's perfect.

As for the rest...get Boost, Oil Pressure and Oil Temp if you have the money. Get the EGT and whatnot later on when you actually have the ability to TUNE your engine. While you're running stock boost, or just a boost controller, you can't adjust fuel maps or anything like that. So basically it's worthless to know what's going on because you can't do anything about it besides let off the gas. :rolleyes:

And about turbo timers:

If you have a water cooled turbo and didn't just make a 1/4 mile pull, there is no need for a turbo timer. Think I'm crazy? No. Even if you just drove "hard", all you have to do is drive sane for the last minute of your drive and you'll be good to go. Also, if you use synthetic oil, it's even less likely to break up and coke on you. Finally, if you have a water cooled BALL BEARING turbo, it's even MORE resistant to hot shutoff. A turbo timer is a hundred bucks that you could easily spend on soooo many other things. Like the aforementioned gauges...or good motor oil and gear lube...or stainless brake lines...or...or...or....it goes on and on.

Turbo Timers = :ghey:

Eric

ckyfish
07-29-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by uiuc240

Turbo Timers = :ghey:

:aw:

uiuc240
07-29-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by ckyfish
:aw:

WTF? Why did you use that smilie? That means "Ack, wait!" Are you disagreeing? Please say something more if you disagree. If not, please use a different smilie.

Eric

Yoshi
07-29-2003, 04:09 PM
I think there should be a little sidenote on Autometer. I like their gauges are more than decent EXCEPT for the total POS known as their A/F gauge! I HATE mine, everyone I've ever known that has wasted their money on one feels the same way.

uiuc240
07-29-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Yoshi
I think there should be a little sidenote on Autometer. I like their gauges are more than decent EXCEPT for the total POS known as their A/F gauge! I HATE mine, everyone I've ever known that has wasted their money on one feels the same way.

Agreed. This is why I don't have one...nor do I recommend it. If you really need to know what your O2 sensor is doing, just hook up a lead to a voltmeter and use that to check it.

Eric