PDA

View Full Version : What is going on with my Focus???

logik23
07-06-2010, 04:59 PM
So I have a 2003 Focus with the 16v engine. The coolant overflow tank is pressurized (there is no radiator cap) and it sits right above the serpentine belt.

I bought it about a month ago and once in a while the serpentine belt will squeal, but it's not often and it doesn't last long.

Last week, it overheated, so I pulled over and the overflow tank was empty so I bought some coolant at the gas station and filled it up.

Yesterday, the car overheated again so I pulled over and saw that the overflow tank was cracked and the coolant was leaking out onto the serpentine belt. The belt squealed more then usual, but it went away after a while.

So today, I bought a new overflow tank and a new cap and replaced it. But after I did this, the car is still overheating and the belt is making all kinds of noises. Like grinding, squealing, knocking, some end of the world type stuff. People who don't know cars would think my engine will blow up.

So on the way home, my power steering stopped working, my automatic transmission light kept coming on and off (I'm assuming it's overheating along with my engine because it only came on when the engine temp went into the red) and my battery light kept coming on. I guess my belt isn't turning the pulleys properly.

Now, I think it's overheating because the waterpump is not turning because it's run by the same belt as the alternator and power steering pump. The AC is also the same pump and the symptoms get worst when I turn it on.

So I finally get home after stopping like 20 times to let the engine cool down and when I get home I figure that the burnt coolant is making the pulleys stick so I hose off the strap and the pulleys for a few minutes while the engine is off and then I do it for like 30 seconds with the engine running and the engine turns itself off.

It started up again, but I only just moved into my parking space and left it there.

What the hell is going on??????????

XeroX
07-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Sounds like you need a new belt. It was slipping before and probably wasnt turning the water pump enough to cool down the motor. You may have overheated it to the point where you damaged the car.

As a side note, i am sure there are some focus forums you could post on and get some ideas...but if i didnt know any better it sounds like you have some real issues...

BTW, next time dont hose down your engine bay, its really easy to short out electrical connections and cause all sorts of problems untill the water dries up, Or better yet until you find out what fuze you blew!

silpena
07-06-2010, 05:21 PM
its a resister for the fan/ or thermostat i believe or something like that. My twin bro had the same isse with his focus. Once he replaced it was all good. Check it out.

I LUV MY S13
07-06-2010, 05:23 PM
it probably shut off because of the hosing you did, replacethe belt and go from there

logik23
07-06-2010, 05:26 PM
I didn't hose down the whole engine, just the side of it with the belt. There is nothing electrical there and if there was, it would get soaked when I drive through a big puddle.

Would a resistor make the belt make that much noise?? lol

sleep
07-06-2010, 05:38 PM
wouldn't the belt be the first replacement to come to mind? it is seven years old...

moocowmoo
07-06-2010, 06:45 PM
this sounds similar to something that happened to my uncle.....i could POSSIBLY (noguarntees) be the ac compressor pully is messed up... has a point where it stops spinning or is seized... which would cause squeaking, and slow down your whole rotation.... but if that was the case, the belt would have probably broken...

try changing the belt first

silpena
07-06-2010, 06:50 PM
id check the pulleys and change the belt first. With my bro he changed the fans, pump, belts and no help untill he found out it was some stupid resister ford uses on those cars. Seems to be common. I think your fans arnt kicking on. Wiring to the ignition so they run all the time be a try to rule that out. I think the resistor only cost like 35-50.00

I LUV MY S13
07-06-2010, 06:53 PM
this sounds similar to something that happened to my uncle.....i could POSSIBLY (noguarntees) be the ac compressor pully is messed up... has a point where it stops spinning or is seized... which would cause squeaking, and slow down your whole rotation.... but if that was the case, the belt would have probably broken...

try changing the belt first

the belt can actually sustain that seizure. ive cars just stall because the ac compressor canno longer rotate putting a load on the rest of the motor eventually stalling it

moocowmoo
07-06-2010, 07:00 PM
the belt can actually sustain that seizure. ive cars just stall because the ac compressor canno longer rotate putting a load on the rest of the motor eventually stalling it

ive (personally) never seen that, ours broke.. but thats good to know in case this happens again. thanks!