PDA

View Full Version : Wangan Midnight

Jim96SC2
07-24-2003, 10:53 PM
Was Wangan Midnight a real show, or was it just a video game? I looked around, but couldn't find anything, not even on Kazaa except video games and lame personal websites.

DRFT
07-24-2003, 11:01 PM
I think it is a gae because i have seen it around. I think it came out recently. not sure if it is also a anime/show.

dstyle
07-24-2003, 11:11 PM
I was told that Wangan Midnight is an anime that came out a while back, but it wasn't as popular as initial D was. But you can still see the little book series of wangan midnight still around.

mistaanime
07-25-2003, 12:21 AM
played the ame on arcade while in santa cruz..it's lke the arcade version of Toyko Extreme for PSX2 and dreamcast..but still inital D ownz.

dstyle
07-25-2003, 12:27 AM
oh yea you can also find the intro to the cartoon of wangan midnight on kazaa. i cant remember the name of the file but i have it downloaded.

ive played wangan midnight a few times but i think Battle Gear 3 is the best arcade drifting game.

Cthulhu
07-25-2003, 12:39 AM
I think that intro you're talking about is a preview/intro for the game, maybe the ps2 version, of wangan midnight. Also, it's a pretty long manga series, but not an anime.

As far as the arcade goes,
Battle Gear 3 > Wangan Midnight!

Jim96SC2
07-25-2003, 12:32 PM
Manga as in comic book, or as in the cartoon production company?

phatdood9
07-25-2003, 06:54 PM
I beleive its a show, rather new, I remember a year or so back seeing a preview for the anime, some white R34 and other cars

OneVYeah
07-25-2003, 09:07 PM
My bro and I have the game for Ps2, and the Wangan Midnight Movie *grin*

method2833
07-25-2003, 11:46 PM
Ive played the game at dave and busters its very gay and a waste of money

zero.counter
07-26-2003, 08:07 PM
Everybody Wayne Chung tonight!

boro240
07-26-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by zero.counter
Everybody Wayne Chung tonight!
thats WANG Chung.

zero.counter
07-27-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by boro240
thats WANG Chung.
Hey Boro, get bent! :)

Kimi
03-31-2005, 10:22 AM
This is an really old thread, but I use it becouse it's about the Wangan Midnight. I have been searching for the Wangan Midnight movies for a long time now. Does anybody know were I could order any of these movies?

WanganRunner
03-31-2005, 10:59 AM
I know that it was a manga series in which the main character drove a 240z.

As for the movies, I've never seen DVD's for them, either official or pirate. I imagine that you could source them directly from Japan, if you could find someone who'd look around for you (Tokyopop will generally, on special request, get anything you want).

The Japanese original DVD's will be Region 2, but they should have English subtitles available.

HyperTek
03-31-2005, 11:03 AM
Behold!! http://www.v8zcar.com/s30z/wangan.htm

Super bad ass car...

Antihero983
03-31-2005, 11:49 AM
holy shit that thing is nuts.....

and as far as the game, its the same thing as Tokyo Xtreme Racer for dreamcast, and theres a new one out that i play called maximum tune, where you can actually tune your cars (i have a 680 hp S15) and the game prints out a card that you can put back into the machine in order to resume your progress. and yeah the boss is that S30 but the blackbird isnt a porche in this game, a new Fairlady Z is.

ZK
03-31-2005, 12:42 PM
I think people talked about this before.

Wangan Midnight is a manga (comic book) series. It came out before Initial D and it is about high speed highway racing in high powered sports cars. It centers around the "Devil Z"...

The main Character, Akio Asakura, is driving a Fairlady 300ZX with his friends in the beginning of the manga. While on the Highway, a Porsche Akio sees the Porsche and tries to race against it, pushing his car to the limit, but he can't even nearly keep up with the Blackbird. Realizing this, he decides to find a car that can match up against it. Later on he visits his mechanic friend at a junkyard and spots an S30 Fairlady on top of a heap of cars. The two look into it and discover that it has an L28 engine, and is driveable. Akio buys it and takes it out for a ride, however the mechanic soon learns that this is no ordinary Z and is actually a Legendary car known as "Devil Z" (Akuma no Z in Japanese) The car is considered haunted because the last owners died from crashing it, yet it was rebuilt again and again. It also possesses amazing speed, but requires otherworld handling. While on the highway in his new Z, Akio goes head to head with the Blackbird and can keep up in terms of speed, but the Blackbird cuts him off at a turning arrow sign and Akio crashes into it. The car is eventually fixed again (By Akio and his mechanic friend), but the sister of the last owner of the Devil Z begs Akio not to drive it any more, saying that the car possesses it's driver and is dangerous.

There was also a live-action TV series and a bunch of movies "based" on the comic series. As well as video games and some toys. Very popular in Japan.

SimpleSexy180
03-31-2005, 01:14 PM
doesnt the battle gear game have an ebrake?

kazuo
03-31-2005, 01:30 PM
No animation, comic book and some really old, cheesy live-action movies that are tons of fun to watch.

The game's ok. It's kinda fun.

HyperTek
03-31-2005, 04:52 PM
turn up the music in the options menu.. and play... hypes me up everytime, unless there is a crowd of sweaty fob teen boys hogging the machines.. ewwwwww

RiversideS13
03-31-2005, 08:22 PM
I read the comic book.... unlike initial D is all about driving skills...it is more about tuner's battle and their faith over the driver and machine. Basically it is about some old tuners got their tunning spirit picked up again once they meet this guy show up with the known "devil Z". Whoever drives the "devil Z" all end up death beside this young guy. the young guy with the Z had picked many hardcore racer's attention ...

I think the funny thing of the story is that most of young drivers has to work in the drinking bar including the main characters (the Asian style..that kind that you could earn money fast and easy) in order to fix up their cars.

Kimi
03-31-2005, 11:19 PM
I know that it was a manga series in which the main character drove a 240z.

As for the movies, I've never seen DVD's for them, either official or pirate. I imagine that you could source them directly from Japan, if you could find someone who'd look around for you (Tokyopop will generally, on special request, get anything you want).

The Japanese original DVD's will be Region 2, but they should have English subtitles available.
Thanks WanganRunner :)
I'll contact Tokyopop and ask if they can help me with these movies.

I have a S30 myself and thats why I'm intersted in these movies.

WanganRunner
04-05-2005, 01:54 PM
Is the car in the manga supposed to be turbocharged?

I like the Z in the bottom 2 panes of the group of 4 in that link, with the deep-dish Watanabes and the fender mirrors.

Makes me want an S30.

superduner
05-31-2008, 07:24 PM
WANGAN MIDNIGHT . it is indeed an anime i believe its up to episode 12 cant wait till episode 13 VEOH.com or crunchyroll.com

origin_s135
05-31-2008, 08:57 PM
WANGAN MIDNIGHT . it is indeed an anime i believe its up to episode 12 cant wait till episode 13 VEOH.com or crunchyroll.com

you have a tardy pass, this thread was done 3 years ago. :keke:

lflkajfj12123
05-31-2008, 10:27 PM
zombie thread is out for blood