PDA

View Full Version : No Power to Headlights.

BspeedIL82
07-05-2010, 09:21 PM
A few weekends ago, I was out joy riding my vert for once. It was pretty late, so obviously my headlights were on and all markers were working. All of a sudden I have a total power failure. I knew instantly what it was, my battery in the trunk. The power cable had somehow come apart at the terminal. Easy fix...
What I didn't understand, was that my headlights wouldn't power on. All marker lights/tails come on. The headlights come up. The headlights won't turn on though.
I thought that maybe I had somehow blown the headlights?? I went and got new replacements. Still no juice to the headlights. I checked all fuses under the dash. Checked the fuses in the engine bay.

I'm sorta at a spot now where I'm wondering if it could somehow be my combination switch?? Could that have somehow shorted out when the power failed?? Or maybe a relay??? If thats the case-how would one go about sorting this out correctly?

Thanks guys
B

g6civcx
07-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Your headlight timer may be burned out.

BspeedIL82
07-06-2010, 11:10 AM
I will have to look into that...thanks.

g6civcx
07-06-2010, 11:25 AM
It's a black box with a weird L shape bracket tucked underneath the driverside fusebox.

Take a look.

If yours is burned out I can send you one if you cover shipping for me.

BspeedIL82
07-07-2010, 01:14 AM
Awesome!! Thanks a bunch.

How would I go about testing it?

g6civcx
07-07-2010, 08:25 AM
There really isn't much you can do other than smelling it or opening it to see if the circuit is blown. Most likely you'll break it during disassembly any way.

BspeedIL82
07-20-2010, 12:38 PM
Well, I managed to get my replacement timer today. And still with no luck, the headlights themselves aren't turning on. Everything else works, just no headlight.

I have switched all the relays around under the hood just in case there may have been a faulty one..nothing. Im beginning to wonder if its the switch?

Any way to determine if thats the culprit?

Sileighty_85
07-20-2010, 04:41 PM
might be the headlight stalk, it can be easily removed
Inside are little paddle contacts, take some fine sand paper and clean in between the contacts, if that fixes it then thats your culprit.

BspeedIL82
07-20-2010, 09:33 PM
by headlight stalk, u r referring to the switch behind the steering wheel on the left, right?

Sileighty_85
07-20-2010, 10:17 PM
Right the head light switch, take off the Steering wheel cover and there should be two screws that hold it in place

BspeedIL82
07-23-2010, 01:35 PM
I got a replacement headlight switch. Still no headlights.

Are you kidding me?? I'm beginning to wonder what this could really be?? A short somewhere??

Does anyone know which wires to test that should be supplying power to the headlights or switch??