PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with Initial D?

SiNFuL
07-24-2003, 03:01 PM
Hey guys, just washing my face in the bathroom and it struck me; whats wrong with Intial D? Everyone seems to think its FnF for Drifting and crap and whenever a person brings up a discussion on drifting people start bringing up on how bad Initial D is and thats how they started. Well hey, thats what got me into it. I mean the whole concept is cool, now obviously just randomly trying to fly down a mountain at 100mph is stupid. But i mean the style of Initial D beats the crap out of street racing today. They setup radios and check mountain passes making sure its safe as hell, we dont even do that. Alright, well just curious on what your guys's opinions on this are.
-Galen

Dousan_PG
07-24-2003, 03:03 PM
fanboy!!

hahaha
j/k
nothing. its fun to watch but lame at the same time.

SiNFuL
07-24-2003, 03:04 PM
haha, whats lame?
-Galen

Dousan_PG
07-24-2003, 03:06 PM
the gutter riding, water technique, um..alot the drifting they show...
all sorts of stuff
its stupid.
but its still entertaining.

SiNFuL
07-24-2003, 03:08 PM
haha. k.
-Galen

Dousan_PG
07-24-2003, 03:10 PM
oh the worst about initial d

sil80s haha
every newbie wants a sil80 after watching that..its funny.

Yoshi
07-24-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by dousan36

sil80s haha
every newbie wants a sil80 after watching that..its funny.

DING! DING!
We have a winner!
Initial D kinda ruined the mystique and originality of the rare sileighty.

Toahk
07-24-2003, 03:21 PM
And remember the speed on initial D is KPM, not MPH. So when you see him flying down the hill at 100 kilometers per hour its not the same =)

Stee Flo
07-24-2003, 03:48 PM

sil80s haha
every newbie wants a sil80 after watching that..its funny. Yeah true, but i think its worse for the ae86 crowd. More people wanna be takumu so they go out and buy a "hachiroku".

lotusdrift
07-24-2003, 04:08 PM
Its just the typical 'holier than though' attitude on the internet.

people think they are original because they were into this stuff 5 years ago rather than 1 year ago, even though it was huge even back then. For some reason people can't like something if its really popular, which is just as bad as liking something just because it is popular.

That doesn't mean people can't hate initial D, but personally its the only anime I have ever liked (and I really love it).

...and its a cartoon, so of course it has a bunch of 'stupid' stuff in it, what does everyone expect from it? If you want REAL drifting watch a drift competition or something :)

Steeles
07-24-2003, 04:17 PM
Personally I like the series its entertaining.. my problem with it is when the uneducated use it as a WHY to go try and drift. ;)

07-24-2003, 04:24 PM
i think initial d's great. it's really fun to watch. of course a lot of the sh1t in it is bs, but whatever.. it's a cartoon for our entertainment. just like dragonball or slam dunk, hehe. yea, there are some lame parts like the dirt drop and what not, but i guess they have to find things that are "cool" or "different". but whatever. it's an anime. it's really entertaining. to me at least, hehe.

bobmeindertsma
07-24-2003, 04:56 PM
what is this initial D shiat?

dstyle
07-24-2003, 05:13 PM
I think initial D is okay because one of the few animes with hooked up cars and drifting. the only thing i dont like is it made all sorts of people want to go out and get freakin hachiroku that is white/black. but other than that, its good old entertainment. i like wangan midnight too.

RBS14
07-24-2003, 05:48 PM
its mildly entertaining.... my biggest beef with it is that it doesn't look real enuf.... the drifting that is. The cars look tight but once they initiate a drift (which looks fake) they hold the exact line throughout the corner and the front wheels hardly move at all throughout the drifts. A friend of mine told me that the reason the wheels stay countered the same throughout the whole corner is because they are "perfect" drifts. :jerkit: Sure, guy! I'd rather watch real drift videos.

SiNFuL
07-24-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by norcal_drifter
And remember the speed on initial D is KPM, not MPH. So when you see him flying down the hill at 100 kilometers per hour its not the same =)

It's funny you mention that; i just noticed that last night. 100kmh is about 60mph. So its actually not that fast. They make it look scarier than it really is(obviously for entertainment...). I usually take mountain passes at 80+mph all the time(not sideways yet tho, need real track practice first). Well cool replies guys just wanted your opinions. Feel free to keep posting; I'll keep reading.
-Galen

P.S. On the everyone buying Hachi rokus; I think thats tight. People buy some old *** car and practice driving with it. Beats the hell out of people all buying civics and slapping all these stickers and NOS on it and then making racing look pathetic and stupid. Id rather see a black/white hachi roku than a orange w/ green sticker civic w/ a huge exhaust going nowehere and waking up the whole neighborhood. JMHO

Dousan_PG
07-24-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by SiNFuL
P.S. On the everyone buying Hachi rokus; I think thats tight. People buy some old *** car and practice driving with it. Beats the hell out of people all buying civics and slapping all these stickers and NOS on it and then making racing look pathetic and stupid. Id rather see a black/white hachi roku than a orange w/ green sticker civic w/ a huge exhaust going nowehere and waking up the whole neighborhood. JMHO

um not its not
its a oooold car. old car needs LOTS of work
you dont drift stock hachis..why? THEY ARE THE SUCK FOR HANDLING!! have you driven one? NO POWER!! sooo damn slow!
there were NO panda hachis inthe USA!!!

exhausts on hachi is a bumblebee most ofo the time. IVE HEARD IT i go to the track. most of them understeer, a lot of those guys are GOOD though and do great but not the same or as easy as a s13.

anyways, sounds like you watch too much intial d. welcome to the real world, sinful.

SiNFuL
07-24-2003, 06:14 PM
ouch man.
-Galen

Dousan_PG
07-24-2003, 06:17 PM
sorry had to shoot you down
you were acting the typical 'initial d boy' mentality

there's a reason hachis are SO EXPENSIVE now..way above their real blue book value.

SiNFuL
07-24-2003, 06:18 PM
Er..second thought. Your post doesnt make too much sense. You talk about how ****ty hachi rokus are? so why do you car if people that are "wannabes" buy em? I'm just saying a stock-looking hachi beats a riced out civic any day.
_Galen

tougebear
07-24-2003, 06:20 PM
There's nothing wrong with Initial D.

I learned all my drift techniques from the series. Now, I'm always at the top 10 in the D1.

Dousan_PG
07-24-2003, 06:20 PM
dont compare apples and oranges

stock hachi
is just as good as a
stock civic

yes stock hachis suck
ask any owner. they are great for learning because they show you your errors 10 fold

SiNFuL
07-24-2003, 06:44 PM
Alright you proved my point. hehe, thanks. Cool stuff guys.
-Galen

AKADriver
07-24-2003, 07:38 PM
um not its not
its a oooold car. old car needs LOTS of work
you dont drift stock hachis..why? THEY ARE THE SUCK FOR HANDLING!! have you driven one? NO POWER!! sooo damn slow!
there were NO panda hachis inthe USA!!!

exhausts on hachi is a bumblebee most ofo the time. IVE HEARD IT i go to the track. most of them understeer, a lot of those guys are GOOD though and do great but not the same or as easy as a s13.

Yeah. 4A-GE sounds a LOT like a ZC or a B16A. Very similar exhaust note. I like it, most people call it "bumblebee" or whatever, they're just looking for an excuse to hate Hondas most of the time.

Handling is like... an '80s sporty econocar. Like an old GTI or Civic Si hatch. Except unlike those you can sorta steer with the throttle.

Also I don't see why it's better to have idiots driving a cool almost-classic car with tricky handling, instead of a modern common plain-jane car with "safe" handling. Then again I'll never understand why people are so personally offended by rice. Who cares? OMG AN UGLY CAR, MY DAY IS RUINED!

SiNFuL
07-24-2003, 08:52 PM
haha...you win.
-Galen

KiDyNomiTe
07-24-2003, 09:24 PM
Some people take Initial D waaaay to seriously. Its a freakin cartoon. Cartoons arent meant to be 100% realistic, or else they would make a real life movie (even then it wouldnt be realistic).

Initial D is entertaining, but if you sit thier and start pointing out these little things about it your of course not gonna enjoy it. Overanalyzing anything ruins it.

Unless its a freakin documentary then a few faults here and there are no biggy. Just watch to enjoy, not to learn (although some lessons can be learned from Initial D).

NZO
07-24-2003, 09:27 PM
Its simple. Everyone wants to look cool by thinking they discovered initial d and drifting first and if other people like it, it becomes less exclusive.

AceInHole
07-24-2003, 09:58 PM
I still think that Initial D does (or seems like it was supposed to) teach one good lesson: nothing beats seat time [in addition to natural ability at least]. At least early on in the series, it felt like they pushed that Takumi drove the mountain pass every single morning for like 5 years(?). That's a helluva lot of seat time.
I also like how they show that the driver can make a bigger difference than the car.

Anyways... sorry if Initial D was such a bad thing. I'll admit I was one of the mIRC guys that participated in getting it fan-subbed and distributed. Was a big anime freak back then.... I still watch Initial D for fun every once in a while every now and then.... although I think I do it more as an anime fan than a car enthusiast.

DuffMan
07-24-2003, 10:03 PM
Initial D is great. Of course it's not realistic it's a cartoon.

99% of live action car related entertainment is not realistic. Why would you expect a cartoon to be?

wherezmytofu
07-24-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by DuffMan
Initial D is great. Of course it's not realistic it's a cartoon.

99% of live action car related entertainment is not realistic. Why would you expect a cartoon to be? coming from a super good drifter as urself i really respect ur comments:bowdown: :coolugh:

GotDriftS14
07-24-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by lotusdrift
Its just the typical 'holier than though' attitude on the internet.

For some reason people can't like something if its really popular, which is just as bad as liking something just because it is popular.

yeah thats what i was gonna say, good analysis hehehe.

RedlineRacer
07-25-2003, 10:21 AM
How do you guys watch it? I can't find a channel that plays them. I thought Cartoon Network might, but they don't. Or tech tv (they started played anime's) but they don't either.

SiNFuL
07-25-2003, 12:12 PM
Kazaa baby...
1st Stage - 26 ep.
2nd Stage - 13 ep.
3rd Stage - Movie(movie)
4th Stage - Extra Staeg(one ep.)
5th Stage - Battle Stage(one ep.)